Surgeon
    Dr Hargroder
    Last Activity
    02-20-2016 04:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Weight gain and needing advice

Hi. I had my gastric sleeve in May 2011. I started at 350 lbs. after surgery I was wanting to make sure I hit my gods and therefore joined a gym. I worked out 6 days a week and had a personal trainer for 3 times a week. I worked out hard core for a year and a half. By dec 2012, I had dropped down to 195 lbs. I got rid of all my health issues (heart and diabetes). It seems after my weight loss surgery My body went through hell. I felt better than ever. 6 months after surgery (dec 2011) I had a big kidney stone and had it surgically removed. The next month, my urologist discovered a large mass on my scans for my kidney check up. I had a large adrenal gland tumor which was removed 2 months later in March 2012. Fortunately it was benign. Then that August 2012 I needed a hysterectomy. 3 months later I started having pain in my but and lower back. That was December of 2012. I found I had scoliosis and a 35 degree curve along with 2 bulging disc (L4/5 and L5/S1. It was now that I stopped exercising and working out. I was in too much pain. I hated not being able to stay active. I had spinal injections every 3 months over the next 2 years. I was taking hydrocodone every day also, but the pain got worse as time went by. Fortunately I was able to maintain only a 15lb weight gain from the injections and lack of exercise. January 2015 I decided to do back surgery. The hope was to get me off my pain meds and lower the back pain. It would also take away the nerve pain in my left leg. This was all just a 10 temporary fix. After about 10 yrs more, the weight of the curve in my back will cause more damage to my disc and therefore have to be fixed. In order to do that, they have yo remove my spine from my neck down. I'll no longer have range of motion again. Back to my back surgery. Right before my back surgery I started having right knee pain. I had gel injections and it helped. So Jan 2015 I had a double lumbar fusion. The surgery was asuccess. It was the outcome that wasn't. I'm worse now. I still have back pain. But I have now nerve pain in both my legs 24/7. My days consist of rotating between laying Down/sit in recliner/standing. I can't sit or stand for very long either. I had to quit my job of 17 years Bc of this. My back surgery made me be stagnant for most of the year. I also had to try different nerve medicines. One(lyrica) caused a 15 lb weight gain in TWO WEEKS. Needless to say gained 70 lbs last year. UGGH. Now my knee hurts again. I have found I have no cartlige in right knee. So now I can't even walk for exercise due to my knee. And if I don't lose weight, I'll need a knee replacement, along with more back issues faster. I have tried dieting but it's so hard to stick to it Bc when I'm hurting, I turn to food. Just about the only thing I can do for exercise now is ride a bike Bc of my knee and back. I'm getting sad but try to stay positive. My physical therapy guy asked about doing the weight loss surgery again. I'm not sure what to do. Can y'all please help. Give me some advice? Thanks so much.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

Default Re: Weight gain and needing advice

I suggest maybe going to therapy and dealing with your food addiction, also read the book Healing Back pain by Dr Sarno.
    I know youve had a ton of surgeries, but having a knee replacement isnt the worst thing in the world, if that's going to help.
    I have knee issues myself, have you ever tried the Arc trainer? I can do it on a pretty intense level and it doesn't hurt my knee at.all. Actually it's strengthened the muscles around the knee which has helped stabilize it.
    Weight loss surgery isn't a magic bullet, (as you know) I suggest managing the pain as well as you can and doing a high protein low carb diet again to take some of the weight off, not being able to exercise sucks, but we really lose weight in the kitchen.
    I wish you luck, please do seek someone to talk to, turning to food is normal for us food addicts, Id hate to see you turning that addiction into a pain pill addiction as well.

Surgery date
    07/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay
    Last Activity
    01-05-2017 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 188 Times
    Was Thanked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

I read your post and then Kelly's response. I agree with what Kelly said. Surgically fix what you can. I know a lot of people with knee surgeries and they have been very happy with the results. I think you might be in the same old viscous cycle we have been in. I too have had a lot of mobility problems. They contributed greatly to my weight gain. It is very depressing to be in pain and gaining weight. Swimming and riding bike is best for me too. It saves your body from pounding the pavement. If you go to a counselor, maybe you can make a plan. If you have someone to be accountable to, it sure helps. I wish you the best of luck. Go after this head strong! You did it before, and you can do it again....just differently.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    shaw
    Surgery date
    11/18/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. assad
    Last Activity
    10-31-2018 06:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Quote Originally Posted by meghan View Post
    hi. I had my gastric sleeve in may 2011. I started at 350 lbs. After surgery i was wanting to make sure i hit my gods and therefore joined a gym. I worked out 6 days a week and had a personal trainer for 3 times a week. I worked out hard core for a year and a half. By dec 2012, i had dropped down to 195 lbs. I got rid of all my health issues (heart and diabetes). It seems after my weight loss surgery my body went through hell. I felt better than ever. 6 months after surgery (dec 2011) i had a big kidney stone and had it surgically removed. The next month, my urologist discovered a large mass on my scans for my kidney check up. I had a large adrenal gland tumor which was removed 2 months later in march 2012. Fortunately it was benign. Then that august 2012 i needed a hysterectomy. 3 months later i started having pain in my but and lower back. That was december of 2012. I found i had scoliosis and a 35 degree curve along with 2 bulging disc (l4/5 and l5/s1. It was now that i stopped exercising and working out. I was in too much pain. I hated not being able to stay active. I had spinal injections every 3 months over the next 2 years. I was taking hydrocodone every day also, but the pain got worse as time went by. Fortunately i was able to maintain only a 15lb weight gain from the injections and lack of exercise. January 2015 i decided to do back surgery. The hope was to get me off my pain meds and lower the back pain. It would also take away the nerve pain in my left leg. This was all just a 10 temporary fix. After about 10 yrs more, the weight of the curve in my back will cause more damage to my disc and therefore have to be fixed. In order to do that, they have yo remove my spine from my neck down. I'll no longer have range of motion again. Back to my back surgery. Right before my back surgery i started having right knee pain. I had gel injections and it helped. So jan 2015 i had a double lumbar fusion. The surgery was asuccess. It was the outcome that wasn't. I'm worse now. I still have back pain. But i have now nerve pain in both my legs 24/7. My days consist of rotating between laying down/sit in recliner/standing. I can't sit or stand for very long either. I had to quit my job of 17 years bc of this. My back surgery made me be stagnant for most of the year. I also had to try different nerve medicines. One(lyrica) caused a 15 lb weight gain in two weeks. Needless to say gained 70 lbs last year. Uggh. Now my knee hurts again. I have found i have no cartlige in right knee. So now i can't even walk for exercise due to my knee. And if i don't lose weight, i'll need a knee replacement, along with more back issues faster. I have tried dieting but it's so hard to stick to it bc when i'm hurting, i turn to food. Just about the only thing i can do for exercise now is ride a bike bc of my knee and back. I'm getting sad but try to stay positive. My physical therapy guy asked about doing the weight loss surgery again. I'm not sure what to do. Can y'all please help. Give me some advice? Thanks so much.
    wow,, bless your heart,, i suffer from an unsucessful spinal fusion also,, thats why i had to have the sleeve,, my range of motion was gone,, and i was left to deal with it,, i had my kyphoplasty in 2011 and my pain is so severe,, at times i cant think,, my back is killing me now,, im only 3 months post op ive lost 80lbs,, i havent weighed myself in over a week,, i think its more like 90lbs now if not more,, my dr. Thought the sleeve would help allot of my back pain,,, nope,, my back went out yesterday i could barely walk,, so i feel your pain,, nerve damage,, i have it,, numbness and tingling,, got it,, radiating pain,, got it,, herniated disk,, got that to,,i dont have major issues with my knees so i walk and climb stairs to strengthen my legs the best i can,, since im so limited in what i can and cant do,, i hate the side effects of the pain meds so i deal with my chronic pain the best i can,, ive never talked to another spinal fusion patient,, id love to talk to you and ask you some questions,, please feel free to ask me,, anything,,,, god bless you,, i know how you feel,, your words touched my soul,, l2, l3, l4 fused

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    I have tried dieting but it's so hard to stick to it Bc when I'm hurting, I turn to food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Meghan View Post
    My physical therapy guy asked about doing the weight loss surgery again.
    I'm going to be the voice of dissent here: another weight loss surgery will not do any good if you continue to turn to food (read: overeat) when your body is hurting.

Weight loss surgeons operate on our stomachs, not our minds. Although a weight loss surgeon can perform a 're-sleeve' or conversion to gastric bypass, you will regain any weight you lose if you continue to use food as a distraction from the pain. Therefore, you need to address the psychological reasons for your overeating before considering bariatric revision surgery.

Good luck to you!

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

Many good advice given here, but medication do make us gain weight and it's hard to deal with that, I had my issues dealing with several medical problems too, mostly related to asthma/pneumonia. One medication made me gain 30 pounds in two weeks, took months to lose it after....it is discouraging!

But may be tracking your food and trying new things like swimming could help you feel better? swimming did help me a lot with back pain at some point.

Also, since you don't work, may be try new activities if you can, take classes and meet people to stay busy? or even classes online if it's really too hard to move. Staying at home alone and in pain is the worth and do make us gain weight.

Good luck and take care

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

Gastric Sleeve Member Munecagirl85's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley mejia
    Surgery date
    11/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr rodriguez juarez mexico
    Last Activity
    03-17-2017 06:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

My goodness!!! Poor thing! Anyone would have gained more with that amount of pain!!! I can kind of relate just not to your degree. I have had knee and feet issues since 15 years old when i was a looooot smaller. I remeber poping advils like candy in my first job and buying comfy shoes with my paychecks ,but i was 15 i thought that was normail untill i asked. As i grew up and got morbidly obese back pain started something firece nothing stops it! Mri showed a messed up disc... Now iam sure you have tried everything in the book ,but just incase you havent thres lots of recipes for tumeric and vitamins when I take them ( takes a while) i really notice a difference. Lots of recipes and in your case i would do them 3x a day foreverc a good quality whole food vitamin and some things for your back.. Stick w it like clockwork... Dont do another surgery work your sleeve do a pouch reset! You can and will do it i know you can

First goal 295- 4-11-16

Second goal 265 - 8-15-16 (that took forever lol halfway there!)

3rd goal 200 -

ATLAST final goal 165-

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry i am unable to read all the long blogs but what i got from your is that you can't exercise because of your med. Issues. The only thing i can suggest is aqua fit it helped me when my knee was bad. The water takes the pressure of the joints and you can move so much more than on dry land and it feels great. Good luck to you.

Surgery date
    09/07/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stephen M. Clark
    Last Activity
    10-11-2021 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

My Teeter Hang Up has helped my daughter with her scoliosis issues. Find out from your dr. whether gravity assisted traction would help. Using food to assist with emotional issues rarely has a good outcome. You need to find some better way of coping. I concur with the low carb eating solution and would further suggest you invest in a zero water filter as some people are more prone to kidney stones and hard water plus fluoride does not help.
    Starting weight 06-06-11: 215 36.9 BMI
    Weight at Surgery 09-07-11: 188 32.3 BMI
    Current Weight as of 05-15-12: 135<-- As of 145lbs No longer overweight!
    Goal: 120 <-- Ideal weight 20.6 BMI