I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Gastric Sleeve

Hello,

I attended my first seminar, that was a requirement for me to be able to meet with a doctor. My insurance company will not pay so I am paying out of pocket. I just received a call from the hospital to set up a consult and was told that I do not qualify because my BMI is 35 with no co-morbidities. I thought if I was self pay i just needed to be over 35 BMI. Anyone have any answers for me?

Thank you, Lisa

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bufflehead's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. K. Robert Williams
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 180 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

Default Re: Gastric Sleeve

Well, every surgeon and hospital has the right to set their own policies with respect to who they will take as a patient. I will say, if the information you are being given is correct, it is very unusual. I would call back and make absolutely sure they understand you are a self-pay patient and there is no insurance involved.
    If they really are sticking to that, then you will need to look for another surgeon/hospital. I would contact surgeon's offices directly rather than the hospital. My prediction is that it should not be hard to find medical professionals who will help you. Good luck!

Banned
    Surgery date
    02/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr.Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    03-30-2016 04:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by got2scotties View Post
    Hello,

I attended my first seminar, that was a requirement for me to be able to meet with a doctor. My insurance company will not pay so I am paying out of pocket. I just received a call from the hospital to set up a consult and was told that I do not qualify because my BMI is 35 with no co-morbidities. I thought if I was self pay i just needed to be over 35 BMI. Anyone have any answers for me?

Thank you, Lisa
    That was my case my insurgence would not pay for my surgery for the same as I also had a B.M.I. of 35 and did not have any health issue as well.
    I also was a self pay patient and went to mexico I just had surgery a month and a half ago I had to do a lot of research before I just jumped up and decided that I was going to make a big change in my life health wise I mean. I decided that Dr.Quinones was the best for me because I liked that he he is proctor from Johnson and Johnson and that he had 4 years of training as a trauma surgeon. He was chef of general at Tijuana General. He is a siting member of arbitration committee. Has done surgical residence in the U.S.. And that he also teaches other doctors to do bariatric surgery.
    To me all that really caught my eye and made me fill that he really knows what he is doing.
    I also fill that I was right because he did a great job on me I could not of ask for more. even the in cessions are really little and they are healing really good. I had done so much research on other doctor as well but Pompeii surgical really cough my eye. I would strongly recommend this doctor but no one can make you mind and ever were their are good doctors. I hope you have a good experience. The only thing that I can say is do research and see if this surgery that you are looking is right for you. Going into this surgery you will have to make life changing choices for you whole life. You can also read some more of the post on here and get a idea on what and when you have to make the choices for yourself this surgery is the best choice I could have mad and if I would have to do it again I would in a heart beet. I also payed just 4500 dlls and 50 dlls for med so if you are a self pay patient you should look into prices.

Gastric Sleeve Member goestogym's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sasse
    Last Activity
    03-30-2024 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 116 Times in 88 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 246 Times
    Blog Entries

There's an awesome place in the Las Vegas area-Called Blossom Bariatrics, Dr Umbach. The total self pay cost is 12,500. I've heard nothing but great stories and your BMI is perfect for them.

Gastric Sleeve Member goestogym's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sasse
    Last Activity
    03-30-2024 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 116 Times in 88 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 246 Times
    Blog Entries

forgot to mention phone number 702-463-3300

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

If my surgery wasnt going to be covered, I would have gone to Mexico in a heartbeat. Look into it.