Dr. David Martin
    Last Activity
    11-11-2016 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 242 Times
    Was Thanked 173 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 152 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What we eat drives our success

We all travel the paths that work best for us. If I had walked into a Dr.'s office and been told that I was going to do phase 1 Atkins for the rest of my life, I would have run screaming for the hills. It's NOT sustainable for me, even with a smaller appetite. It may be sustainable for someone else.

For a couple of years before I decided that I couldn't sustain weight loss without the help of surgery, I was a member of a group that recommended moderation. I'm hoping that by the time I reach goal, I will be comfortable living that way. The surest way for me to want to over consume a type of food is to deny myself that food.

I don't think that anyone here means to offend the original poster. She herself notes that she thinks her center is stricter than the rest of ours. There are MANY successful sleevers on here who do moderation and not restriction, that's all. I just think that for some people, the all or nothing approach is what ultimately led us to be heavy enough to consider surgery. For me, this is all about sustainability.
    I'm doing it right for ME if I'm getting results, just as you are doing it right for YOU if you are getting results and are happy with your life.

Highest Weight 273
    Day of Surgery 252 (-21)
    Month 1 - 236 (-16)
    Month 2 - 230 (-6)
    Month 3 - 222 (-8)
    Month 4 - 210 (-12)
    Month 5 - 202 (-8)
    Month 6 - 196 (-6)
    Month 7 - 187 (-9)
    Month 8 - 182 (-5)

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Toby Broussard
    Last Activity
    11-13-2017 12:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Gee... Really...I never intended to panic or discourage anyone. I was speaking specifically to those with serious carb addictions. Those I see here who have had surgery two years ago and only lost 30 lbs because they keep eating foods they are addicted to. Please, everyone... You can end your defense of carbs! Eat what you want! I can't, because I'm a carb and sugar addict, and I was killing myself. But really, it's obvious to me that many of you are successful while still eating those things. Really...i get it!

I called my dietician this afternoon because of all the negative feedback I received. I shared my post with her...a woman with a PHD and 25 years experience... And she explained to me that most people are like you are, but that people like me need to avoid starches and sugar (not in green non starchy veggies and very occasional fruit) because eating those things would be the same as a coke addict occasionally doing crack. Since most of their patients are like me, they advocate avoiding those things for life.

After talking with her, I decided this is not the place for me. Thanks for being welcoming and for warning others not to be frightened by what I said. I wouldn't want to scare anyone. Bye and good luck to you all!

Gastric Sleeve Member garrison36's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    10-03-2017 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 26 Times
    Blog Entries

I had to think before I replied.... Maggy, Get back on here and let us all know if after a year you cut all those things out your life PERMANENTLY. Also all of us were bigger at one point and got that way from just eating too much period, not just sugars or carbs. I personally got the sleeve to use as a tool and it helps as it is suppose to and I have learned to eat period in moderation of the things I like. So that being said I will def try to see what you are eating in a year and I BET YOU your eating a lil of everything and hopefully in moderation. SO PLEASE DON'T GET MAD AT MY POST BUT YOUR TOO NEW TO JUDGE. (NO SHADE....)

Surgeon
    Toby Broussard
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

I never judged...that was NEVER what my post was about. Like I've said, I had 57 years to gain 250 lbs, and *I* have a carb/sugar addiction. I may be new to the surgery, but I'm NOT new to this knowledge. I was diagnosed with insulin intolerance in the 80s...where most people begin metabolizing their food within five minutes, multiple tests I had run over the course of a year showed my body doesn't start metabolizing food for 53 minutes, meaning my body holds on to everything like I'm starving. I've had multiple metabolic physicians over the past 30 years tell me that my body is addicted to carbs and sugars, but I didn't want to believe that. I wanted to be able to eat whatever I wanted. It wasn't until my body started to seriously break down that I finally gave in and ate a diet tailored to break me from the addiction, and I IMMEDIATELY saw a difference in my weight, my health...no more vaginal and skin yeast infections, no more sugar spikes, no more insulin reactions.

I don't know HOW MANY TIMES I have to say that my original post was NOT for everyone. It was for people with the same medical problem I have. Geez, I wish to GOD I'd posted that in the original post or just not posted it at all! I'm NOT new to this diet. I've been on it since August and am FINALLY free of the agony I've been experiencing for 30 years. I got this surgery as a tool to speed up my weight loss and help me, but I am NOT going back to eating the things that were killing me EVER.

Sure...I'll be happy to post in a year. But what I want to say now is shame on ALL of you for saying "We'll see how you're eating in a year." Would you say that to an alcoholic or drug addict? I'm SURE you wouldn't! ALL of you who said and thought those things have NEVER suffered from an addiction like this. (You may have had a food/eating addiction, which is psychological, but NOT a physical addiction.) Our psychiatrist says that breaking THIS addiction is more difficult than breaking a heroin or coke addiction. Those of you who haven't suffered from it have ZERO idea what YOU'RE talking about when it comes to this. I'm sure NONE of you would try to tempt an alcoholic with booze or a drug addict with heroin, but you're all so smug when saying I can't break my addiction and stick with it.

I know HUNDREDS of people who have broken this addiction for years! It can be done. My diet is NOT restrictive (except with the surgery now). I eat everything I want, just with little changes. It's very healthy...proteins and green vegetables with a little fruit. So WHAT if I don't eat pasta, bread or potatoes?? I eat spaghetti squash, zoodles, egg "bread" and cauliflower or turnips instead. I ENJOY what I eat! I DON'T feel deprived OR depraved for telling the truth to other carb addicted people.

The reason this forum isn't for me is that this post has shown me how judgmental and unsupportive the regulars and "leaders" are for people who aren't exactly like them. I'm one of those people. I have DIFFERENT issues that YOU don't have. There are others on this forum who have the same issues, haven't lost hardly ANY weight, and just don't realize it because they haven't had the same medical tests I've had. I was just trying to help those people. I'm not some evil pariah who was trying to discourage or scare people as SOME of you have implied. I'm a very nice person trying to share my knowledge about a very serious problem. That was IT.

Thanks again. I'm disappearing now and will come back in a year to update you. Just for the record, I was hurt by the things you posted, but I wasn't angry until now. Go ahead and dangle your donuts on a stick in front of someone else's nose, but you won't do it to me!

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Maggy, if you're still "lurking" on the site; sorry you got offended enough with the opinion of others and sharing of their experience; to leave a valuable tool that many of us have successfully used along this journey. Your expert at the center did not have the surgery and is not speaking "first-hand." It's "book" smart. I believe none of us stated that we're experts or know better than anyone else, we're just sharing our perspectives and life experience; which makes us successful I really wish you the best of luck along this journey, but it would certainly help to keep an open mind as you change and life happens! Being stuck in the "I won't ever eat carbs rut" might be as unhealthy emotionally as thinking "I'll eat all the carbs I want." Open your mind and enjoy the rest of your life at a normal, healthy weight!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ryan Heider
    Last Activity
    10-19-2016 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Hi MaggyF -- Totally agree with you! Was sleeved 4+ months ago and am down 67 lbs so far... and I do not cheat either. I was a carb addict and will not open that door again. You'll find on forums and Facebook groups lots of people who will argue and say they eat whatever they want, don't deprive themselves, etc. But I don't find that at all helpful because after 30+ years of battling weight issues, I know I need to stay strictly to my high-protein, low carb vegetarian diet in order to be successful long-term. Otherwise it would be a very slippery slope. I honestly don't miss foods I used to love -- I know I used food as a coping mechanism and to reward myself -- and now food just isn't that important to me anymore. I eat clean, unprocessed, GMO-free foods -- and looking and feeling better is a way bigger reward than any food could taste these days!

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thesinger's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    12/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-25-2016 06:43 AM
    I'm a gypsy. I travel all accross the country. Midwest in the summer and Arizona in the winter.
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 57 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    Amen, Ann, I was thinking and going to post the same things. I'm not here to discourage you in any way to eat the foods you have sworn off for life, but being 5 years out and eating some of the foods you've sworn off; I feel successful. One day at a time, trial & error, and some common sense have been keys to my success. I also like Ann, didn't eat any of the aftermentioned foods until I was well over 1 year out, but now I'm enjoying life and still working the program.
    Continued success, and remember to be kind to yourself
    I agree with Ann2 and Jersey girl. There is no way in heck that I would not be able to eat some sugar and other stuff later. As of right now I don't like the taste of bread or pizza it actually makes me gag when I take a bite of bread or pizza so for me that is a good thing since its only been 2 months. I have seen many posts that say in the next 6 months my tastes will change again. And I see that happening already. I wish you success if you can stick to that but I can't imagine how somebody could. Kudos for you in trying. One thing this surgery has taught me, is to think like a thin and healthy person and by that I mean anything is OK in moderation. Moderation is the key. + exercise in my case. Good luck to you girl. I know it can be tough but if it's something that you really want you can achieve it. All things are possible with the right mindset.

13. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Toby Broussard
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

MYour expert at the center did not have the surgery and is not speaking "first-hand." It's "book" smart.
    Sorry, but you're wrong. She had the surgery six years ago. Most of the people working there have had the surgery. I hate to contradict you, but in this case, with my medical issues, you are the one who's wrong.

Surgeon
    Toby Broussard
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferPaq View Post
    Hi MaggyF -- Totally agree with you! Was sleeved 4+ months ago and am down 67 lbs so far... and I do not cheat either. I was a carb addict and will not open that door again. You'll find on forums and Facebook groups lots of people who will argue and say they eat whatever they want, don't deprive themselves, etc. But I don't find that at all helpful because after 30+ years of battling weight issues, I know I need to stay strictly to my high-protein, low carb vegetarian diet in order to be successful long-term. Otherwise it would be a very slippery slope. I honestly don't miss foods I used to love -- I know I used food as a coping mechanism and to reward myself -- and now food just isn't that important to me anymore. I eat clean, unprocessed, GMO-free foods -- and looking and feeling better is a way bigger reward than any food could taste these days!
    Thank you! You just made me cry! FINALLY, someone who understands what I was trying to say AND knows what I'm talking about first hand. THANK YOU for your post!! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!

Gastric Sleeve Member thesinger's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    12/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-25-2016 06:43 AM
    I'm a gypsy. I travel all accross the country. Midwest in the summer and Arizona in the winter.
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 57 Posts

Amen, Ann, I was thinking and going to post the same things. I'm not here to discourage you in any way to eat the foods you have sworn off for life, but being 5 years out and eating some of the foods you've sworn off; I feel successful. One day at a time, trial & error, and some common sense have been keys to my success. I also like Ann, didn't eat any of the aftermentioned foods until I was well over 1 year out, but now I'm enjoying life and still working the program.
    Continued success, and remember to be kind to yourself
    I agree with Ann2 and Jersey girl. There is no way in heck that I would not be able to eat some sugar and other stuff later. As of right now I don't like the taste of bread or pizza it actually makes me gag when I take a bite of bread or pizza so for me that is a good thing since its only been 2 months. I have seen many posts that say in the next 6 months my tastes will change again. And I see that happening already. I wish you success if you can stick to that but I can't imagine how somebody could. Kudos for you in trying. One thing this surgery has taught me, is to think like a sin and healthy person and by that I mean anything is OK in moderation. Moderation is the key. + exercise in my case.

Surgery date
    10/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

MaggyF,
    You guys are funny today!!! You guys are not going to make me be a mean girl today...BUT AMEN to the other that's 4 moths out and totally agreed with you. Good luck ladies.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Also I am an addict to food... an addiction is an addiction

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I apologize for not knowing she had the surgery, but I stand by my previous comments. I will no longer give any credence to this thread as I am not now, or never have been, someone who uses this site for their own personal forum or to argue with someone who might just be needing attention for some unknown reason.
    Continued success on your journey, and I wish you the best carb-free life ever

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

In the weight loss surgery world, there are two types of people: 'moderators' and 'abstainers.'

The moderators choose to moderate their intake of so-called forbidden foods and drinks, whereas the abstainers have opted to totally abstain from these food items that have been labeled off-limits.

A sleeve is a tool to a healthier, more normal life. Total abstinence from certain food items is not one of the hallmarks of a normal life.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Name
    Tomi
    Surgery date
    06/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Matthew R Crouthamel
    Last Activity
    09-27-2017 05:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 283 Times
    Was Thanked 216 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times

Rehabnurse - you've been NAILING it lately with all your advice, insights, and suggestions. Thanks for participating on this forum and brining your voice of reason. Appreciate you!

24. Said thanks: