Jayme Stokes
    Last Activity
    08-16-2016 01:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

Default question for exercisers:

How are you getting the energy for your workouts?

With only consuming half of what we used to, I'm wondering if exercise is more challenging because you don't have the calories to produce the stamina for longer or intense workouts. Also, does exercise make you more tired post sleeve?

I know a lot of you say you have more energy than before, but I'm asking those of you who worked out regularly PRE-sleeve: How are you managing the restriction in combination with working out? What differences have you noticed in stamina/hunger? Have you had to make changes to your workouts?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Deborah
    Surgery date
    12/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Sayeed Ikramuddin
    Last Activity
    08-28-2016 08:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: question for exercisers:

Early on (right around 6 weeks to 2 months) I felt faint a couple of times - not for dehydration. Likely because of calories, or just because I hadn't worked out that hard in 6 weeks. I discussed with my nutritionist and now i've added an extra protein shake in. I have about 1/2 before and 1/2 after. I use a Polar heart rate monitor, so I know i'm basically burning the calories that are going in each day i work out. (I'm just now 3 months post op, so my calories are still pretty low). Anyway - you just have to pay attention to your body. I seem to be able to get a good 45 min strength/cardio workout in now without feeling sick now.
    12/23/2015: 222.5 - first post op (-7.5)
    01/20/2016: 210 - (-12.5)
    02/22/2016: 199.8 - (-10.2)
    04/06/2016: 189.8 - (-10.0)
    06/27/2016: 174.0 - (-15.8)
    Total lost since 1st appointment: (86)

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristi
    Surgery date
    07/16/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr John Gonzalez Jr
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 110 Times
    Blog Entries

I started out with just walkin, then cardio and weight machines, then group exercising like HIIT and Zumba. I got bored with the gym just using the cardio and weight machines that I decided to join a gym that does weight/strength - cardio fitness. I love it because it's not the same old routine everyday and using free weights and TRX plus your own body weight resistance. Yes, it takes a lot of energy. My nutritionist has me drinking amino acid supplement you mix with water, it's by Thorne and comes in either berry or lemon/lime flavor so I sip on this during workout and seems to help curb appetite. I guess the trick is waiting an hour after a meal before exercising. May just want to try 30 minutes at first and see how you feel during or afterwards. I also would recommend the same thing about the protein drink pre and post exercise.

6. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I eat more.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thicknsweet's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/02/2016
    Surgeon
    Jayme Stokes
    Last Activity
    08-16-2016 01:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

REally? How much more? An extra shake? Post work out?

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

PROTEIN. It's a lifesaver. I've been strength training and weight lifting since 2014, and I always have a ton of water with me that has a liquid fruit flavored protein concentrate added to it. Make sure you've eaten about 30-40 minutes before you workout, so that you have calories/energy in your system but enough time has passed so you can start drinking again. I do the protein in my water thing, but you can also try a protein shake afterwards. Like, right afterwards, within 15 minutes of finishing the workout.

I don't focus as much on cardio at the gym as I used to, because I'm walking everywhere anyways. I focus more on getting more toned and getting all muscle-ey. Because of this I don't get really faint or sweat a crazy amount. Avoid the hot tubs and steam rooms! At least in the beginning. I'm cleared to swim, which I prefer over the treadmill or elliptical anyways, but at three months out I am still not cleared to use the hot tubs or saunas.

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I just made it a habit. Even if I didn't "feel" like it. I started getting up an hour early and spending 45-60 min on the bike. I watch a fav out of the ever or Netflix to pass the time. Sometimes I have lots of energy and go kinda beast mode, sometimes I have zero and just go thru the motions on low intensity. For me, not breaking my habit it key. And some days I'm really hungry and consume more (typically more snacks). Some days, not so much. It's a learning process to "hear" what your body is asking for and respond accordingly.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

Ive been back at the gym since day 5..(with the okay from my surgeon) and I have no issues, I do 70 mins of cardio 6 days a week, I am definitely more hungry when I workout this much, I do add a protein shake, or 3 ounces of tuna. Im at about 600 calories a day, and burn the same amount (or more) at the gym. I feel fine while Im there...if I start to get hungry or tired at the gym, I stop

16. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

You need more calories to work out. I don't think I could run 3 miles a day on 400 calories. So I do eat more than I did at the beginning, I'd say I eat like a normal person, just in lesser amounts. I still stick to the rules of protein first, etc. I snack on protein bars, nuts, low-fat Greek yogurt, etc. It's been 2 1/2 years since surgery.

I was starting to have huge drops in blood sugar while exercising, and my nut said I need a protein/carb snack before working out. it has helped.

18. Said thanks: