Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    09-29-2023 05:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Well that didn't go the way I had hoped......told PCP about upcoming surgery

Today I saw my PCP. She has been my doc for many years. I had talked to her many times about having WLS; she has been with me throughout my years of struggling - even prescribing me Phentermine to help curb my appetite (I'd lose some then gain it back plus more).
    She was a real downer about WLS. She wasn't upset with going to Mexico - she even said that their health care is quite good. She has NO IDEA what the gastric sleeve is! When I explained that I would like to count on her for post op care, she said, "you should go to a surgeon for that: I can't fill up equipment or anything like that". I told her I'm not having lap band surgery - I repeated that it was Gastric Sleeve. I explained I needed her for my overall health care: nutrition, blood draws to make sure things are where they should be, etc. She said she will do it but then went into a diatribe about how most gain their weight back. I asked her how many she has treated that have. She said she has treated one patient. ONE! And that patient gained it all back - 10 years ago!

I was prepared to be "judged" for going to Mexico. I was prepared for her trying to convince me into trying a new weight loss/appetite suppressant (her M.O.). I wasn't prepared for her to not know what the Gastric Sleeve is. I was less prepared for her to tell me about her whole whopping 1 patient from a decade ago who had bypass surgery and then gained it back.

I was hoping that she would be supportive and know what she could do to help post-op. I swear, without this forum and reading through it - I'd feel completely lost/alone in navigating this.

So my rant is over - and I say "thank you" again to all of you. Your posts and questions are educational and helpful!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Well that didn't go the way I had hoped......told PCP about upcoming surgery

I would laugh, except this is such a sad situation -- her ignorance is absolutely shocking.

I swear to God -- sometimes I'd just like to go around and bitch slap idiots. And your PCP, despite the lambskins on her wall, is an ignorant idiot. Her ignorance is one thing -- if she doesn't know, she doesn't know. Although as a physician, she f**king SHOULD know about today's WLS scene, since 69% of all US adults are overweight or obese.

But her claim that "all WLS patients gain their weight back" based on having treated one WLS patient 10 years ago just makes my blood boil.

Honey, you need a new PCP.

Seriously.

A smarter one.

Who's much better educated.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Well that didn't go the way I had hoped......told PCP about upcoming surgery

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    I would laugh, except this is such a sad situation -- her ignorance is absolutely shocking.

I swear to God -- sometimes I'd just like to go around and bitch slap idiots. And your PCP, despite the lambskins on her wall, is an ignorant idiot. Her ignorance is one thing -- if she doesn't know, she doesn't know. Although as a physician, she f**king SHOULD know about today's WLS scene, since 69% of all US adults are overweight or obese.

But her claim that "all WLS patients gain their weight back" based on having treated one WLS patient 10 years ago just makes my blood boil.

Honey, you need a new PCP.

Seriously.

A smarter one.

Who's much better educated.

My eyes were opened today, that's for sure! She has been good, until now. Today was maddening.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Maxine7290's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Houston
    Last Activity
    08-08-2017 09:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I would start by getting a new PCP!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Boondocker's Avatar
    Name
    Dean
    Surgery date
    05/04/2015
    Last Activity
    08-18-2016 04:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 64 Times
    Was Thanked 47 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

Time for a new PCP ASAP.

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Physicians are paid very well for the consultative services they render. Your physician lacks the knowledge that is necessary to properly consult with you and provide your post-sleeve aftercare. In addition, she doesn't know what she doesn't know.

I'm sure she's a nice person, but please find someone who knows what they're doing. She does not deserve to consult with you on matters she knows nothing about. Good luck with your journey!

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RehabNurse View Post
    Physicians are paid very well for the consultative services they render. Your physician lacks the knowledge that is necessary to properly consult with you and provide your post-sleeve aftercare. In addition, she doesn't know what she doesn't know.

I'm sure she's a nice person, but please find someone who knows what they're doing. She does not deserve to consult with you on matters she knows nothing about. Good luck with your journey!

I knew most would say to get a new PCP - and I certainly will start looking because I'll need someone who is educated in WLS. To be fair, as my PCP for over 8yrs, she has been competent, but today was quite disappointing.

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay
    Last Activity
    01-05-2017 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 188 Times
    Was Thanked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

It was really cruel for her to say that to you... like you needed to be kicked in the gut. I wouldn't take what she said to heart. She is the one who is uninformed. I'm sorry you had that experience. One thing most of us know here is, we have to prepare ourselves for those who are anti wls. Unfortunately you didn't expect to get this from a health professional. Find someone who will be willing to do labs and treat you post op, and the rest of your life. You are the patient/customer so start interviewing new doctors. Tell them what you will need from them. I wish you the best of luck!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Belle2 View Post
    It was really cruel for her to say that to you... like you needed to be kicked in the gut. I wouldn't take what she said to heart. She is the one who is uninformed. I'm sorry you had that experience. One thing most of us know here is, we have to prepare ourselves for those who are anti wls. Unfortunately you didn't expect to get this from a health professional. Find someone who will be willing to do labs and treat you post op, and the rest of your life. You are the patient/customer so start interviewing new doctors. Tell them what you will need from them. I wish you the best of luck!

It's unfortunate that I have to add that to my list of things to do. I felt like I was pretty well prepared for surgery, but I have a lot to learn about post-op care/diet/nutrition.

I wrote to my PCP tonight through my account connected to her office. I expressed my disappointment in my discussion with her. I also told her it was clear that she had no idea what a vertical sleeve gastrectomy was. I asked if she would be interested in learning more, gave her my surgeon's info, where I am going, and explained my concern with her and my post-op care.
    I would hope that she would want to learn more and help her patients. I'd like to give her that chance. If she chooses not to take the lesson, I'll move on.

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

You need a new PCP ASAP and PDQ.

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Onopchenko
    Last Activity
    06-06-2017 12:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

I totally agree with Robert (tinman) you need a new PCP ASAP - that was inexcusable.

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/05/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Mark Kligman
    Last Activity
    06-24-2016 06:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Get a new pcp now you may need a letter of medical necessity you need the new pcp to get to know your problems

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

I'm sorry that you went through this and I know this doctor has been your primary for years, but I have to chime in with everyone else. You need a PCP who is knowledgeable and supportive about this surgery. This is major surgery and you have to be able to go to a PCP who knows the risks and possible complications, knows what to look for and check, and wants to help you work with your new stomach towards a healthier happier body. I can understand you feeling a sense of loyalty towards this PCP because of how long your patient/doctor relationship has been, but she's not being loyal to you right now.

You don't want a PCP who is going to criticize you and scare you with outdated information and factless opinions. You don't want a PCP who is going to miss a possible stricture or hernia because she doesn't even know what potential complications could arise. You want a PCP who is going to want to be a part of your success and provide you the best care after this lifestyle changing surgery, someone who gets as excited as you when you see the scale, who double checks your bloodwork specifically to make sure you aren't deficient, who congratulates you as they make the informed decision to take you off a medication. This is the way I look at it; I have embarked on a major journey. I want people who want to travel alongside me making the journey successful and uplifting. What I don't want is someone on my journey who sits on the ground criticizing the "vehicle" in which I have chosen to travel, when they don't even know how to operate the damn vehicle. If that makes sense...

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Blog Entries

***UPDATE***. My doctor called me based on my message/concerns I sent yesterday.
    She said she is not comfortable treating me post op for anything other than nutrition.
    If any infection or complications arise - she won't treat me for those.

That answers that. I'm super pissed. New PCP search begins......how's this for an opening question: "will you treat patients who have had surgery outside the country??" ��

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

Well that's a load of crap. I mean, I'm not really that surprised based on the way she spoke with you at your last appointment, but...wow. What a load of suck.

Good luck in your new search; you are making the right decision not to compromise your well being by sticking with her. I would modify your question to include if they treat patients who have had bariatric surgery, regardless of where, and if they are in support of that treatment option. Because if they aren't, there's no point in making an appointment at all.

28. Said thanks: