02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    09-28-2016 11:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 16 days until my sleeve!!! What do you wish you had known two weeks PRE OP??

HEY YALL!!! (Tx Accent)

Well, I have 16 days until my sleeve!!! I am just wondering, if you had to do it all again, knowing what you KNOW NOW, AFTER surgery...

What do you wish you had known two weeks PRE OP?? What would you have done differently? If any? How would you have better prepared yourself for your journey? I'm hoping your answers might help me a bit?!!

Cheers! God bless!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member beachgirl22851's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Janel
    Surgery date
    01/27/2015
    Surgeon
    Garwood
    Last Activity
    07-04-2017 06:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 21 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 68 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 16 days until my sleeve!!! What do you wish you had known two weeks PRE OP??

As soon as the Dr allows it and you feel up to it, get a good gym routine started early. The weight will be falling off in the beginning so it's easy to not go. But, it is important to start the habit early and make it priority just the same as getting your protein, water and vitamins daily. That is my regret- not forming that habit earlier in my post op days.
    Good luck!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member michael95472's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-12-2019 08:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Default Re: 16 days until my sleeve!!! What do you wish you had known two weeks PRE OP??

I would have ate one more deli sandwich, one more delicious hamburger and fries, and one more juicy steak and baked potato and wash it all down with an ice cold Coke. These are the only things I occasionally miss. I see people on here that still eat the stuff but I really havent. Other than that, I regret nothing and would do it again. Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member TxBeauty85's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Great advice!!!
    Thank you Janel <3

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/15/2016
    Surgeon
    DR. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-20-2020 10:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 68 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 481 Times
    Blog Entries

I wish I would have gotten checked out in the state first like a upper GI and a Gallbladder check .

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member thesinger's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    12/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-25-2016 06:43 AM
    I'm a gypsy. I travel all accross the country. Midwest in the summer and Arizona in the winter.
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Be careful with the workout part. I just had my surgery 8 weeks ago and they told me I couldn't do heavy lifting or working out for 6 weeks after surgery. You can walk and do lots of that is highly suggested after surgery. I have now been working out almost every single day I've lost 34 pounds since my surgery on December 14th comma correction 35 pounds as of today. Yea! I went from a size 22 a size 14 16. Be sure you buy one to two boxes of gas-x strips not pills and must be strips because you can't drink anything for an entire day after surgery and you will be cutting me off like you wouldn't believe. Good luck to you everything will be just fine.

10. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Thank you so much for the wonderful advice!!! I will!!

Name
    Rochelle Dean
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-03-2019 08:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,197 Times
    Blog Entries

I would have taken my measurement's, I did not do this, so when the stalls hit, all I had to work with was the scale. I think it's just as important and gratifying to see the inches come off as the pounds. I didn't take them in the beginning and it just seem pointless after that as I didn't know where I started from. I will for sure be doing that this time.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

I would have had the surgery sooner! Also, I would have taken more side by side picture to track progress and taken measurements so I wouldn't have to depend on the scale so much. I think getting into healthy habits before the surgery is very helpful, exercise, practice eating like you're already had surgery, watch thin people eat to realize how they do it, etc. I walked 1 mile the second day after surgery and never stopped. I'm up to 4 miles a day in nice weather and move my body on a daily basis even 5 years later. Seek support groups and meet other people who were successful, pick their brains, and don't get cocky about losing fast in the beginning as maintenance is quite a different process. Whatever you choose make it positive and healthy, you're going to love this journey!

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RoDean View Post
    I would have taken my measurement's, I did not do this, so when the stalls hit, all I had to work with was the scale. I think it's just as important and gratifying to see the inches come off as the pounds. I didn't take them in the beginning and it just seem pointless after that as I didn't know where I started from. I will for sure be doing that this time.
    I just learned how to reply with a quote so that people will see I am responding lol :-(

This is GREAT advice!! WOW!!

Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by RoDean View Post
    Oh, never thought of that!! Did you have complications??

Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    I would have had the surgery sooner! Also, I would have taken more side by side picture to track progress and taken measurements so I wouldn't have to depend on the scale so much. I think getting into healthy habits before the surgery is very helpful, exercise, practice eating like you're already had surgery, watch thin people eat to realize how they do it, etc. I walked 1 mile the second day after surgery and never stopped. I'm up to 4 miles a day in nice weather and move my body on a daily basis even 5 years later. Seek support groups and meet other people who were successful, pick their brains, and don't get cocky about losing fast in the beginning as maintenance is quite a different process. Whatever you choose make it positive and healthy, you're going to love this journey!
    WOW!! You just pumped me up three times more!! You are awesome!! Thank you soooo much!!

Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by beachgirl22851 View Post
    As soon as the Dr allows it and you feel up to it, get a good gym routine started early. The weight will be falling off in the beginning so it's easy to not go. But, it is important to start the habit early and make it priority just the same as getting your protein, water and vitamins daily. That is my regret- not forming that habit earlier in my post op days.
    Good luck!
    Great advice!!!
    Thank you Janel <3

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/25/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Velazquez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 54 Times

Quote Originally Posted by michael95472 View Post
    I would have ate one more deli sandwich, one more delicious hamburger and fries, and one more juicy steak and baked potato and wash it all down with an ice cold Coke. These are the only things I occasionally miss. I see people on here that still eat the stuff but I really havent. Other than that, I regret nothing and would do it again. Good luck!
    HAHAHAAH!!!! O MY!! Let me get my favorite foods in now!!

thank you Michael!!

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

I agree Rochelle. I didn't take my measurements, even though I have a good guesses. Measure everything, arms, thighs etc. I would have also taken a few more pictures, just for my eyes. I also would have kept a better diary for after. The one thing I did that I am glad about, two days prior to my surgery, I ate a splurge snack. I didn't go crazy, but I ate something I loved thinking I wouldn't eat it ever again. I really enjoyed those chips with salsa and cheese dip. I'm also a little sorry that I didn't keep my biggest pair of jeans. Not sure why I would want them. The pictures I have are reminder enough.