11/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hugh Babineau
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 2 years out - struggling eating enough food

Hey guys, I am about 2 years and 2 months post sleeve and am really struggling to eat enough. When I initially did my 6 months worth of research on the sleeve I was under the impression that after about a year it became a bit more of a challenge to eat less. Like you had to start thinking more about what you where eating and what not. Well long story short, I am more than 2 years out and would like to start eating more carbs / protein so I can gain back some much needed muscle. I was originally 347lbs and now weigh about 173. Don't get me wrong, love being normal for the first time in my life since 3rd grade (about 28 years ago, lol), but I felt healthier when I was overweight. I don't EVER want to go back to that weight! I just want to have more energy. I take lots of great vitamins, so I'm all set there, but I'm struggling to hit my 80g protein and enough carbs to have energy. I average a paultry 1000cal a day unless I binge out on chips or ice cream, which I really don't want to do.

Is anyone else out there struggling to eat this far out? Am I crazy? Seems like 4 oz of protein just about murders me and takes close to an hour to eat. 4oz of meat is roughly 20g of protein. I need more than 80 to weightlift I'm pretty sure. My buddy seems to think I need close to 200g of protein!! That seems like a pipe dream. Only thing I can think of is either I have a stricture or this is just how it is.

Any ideas would be helpful!

Only symptoms I have is inability to eat more than about 2-3oz max. Lots of fatigue issues. A lovely case of postural hypotension ( passing out when going from laying to standing too quickly) - this isn't all the time, and only at nights, and yes I'm drinking lots of water - 64oz a day approx.
    Highest weight: 347
    Starting weight pre-op diet: 318
    Day of Surgery: 300

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Default Re: 2 years out - struggling eating enough food

Hey Ryan, I have same issue. And out numbers are close to same, although I managed to loose about 100lbs over the years leading up to deciding to have the surgery.

I drink a lot of protein, look up ISOPURE ready to drink. I get them at luckyvitiman.com (best price I can find, if you find it cheaper please send me a note).

40 grams of 100% whey protein per 20 oz bottle, no carbs, taste okay, but you are also getting the water with it.

I can not possibly eat 80 grams of protein a day, no way possible. I decided just to eat healthy, drink a lot of protein (I drink it all day). I use it to replace water consumption during the day.

I am one year out, in the gym 3 to 5 days a week, and its hard to put muscle back on. I have lot a lot and wish I had some of it back. But I am now 190lbs wearing size 32 pants and medium to large shirt, so I am technically obease at 6' tall. Go figure.....

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

TheNewRyan ...

I don't have your problem -- can eat anything and do, around 1700 - 2000 calories. Am maintaining fine. So I'm just spit-balling here.

Any chance you have a stricture that's preventing you from eating more at a time? If you haven't had that checked out, you should probably do so. Your capacity seems really weird for someone 2 plus years out.

Also -- have you had a blood panel done lately? "Tired" sounds like it could be caused by iron and/or other nutritional deficiencies. If so, you will need some special snowflake supplements to get back to normal ranges.

And on the plus side, well done for maintaining your new normal weight.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Tomi
    Surgery date
    06/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Matthew R Crouthamel
    Last Activity
    09-27-2017 05:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 283 Times
    Was Thanked 216 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times

I have one idea that might help with your protein intake. Unlike Numbers I cannot do the flavored Isopure drinks - they taste wretched to me. I do, however, swear by their unflavored powder. (I buy it in bulk from Amazon.) My go-to protein drink to add some variety from shakes and to get extra fluids in is this: I take my favorite stock (I like the Better than Bullion brand best), at room temp, and add two scoops of the unflavored Isopure protein powder per 7 cups of fluid. I then also add Benefiber, about 4TBS, and whisk it REALLY good. Viola - I have broth that I can drink straight (which I enjoy), or can use this as a base for meals, including soup/stew, etc. It won't help with your overall low caloric intake, but it will help get the protein in.

Btw, I've actually been gaining muscle, 2lbs over the past four months. While individual mileage may vary, I aim to eat .8gr protein for every 1lb body weight. Since the human can only absorb 30gr protein in a 2-hour period, this means I fortify just about everything I put into my mouth. It's working, so I don't plan to change that aspect of my diet anytime soon.

Good luck and please keep us posted. It's an interesting problem to have and you're clearly not alone.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    DR.Alamanza
    Last Activity
    09-24-2020 11:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I have been eating a box a day of "TOFU" that is full of protein and it's easy to eat. I bake it in smoked flavoring and cayenne pepper and It tastes even better after it gets cold. Just keep going back to the fridge and get another slice, or cube it and put it over your salads.

[SIGPIC]

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pleatman
    Last Activity
    08-12-2020 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 243 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

I lift heavy 3x a week, run 4 days a week, and do yoga a few times too. I'm now able to maintain at around 1300 calories, give or take. I still record food in my fitness pal, even though I've been on maintenance since Summer.

I eat breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner, snack. So 5x a day. I start the day with a protein shake or bar. I often have a second bar later in the day. I usually have turkey with cheese for lunch, and can fit about 6 ounces of food now, especially after the gym, so I added tomatoes or a small salad in too. Dinner varies. But is always a protein with veggies. I do occasionally eat a half serving of pita chips or a cup of popcorn, as I like these and can fit them into my calories.

And I often finish the day with a tbsp or two of peanut butter mixed with Nutella. It's a yummy treat and helps me keep calories where I need them.

I get 100-120g protein most days. To lose I ate 15% of calories from carbs, but now, I aim for around 30% carbs. Seems to work for me. Hope this helps.
    Day of Surgery 7/22: 201
    Month 1: 187
    Month 2: 176
    Month 3: 166
    Month 4: 158
    Month 5: 150
    Month 6: 143
    Month 7: 138
    Month 8: 133
    Month 9: 130 (reached target goal)
    Month 10: 126
    Month 11: 126
    Month 12: 123
    Month 13-18: 121-123 (weight range on maintenance)

Current goal: maintain weight in low 120s. Exercise 6 days a week - weight lifting, yoga, biking, running, paddleboarding, and just being active.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Victoria!
    Surgery date
    01/30/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eric Gourley
    Last Activity
    12-18-2022 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow, I wish I had that problem I am 4 years out now and I feel I cant stop eating, i eat about 4 to 6 ounces of meat, or two eggs and still feel hungry!

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm also 2 years out and get 1200-3000 calories per day no prob. I have a 90% sleeve, so smaller than average. I can say to get those #'s I eat All. Day. Long. I just can't fit a lot in a sitting. If I eat crap, I gain, if I eat clean\well, with regular exercise, I maintain right in the middle of the normal BMI range. If you're not snacking, sounds like you should. Avocados are a great calorie source as are extra shakes, but my fav are home made no bake protein energy bites, (there are a million recipes out there). Most include fruit, nuts peanut butter, oats and protein powder. If you're already doing all that and can't get more than 1000 cal per day, check with your doc. Sounds like something's not right.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Name
    Jaime
    Surgery date
    06/25/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ungson
    Last Activity
    05-14-2019 04:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 183 Times in 124 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

This was a great post. Thanks to everyone who commented. I learned so much reading this. I want to go make protein energy bites. I will be googling that after this post.
    Please keep us posted about your progress. It must be strange to go from trying to lose weight to fighting to eat enough and gain.
    What is a stricture?