Surgeon
    Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    06-22-2016 04:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 16 days until my sleeve!!! What do you wish you had known two weeks PRE OP??

I have a trainer I have started up with and it feels good know I am going to be able to do the Exercising a lot easier pretty soon

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Rochelle Dean
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-03-2019 08:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,197 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 16 days until my sleeve!!! What do you wish you had known two weeks PRE OP??

Quote Originally Posted by TxBeauty85 View Post
    Oh, never thought of that!! Did you have complications??
    No, I had a medical issue and developed drop foot, (paralysis of my foot ankle and right leg) I stopped exercising as much and unfortunately started eating more foods that were not good or healthy, just easy. All of this combined to stretch my sleeve and now my restriction is gone, I am back to where I started stomach wise. I have not gained any weight since my initial 78 lb. loss, but neither have I lost any more, I have been in a stall since May of 2014 when the foot issue happened. I just lose and gain right back the same 5-10 lbs. I know I can maintain, but I need help with the 70 lbs. I still need to lose, so I am going back to Dr. Almanza for a sleeve revision to make my pouch small again. I know what went wrong, I know I have no one to blame but myself and I know what to do to make it work this time around. I will not fail my tool this time.

Name
    Rochelle Dean
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I should also say, as a word of caution, my drop foot developed because of a nerve that I crushed by crossing my legs constantly. Which was something I was so very excited to be able to do once I got skinnier, that I did it all the time. I am not saying it will happen to you or anyone else, just letting people know it can happen and to not cross your legs at the knee for extended periods of time. I had been sitting in the same position for several hours, having a very intense conversation, and when I stood up, I fell down as my leg didn't work. I thought I was having a stroke. 4 months of physical therapy and many dr. bills later, I am back to normal, but it broke my stride and I let myself fall back into my bad destructive habits, too easily.

Gastric Sleeve Member TxBeauty85's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    09-28-2016 11:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by JanPit View Post
    I agree Rochelle. I didn't take my measurements, even though I have a good guesses. Measure everything, arms, thighs etc. I would have also taken a few more pictures, just for my eyes. I also would have kept a better diary for after. The one thing I did that I am glad about, two days prior to my surgery, I ate a splurge snack. I didn't go crazy, but I ate something I loved thinking I wouldn't eat it ever again. I really enjoyed those chips with salsa and cheese dip. I'm also a little sorry that I didn't keep my biggest pair of jeans. Not sure why I would want them. The pictures I have are reminder enough.
    LOL So true and so funny at the same time!!!

Im going to take heed to this advice for sure!

Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RoDean View Post
    I should also say, as a word of caution, my drop foot developed because of a nerve that I crushed by crossing my legs constantly. Which was something I was so very excited to be able to do once I got skinnier, that I did it all the time. I am not saying it will happen to you or anyone else, just letting people know it can happen and to not cross your legs at the knee for extended periods of time. I had been sitting in the same position for several hours, having a very intense conversation, and when I stood up, I fell down as my leg didn't work. I thought I was having a stroke. 4 months of physical therapy and many dr. bills later, I am back to normal, but it broke my stride and I let myself fall back into my bad destructive habits, too easily.
    OMG!!!! I cross my legs ALL THE TIME!!!!
    Thanks sooo much for this info!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Leah hagmann View Post
    I have a trainer I have started up with and it feels good know I am going to be able to do the Exercising a lot easier pretty soon
    AWESOME LEAH!!

How was the surgery with "OUR" Dr.?? :-)

I have 8 days!!! EEEKKK :-D !!

Gastric Sleeve Member princessdi's Avatar
    Name
    Diane
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Way Lee
    Last Activity
    01-15-2018 11:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 311 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 47 Posts

Take pictures! And measure! Document your progress! Something I wish I did! Also about exercise, I didn't work out at all, not one day. Just walking for cardio. My doctor actually told me not to get into a strict routine of working out daily because it won't last forever, realistically, and once you break the two hours a day every day at the gym, is when you'll start gaining weight back. Gradually work up to it. Start with walking and I recommend 3 days for light weights once you can lift. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member LaffeyTaffey's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    09/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    02-24-2021 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 288 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

Nothing! There wasn't one thing the nurse, surgeon, and nutritionist could tell me that I didn't already know. They all kept saying how they wished everyone came to them knowing what they were doing so they'd have better results. I've been losing weight at a darn good pace every month, but if I had started out at a low weight of say 200 - 250 pounds I would have exercised a lot more after a month post op. You lose weight slower at a lower start weight so it only makes sense to exercise more. I'll have to start exercising a few days a week now that I'm getting much closer to 200 pounds! I'm going to weigh myself on Monday the 22nd as that'll put me at 5 months post op. Woo!

Weight Loss:
    6 Month Requirement with Nut = 41 pounds
    1st mo = 19 pds
    2nd mo = 19 pds
    3rd mo = 9 pds
    4th mo = 16 pds
    5th mo = 11 pds
    6th mo = 9 pds
    7th mo = 4 pds
    8th mo = 1 pd (bad food choices)
    9th mo = 4 pds
    10th mo = 3 pds
    11th mo = 3 pds
    12th mo = 4 pds
    13th Mo = 3 pds

Name
    Jaime
    Surgery date
    06/25/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ungson
    Last Activity
    05-14-2019 04:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 183 Times in 124 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

Take a few full length body pictures. From the front, and from the back. I don't really have many of those and it is hard for me to see my progress sometimes.

Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jaimaroo View Post
    Take a few full length body pictures. From the front, and from the back. I don't really have many of those and it is hard for me to see my progress sometimes.
    Going to do this TONIGHT!!
    Thank you!!

Name
    Rochelle Dean
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

again, make sure day of or day before, you take your measurements.

Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RoDean View Post
    again, make sure day of or day before, you take your measurements.
    Thank you Rochelle!!
    I will!

Gastric Sleeve Member moonchild's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. John DeBarros
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

I second the favorite foods indulgence! It will be a loooooong time until you'll be able to eat any real food, and some foods forever. I didn't go crazy but I had a small buttered popcorn at the movies one week before surgery and I am so glad I did! It was soooo worth it. My nutritional guide says to avoid popcorn for life so it'll probably be a year before I'm brave enough to try.
    Also, something I don't think I saw mentioned yet, don't buy too much! I bought a bunch of liquid water flavor enhancers like crystal light because I read over and over how some people can't stand water after surgery. Well, everyone is different and I ended up ONLY being able to stand PLAIN water - hate anything too sweet. Now I'm left with 5 or so unopened containers. Oh, and tons of unused SF jello! You or someone you know can always go to the store for you
    HW - 260
    SD 12/29/15 - 247lbs (-13)
    1/20/16 - 233 (-14)
    2/20/16 - 223 (-10)

Gastric Sleeve Member ProudFather's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/12/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Morales
    Last Activity
    12-05-2016 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 12 Posts

Make sure you follow the Liquid diet pre-op to the "T". Do not cheat. Following the liquid diet and not cheating will make surgery safer, and things easier for you. First 3 days of Liquid diet was very hard for me, but 4th day and on, I was good to go, its like your body gets use to it. I lost 20 lbs on the liquid diet before surgery. Also, take all your vitamins before surgery every day as well. Will make things go smoother and get you use to that too.

Good luck!

PS: Don't go eating crazy and eating all bad things before surgery. This is the worst thing you can do. The point of the surgery is a complete lifestyle change. No reason to gorge yourself before surgery.