04/05/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr.Philip Gachassin
    Last Activity
    07-22-2016 05:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Cool Hello from South Louisiana the home of boudin, craklins, and Mardi Gras King Cake sigh : (

Hi I live in the absolute worst place on Earth to try dieting LOL. We like our rice and gravy here and we know how to cook it right lol. In Lafayette we have 3X the restaurant to population ratio in the USA thanks to the oilfield. So temptation is everywhere.
    I've done the diet thing and lost 75 plus lbs 3-4 times and always gain it back faster than I lost it. My wife had the sleeve done Nov. 2014. I have come down with osteoarthritis in my knees and I have high blood pressure and borderline diabetic so looks like I really need the sleeve surgery. I'm taking the 1st steps going to my 1st app next week. I have been reluctant to do this even though my wife has reeeallly wanted it for me since she had hers done. My main concern is weight regain 3-5 years post op. I know a couple of people who had the sleeve done and gained back most of their weight. So I'm doing my research beforehand to figure out how to absolutely prevent this from happening. I'm now obsessed with researching what I have to do to be successful because if this doesn't work I'm DONE I'll just be an old fat fart the rest of my life. LOL

PS. This will be my 1st surgery ever and yes I'm freaking a lil bit.
    Starting weight. - 322

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Mithani
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times

Default Re: Hello from South Louisiana the home of boudin, craklins, and Mardi Gras King Cake sigh : (

You will not be alone. You will have medical personnel, your wife and fellow sleevers to ask questions to or just vent.
    I can fully understand about the freaking part....all I can say is the people I have dealt with are VERY well trained and very compassionate. They will understand your fears and needs probably more than you will. You made the first step. Please do not stop. From what I heard life is a whole lot better after FOLLOWING THE DOCTORS ORDERS. Just an opinion here: those that gained all their weight back did not do that. If you are like most people, you will have your good days and bad. When the good days come enjoy every minute. When the bad days occur feel free to vent to the forum [us} , call your doctor or nutritionist or keep a journal to figure out what might have gone wrong. Everyone is different [something you will hear often.] so feel free to ask questions here...someone should have the answer for you somewhere. About the freaking out part....usually they will give you some medication before the surgery that will relax you...usually through the IV or an injection. Ask the medical staff or your doctor about it.
    I will agree Lafayette is one of the best places to eat...but southeast Texas is not too far behind.
    I sounded like a know it all with all that I just said....but believe me when I say I do not have all the answers. I had my sleeve on the 22nd of this month so I just started my journey to successful weight loss. I have been on a liquid diet since then { I tolerate it, BUT DO NOT ENJOY IT} Hang it there. We will be thinking of you. Take care

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Hello from South Louisiana the home of boudin, craklins, and Mardi Gras King Cake sigh : (

Welcome!! Research is the absolute best thing to do, very important. You have 1st hand experience knowing what's going to happen since your wife was sleeved. I'm 13monrhs out. The first few months were most definitely the hardest but each day got better. Over the summer I felt great. My only issue was constipation. No matter what I took to help I wasn't regular. I've had no issues for the past few months. I feel great. I lost 127lbs, I have maintaining 128lbs for 4 months. I have to eat 2100 calories a day or I will continue to loose. I have a little heart burn sometimes.....I have a hiatal hernia that wasn't fixed when I was sleeved. Your going to hear lots of stories of success. You'll also read a few stories of people having a hard time. You really need to weigh the pros and cons. Make a list. If you do get the sleeve then you will have energy, you will not become diabetic, you'll become healthy and feel good, you won't die from being ovese....my list was mostly pros. I was scared. The only surgery I had before was getting tubes in my ears when I was 8 and tonsils removed when I was 18.
    Like you I would loose weight and gain it back plus some. I believe if I didn't get sleeved I would be almost 300lbs
    The people that gained their weight back...they didn't follow the rules. They had to gave worked at overeating and eating the bad stuff. I feel like I would have to work really hard to stretch my stomach and gain back all my weight.
    Right now I eat what I want, in small amounts. Not like before where I would fill up my plate and then have seconds, eat bags of candy, bowls of ice cream etc.
    I'm not on a diet. I'm living a new lifestyle.
    Goodluck!
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

I did years of research, and I was really scared too, especially by the anesthesia. I had my sleeve on January 20 and I know it's one of the best decision I ever made.
    Now regarding the food, my main issue was quantity, I would eat two plates. My surgeon said if I was eating surgar or fat, a by pass would have been better for me, but in my case a sleeve was perfect. Also he said that since I travel across the world, a by pass is not an option, I would not be able to find vitamins sometimes in some countries. Your first visit with your doctor should answer lots of your questions: my surgeon did say that a little gain is normal around 18 months to 2 years after surgery but should not be more than 10% of the loss, or it's a nutrition issue. I will be extra careful when I reach that time! Good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

I am a southern girl too and I know about that gravy, it is rough on the hips. You will do great just ask lots of questions and we will help.

Good luck

Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Donna Rudewick's Avatar
    Name
    Donna Rudewick
    Surgery date
    07/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Asahel Lee Gridley, MD
    Last Activity
    08-28-2017 02:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 55 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 210 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello there!! Im in Louisiana as well. Just outside of Slidell in Pearl River La. Dont we just have the best food? lol Good luck to you..Seems like youve gotten some pretty good advice thus far so I will just say welcome and Congratulations!!

Post op lost 16 lbs.
    Month 1-20
    Month 2-8
    Month 3-10

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Good luck on your journey.