Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-09-2016 01:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Sip, Sip, Sip...etc.

I've read so many times that you need to get in x-amount of ounces of protein or liquid, etc a day. But then I read where you can only take little tiny sips. How tiny are we talking? Just enough to get your lips wet or enough to actually quench a thirst? I know you probably can't take big gulps but I'm also assuming as time goes by, you'll be able to taking bigger sips?

What about when you actually get to start eating solid foods again. Do you take a normal bite of food or are they tiny pieces? Were you afraid to take a normal bite? I think that's the part I'm worrying about. I don't want to take a bite like I am use to now and be in a terrible amount of pain. I'm not sleeved yet but just trying to get as much info as I can right now.

So what was it like for you when you were first sleeved and how about now?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stacia
    Surgery date
    03/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stanley Hoehn
    Last Activity
    07-03-2016 09:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Sip, Sip, Sip...etc.

Keep in mind, I'm only on week 2, but I suggest starting small and working your way up. I started with small sips and am now up to a normal size drink. I'd compare it to filling the back of your mouth and swallowing. Don't gulp. I made this mistake and had chest pain from it. Same with food. Someone told me to eat everything with a fork when I started on creamy and solid foods. I put food just on the end of the fork and wait a little while between bites. So far so good. Hope this helps.

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

It really depends, I've been able to drink normally since the beginning....dont worry, you will do great!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

I don't know that I can explain the tiny sips but you'll know how much you should swallow at one time. You don't be drinking any more than an 1/8 of a cup to start with, which is a couple of tablespoons. It is possible to get all of your fluids in by sipping every 10 minutes all day. Start when you get up and stop when you go to bed. When you are finally on solid foods take tiny bites, much like you would feed a baby that is just starting to eat. Chew everything until it's the consistency of applesauce before swallowing. Use food scales to help with portion control.

I'm a year out and I still use my food scales, measuring cups, and spoons to control my portions. If I have to eat out I portion out the amount I'm going to eat either in a different section of the plate or on an appetizer plate. I know using food scales isn't what everyone does for long term success but it's what I need to do to maintain my weight loss. You'll have to find what works for you. My advice, while you are in the weight loss phase don't forget to think about what you will do when you get to your goal weight (I'm sure you'll make it). My doctor advised me to have a plan in place. So far it's worked good and although I mentally got to my goal weigh tat 145 my body decided I needed to drop a few more pounds.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Robbie1971's Avatar
    Name
    Robert Crowe
    Surgery date
    09/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Andrew Wu
    Last Activity
    05-18-2016 05:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

After the first week or two I drink normal mouthfuls. Never been a sipper except during meals I'll take a couple sips only. thing that gets me is my protein shakes. I fill up fast. Time my stomach let's me know its full for the moment I've hit the 'ugh I drank to much to fast point'
    Protein 70+grams. Water at least 64 oz.
    Bites best to go small. In order to make the meal last 20+ minutes. Don't use the big dinner plates. Use the smaller ones. Big ones with our portion sizes makes it look so very small. I personally got child spoon,forks. helps with bite sizes. Just remember to put your utensils down and take breaks after couple bites. You really want to give your stomach time to let you know its satisfied...... Key word here satisfied not 'full'

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

You're only sipping in the beginning. In a few weeks, you start drinking more normally again. By a month in, you'll be drinking much more normally.

Somehow, that "sip-sip-sip" miscommunicates to newbies that that's the way they'll ALWAYS be drinking.

Nope -- just in the very beginning. And yes, in the beginning you have to do that pretty much all day to get all your 64 ounces of liquids down.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89