Surgeon
    Dr. Avara
    Last Activity
    01-27-2016 06:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Contemplating gastric sleeve

I go for my first consult this Saturday. I have BC/BS . They will pay in full. I am 53 or so and weigh between 216-220 depending on the scales. I am diabetic and have non alcoholic cirrhosis of the liver and 53 years old. I am a little scared about a few things. Am I too old, will I crave foods that I am unable to eat? Will I be able to do the liquids for several weeks. I am a picky eater. Of course I love meat and carbs , so will I be able to handle this drastic change. Will I have more energy to exercise. I am also scared of complications. Every where I read people say it changed there life, and they would do it all over again, which is good to hear. So any info you might give will be appreciated. I am hoping the cirrhosis won't stop me and that the surgery will not cause complications later on. ALso what type of protein drinks do you all like?
    Thanks
    Ltillman63

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Contemplating gastric sleeve

Your never to old. I suffer from NASH too and this was not a problem. I become the biggest meat eater after my sleeve. As long as you make the life change you will do great.

Good luck

Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

Stacy...what is NASH?
    Itillman63....I am almost 59 and got mine 6 months ago. I had many preexisting conditions that made surgery a little rough for me, but I have no regrets. I have Hughes Syndrome which can cause blood clotting. Otherwise I don't think I would have had a problem I have lost 70 pounds and I can't believe how much better my back, hips legs, and feet feel. I can go out for a long walk now without pain. I am wearing high healed boots without pain. I used to have pain with gym shoes. You just have to expect a longer recovery when we are older. We don't bounce back like we did when we were young. With that said, yes you can do it at 53. Get in the best physical shape you can before surgery. Start riding bicycle and walking to increase your endurance. It will really help during the recovery period.

Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

I seldom crave anything. If I do, a little is all I need. It is just a tool though, so you have to be determined and dedicated.

Gastric Sleeve Member Aydensmomma's Avatar
    Name
    Teri
    Surgery date
    12/30/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

Never too old to get healthy, and you'll be making the rest of your years really great ones.
    I'm a year out, the only complication I had was a bad reaction to anastasia. I threw up for the 1st 48hrs, which hurt like hell. That was it. I always throw up after surgery. (I've had tubes in my ears and tonsils removed)
    You love meat and carbs....the loving meat is great, that's your main protien once you eat regular foods.
    As for the carbs, you eat carbs-you crave carbs. I loved chocolate, the more I ate the more I wanted. I "weened" myself off. May sound silly but it made it easier to stop eating a bag of chocolate everyday. When I had my first day of no sweets it was ok. Each day was better. By 1 week I only wanted a piece of chocolate here and there. By 2 weeks of no sweets....you could of put of bag of Hershey kisses I'm front of me and I wouldn't of wanted it.
    Ounce it's out of your body then our bodies don't crave it
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Barb
    Surgery date
    06/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Luca Giordano
    Last Activity
    12-26-2017 07:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 47 and have decided to do this. I am in a 6 month program and getting all appointments done prior to getting my surgery date. I start nutrition next Friday so I am excited. Its good to come on here as there are many many posts with questions and people that have had the experience. I'm new to this site and glad I found it! Good Luck with your decision.

Gastric Sleeve Member ltillman63's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Avara
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Follow-up to contemplating gastric sleeve- So had my appt today- bmi is 38. I weigh 214 lbs. I am in a size 18. I read that Aydens momma lost from size 18 to a size 2. I don't ever remember wearing a size 2, so this will be new for me. My doctor was not concerned with my health issues, I have my first class this Thursday- I will have to go for 6 months . I am hoping to have surgery before end of June, as I have met my out of pocket and my insurance starts over July 1st. May I ask what protein mixes you use, and what vitamin supplements you take. Is there foods that you can no longer tolerate, or are you pretty much able to eat except smaller portions. Any other tidbits you would like to offer would be appreciated.

Gastric Sleeve Member ltillman63's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Avara
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Bamir,
    Sounds like we will sleeve near the same time, so lets keep up with each other. I start nutrition on Thursday.