Surgeon
    Dr. Courtney Doyle
    Last Activity
    04-12-2017 12:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 135 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Constantly hungry at almost 3 weeks out!

Hi, I was sleeved on March 1. Other than some pain initially, I have had no problems whatsoever. I am down 25 lbs since the preop diet so am very pleased with that. I have had no trouble with getting the required fluids, vitamins, etc.

I am drinking two protein shakes a day and two small soft meals, such as two scrambled eggs or the small can of tuna with light mayo. I don't feel full, I don't feel the restriction of the sleeve, nothing. It is starting to concern me. My doc swears my stomach is the size of her thumb - and she's tiny - but I am just not feeling it.

I have tried to analyze whether this is "head hunger" but it certainly FEELS like "stomach hunger".

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member TxBeauty85's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    09-28-2016 11:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Constantly hungry at almost 3 weeks out!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuimagine View Post
    Hi, I was sleeved on March 1. Other than some pain initially, I have had no problems whatsoever. I am down 25 lbs since the preop diet so am very pleased with that. I have had no trouble with getting the required fluids, vitamins, etc.

I am drinking two protein shakes a day and two small soft meals, such as two scrambled eggs or the small can of tuna with light mayo. I don't feel full, I don't feel the restriction of the sleeve, nothing. It is starting to concern me. My doc swears my stomach is the size of her thumb - and she's tiny - but I am just not feeling it.

I have tried to analyze whether this is "head hunger" but it certainly FEELS like "stomach hunger".

Any suggestions or ideas?

Thank you!
    Wow!! I can barely get in ONE protein shake a day! ?? I have to mix it with water or else I will be severely dehydrated. I can not eat more than a few bites/spoons of ANYTHING.. I used to get so annoyed!!! Now I am thankful because I know my sleeve is really tight and working well! Im not sure if it is head hunger or stomac hunger, but the fact you can get in two shakes a day is amazing only 3 weeks out. I could be wrong though. Or maybe I am just comparing it to the size of my sleeve and struggle! lol

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

Are you craving particular foods or just want to eat anything? If you are craving a particular food, that's more like head hunger. If you feel your stomach rumbling, that's actually usually your intestines moving around, not a hunger pain. If you feel hunger pains higher up, almost like heartburn, that could be more like real hunger. Or it could be more like a heartburn/reduction in stomach acid issue; I was put on a Prevacid type prescription, and when I went off it I felt like I was having heartburn all the time. I started taking an OTC acid reducer, and now I don't feel that heartburn/hunger feeling at all.

Are you drinking enough water? Thirst can often be masked as hunger pains. Are you getting in at least 64 ounces of water?

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Canuimagine's Avatar
    Name
    Cheryl
    Surgery date
    03/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Courtney Doyle
    Last Activity
    04-12-2017 12:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 135 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, I am not craving any one thing, just feels hungry. I take Mexium every day too...I also have no problem getting in more than 64 oz of fluids. I am so hungry I am shaking. Not time for another protein shake for another two hours!!! I am afraid it will always be this way! ��

Name
    Stacy Devenney
    Surgery date
    04/27/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tuggle
    Last Activity
    09-04-2020 02:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 97 Times
    Was Thanked 147 Times in 104 Posts

To add to what Sarcastic_Bard said, since you are still drinking most of your calories, and eating a few soft things, those are not going to fill your stomach up. When you start eating chicken and other meats for protein, believe me, you will feel the restriction and fullness and you shouldn't be as hungry. Try and drink more water and see if that helps with the hunger. It's a learning process. Good luck!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

You may be experiencing hypoglycemic episodes. Do you happen to have a glucometer at home? If not, you can buy one at the drugstore and when you experience shaking/headache/faintness, you can check your blood sugar.

Did you have low glucose symptoms before the surgery when you didn't eat for a few hours? I do, and it worries me that they'll only get worse after the surgery.

Maybe you could try having half your shake, then 2-3 hours later, take the other half, so that you're getting a steady influx of fuel every two - three hours.

Also, check the sugars and carbs on your shake and be sure they're not too high....that will shoot your blood glucose up fast and you'll have a crash afterwards.

This is called "reactive hypoglycemia" and not everyone will experience it, but you may be one who does.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Munecagirl85's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley mejia
    Surgery date
    11/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr rodriguez juarez mexico
    Last Activity
    03-17-2017 06:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 104 Posts

Well this sounds like head hunger if you cant feel any restriction. I wasnt hungary untill the first month i even postd about it here, but i also felt my reatriction as soon as i ate. I get hunagry a lot real hungar so i know not everyone experiences this some people forget to eat!!! I wish! ... So bc of this i have to snack a lot but i am careful what to snack on its usually beef jerkey (i can tolerate some can not) and pumkin seeds and it keeps the edge untill a next meal or a real snack time so my day looks like this
    7am protien shake w 2tns pb powder 7 10am i sip no food or evem snacks it keeps me full but about the 10 ish 1015 mark i cant hold out any longer
    I grab my jerrky or seeds pre measured out
    1030 is usaually cheese w protien pretzels a yoguart or cottage cheese or turkey and cheese
    1130 iam starving so i go in for the rest of my jerky or seeds or half a protien bar untill 1 lunch
    Like 230'iam hungary again so maybe an egg
    Then a snack before home cheesestick or rest of my bar then i have dinnner and i
    Refuse to eat after that and usually by bed time iam starving again but i drink my tea and vitamins

I have kept a good journal of times iam hungary and triggers its may help you pinpoint hungar vs head mine was real ibe had plenty ofmdays where like to ight iam not hungary but its the end of the week and i just poped a cookie very very bad and habits do creep back thats why we have to be careful lifelong

First goal 295- 4-11-16

Second goal 265 - 8-15-16 (that took forever lol halfway there!)

3rd goal 200 -

ATLAST final goal 165-

Surgery date
    03/10/2016
    Surgeon
    M. Wayne Westmoreland
    Last Activity
    10-27-2016 06:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 235 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 63 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times
    Blog Entries

You are not alone. I have been worried because I keep reading about people only being able to eat 2 or 3 bites and that has not been me at all. I have been purposely measuring my food to keep it between 3 to 4 ounces though my shakes, I've just been dividing in half and might have the 2nd half later as my nighttime snack.

Today was my first day of pureed food and I was so happy because I was finally going to be able to eat something beside liquid when I discovered for the first time there are just certain things I don't like or want. I was looking forward to an egg because I really got into them before I started all of these liquid diets. But it was so cold that I thought I should have the oatmeal instead. Turns out I didn't like the oatmeal at all so I threw it away after a couple of bites. I'm not sure if it was oatmeal all together or just the diet version.

So I finally made me an egg which I loved the first 2 bites. Then my boss called and talked and talked to where of course the egg was cold by the time I got off the phone. I ate it anyway but the thrill was gone.

So for lunch I made refried beans. I had so been looking forward to them but discovered that I don't like them that much as a main dish. I didn't even eat all I could because I just didn't like them that much and I wonder if I might have felt full for a change.

For supper, I originally made tuna but I couldn't stand the texture so I threw that out. I then got cottage cheese which I had been looking forward to but even that was a disappointment.

Anyway, I'm hoping that the more solid foods and the more real protein I can start eating that I will finally stop feeling like I could eat more if I just let myself. I love my food scales.

I do need to get in more liquids so I'm going to work on that to see if it helps. I also need to eat more protein.

I am enjoying walking more.

Maybe we will just need to keep encouraging each other and hopefully this too shall pass.

Starting pre-op diet weight: 357
    Surgery date weight: 337
    Goal weight: 150

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

Im having a very similar experience, I dont have a huge amount of restriction. I can drink no problem and eat eggs and now chicken and tuna no problem. I do find that when Im having acid issues, I do feel more hungry. Ive learned to just eat and drink slowly. Shaking is NOT normal, however.