Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    06-11-2022 11:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 314 Times in 206 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,510 Times
    Blog Entries

Default How do you cope with stress?

I was a stress eater. If I was upset, worried or if anything stressed me out, I would eat. I would make myself a big 'ole bowl of ice cream and top it with caramel and sprinkles and sit there and eat it. I would always have chocolate with me. I would make up excuses to go to the store so that I could buy my bag of candy, otherwise I would actually get worried about not having anything.
    Food was my crutch, my shoulder to cry on & my friend who was there for me 24/7 Food was my drug and I was addicted. Food was also my #1 enemy. When I say 'food' I'm talking about everything that is bad for us. I got to a point where no matter what I did I couldn't loose weight so I gave up and told myself, "why bother?" I was depressed about the way I looked and felt and I ate to comfort myself. Strange to be comforted by the thing that is a major contribution to my depressed thoughts about my body.
    Food isn't to blame tho. It didn't jump into my mouth. No one forced me to eat all that junk.
    I have a therapist who has helped my brain throughout this journey. I had (and still am) to train my thoughts. Change my way of thinking. For example, my kids are driving me nuts. Instead of going to the kitchen to eat I take my dog out. If I'm upset about something then I read or I'll write in a journal, keeping my mind and my hands busy. When everything just builds and builds until I feel like I'm going to explode then I'll stop whatever I'm doing, go to a quiet room and count to 100 and back down to 1. Or I take the dog out and play with her. My puppy is my stress relief. If I'm not home and can't go for a drive then I'll listen to music. Those are some things I do instead of stress eating. What do you do?
    sleeved 12/30/14 @255lbs Goal 140lbs
    3/3/15- 208lbs 6/14/15- 163lbs
    lost 92lbs in 1st 6mo
    9/10/15- 139 1/5/2016 - 128lbs
    lost 128lbs in 1 year
    4/4/16 - 123lbs 7/4/16 - 129lbs 12/3/16- 130
    still 128lb loss@2 year mark-11lbs below goal
    gained 13lbs by 3 year mark weighing 142lbs
    Gained up to 158 by 3 years 3 months!
    3.5 years back to 142
    hoping to stay between 140lbs-145lbs
    4 years hanging in between 145 and 150
    5 year mark! ugh! Up to 160! Time to get back track!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    09/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Diaz
    Last Activity
    03-31-2020 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How do you cope with stress?

I don't do any of these things - but I sure am going to start. I've been really stressed out about lots of things going on and I've not been dealing with any of it well. You sound like you've got a handle on everything going on --- Way to Go!

Gastric Sleeve Member moonchild's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. John DeBarros
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

You really hit the nail on the head. I was the exact same way and when I failed at loosing I told myself, "why bother?" No matter how much support I had, I'd still fail. I used to hide my food and binge eat. I would go to the grocery store and get cash back so I could buy food from restaurants and it wouldn't be traceable. I had switched jobs and had a ton of stress in my life trying to acclimate to my added responsibilities. This resulted in secretly eating comfort foods to deal with the stress. My husband would get home from work 2 hrs after me so that was my window to eat and eat. Even in college when I was on a deadline to complete an assignment I would put off working on my paper to eat as a way of dealing with stress and comfort myself.
    Honestly, I don't know what I'm going to do as a coping mechanism since I just had surgery a week ago. I'm not hungry and have been sticking to each post op diet stage really well but I'm terrified about getting to the point of being able to eat regular food again. I think the next month would be a good opportunity to find a professional to help. I don't want to be one of those people whose sleeve "failed" because they fell into old eating patterns. Does your therapist specialize in food addiction?
    One tip I know of comes from Oprah lol. She said whenever she's stressed and wants to eat something she shouldn't she'll take deep breaths and say to herself, "that food (cupcake, pizza or whatever) will still be there (at the store, restaurant etc) whether you eat it now or not, you're not going to die if you don't eat it in this moment." It's worked for me a couple of times. Usually the craving/urge passes by the time you step back and think about it.
    I think having a food sponsor would help too. Someone you can call when you have an urge and he/she can talk you off that cliff. I don't know how practical that would be but if you can do it, it may work. I like your advice of distracting yourself and keeping busy during those urges to eat.
    Hopefully others that are further out from their surgery and working on maintenance have better tips. I'm thankful for you sharing your struggles because I can definitely relate.
    HW - 260
    SD 12/29/15 - 247lbs (-13)
    1/20/16 - 233 (-14)
    2/20/16 - 223 (-10)

Surgery date
    08/20/2014
    Surgeon
    jon presset
    Last Activity
    12-10-2016 01:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I have never been a stress eater that I am aware of. I usually do just the opposite and I won't eat. Which is not good because it is especially important to eat. Having no hunger doesnt help either.

Gastric Sleeve Member Munecagirl85's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley mejia
    Surgery date
    11/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr rodriguez juarez mexico
    Last Activity
    03-17-2017 06:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Welllll i can relate! I stillllll get somstressed hungary order whatever and eat and relize what a mistake ive made when iam vomiting or hurting w so much pain!

8 weeks later i no longer do this and i exercise and its helped!!!

First goal 295- 4-11-16

Second goal 265 - 8-15-16 (that took forever lol halfway there!)

3rd goal 200 -

ATLAST final goal 165-

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I have similar suggestions as others who've posted above.

For me, it's the daily drip-drip-drip stresses (work and family responsibilities) that wear me down and make me want to overeat. These things (not the horrific stuff like cancer, divorce, death, which kill my appetite) are the big challenges for me to weight loss and weight maintenance..

Things I now do that help me control my eating and care for myself much better these days include:

1. Exercise -- mostly fast walking (which I can now do, but couldn't when I was obese)

2. Stretching / yoga -- which are "centering" activities for me and keep me more mindful and in charge of my behaviors

3. Meditation -- just sitting with my eyes closed, breathing slowly and fully, and continuously clearing my mind without trying super-hard to do so

4. Loved ones and pets -- there's just nothing like holding my husband's hand, a cuddle with the cat, or an affectionate head-butt or leaning hug from the dog to fill my bloodstream with feel-good chemicals. And if a live mammal isn't around, I've been known to snuggle with a stuffed toy animal. (Don't laugh!)

5. Sleep -- by which I mean both regular sleep at night and short naps (I do sleep a lot better now that I'm at a healthy weight and not so anxious.)

6. On-line WLS forums -- it helps me to read what others in our shoes have learned and are putting into practice that have helped them. And it helps me to share my successes with others, too -- it's a form of positive self-talk.

7. Tracking my food / exercise -- this isn't everybody's thing, but it helps me to plan and track my food and exercise. Tools that have worked for me include My Fitness Pal, Fitbit, my phone app pedometer, even Excel spreadsheets.

It has shocked me over the last year and a half to realize how strong and reliable my new self-care habits have become. The longer I eat well, exercise well, shop for food well, care for myself in scores of beneficial ways -- the easier it is to continue doing all these things. We are not condemned to our pasts. We can change our futures by what we do over and over and over again in the present. It's rather an old-fashioned concept, but it seems to actually be true.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thesinger's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    12/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-25-2016 06:43 AM
    I'm a gypsy. I travel all accross the country. Midwest in the summer and Arizona in the winter.
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

WOW!!! You have had a tremendous weight loss in this past year. GOOD FOR YOU on your diligent hard eork. My plan is to do the same.

Name
    Deborah
    Surgery date
    12/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Sayeed Ikramuddin
    Last Activity
    08-28-2016 08:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times
    Blog Entries

Stress always caused me to stop eating. But I am a celebratory eater. I've got to figure out new ways to celebrate . . . ones that don't involve spending money or eating.
    12/23/2015: 222.5 - first post op (-7.5)
    01/20/2016: 210 - (-12.5)
    02/22/2016: 199.8 - (-10.2)
    04/06/2016: 189.8 - (-10.0)
    06/27/2016: 174.0 - (-15.8)
    Total lost since 1st appointment: (86)

Gastric Sleeve Member VSGSetyoufree's Avatar
    Name
    Mike
    Surgery date
    08/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Sommer
    Last Activity
    02-05-2016 11:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 119 Times in 77 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

I was a foodie who enjoyed going to new restaurants and my old favorites as well as cooking things that I liked. Making smart food choices was never something I paid attention to. Now exercise has become my daily ritual. Someone told me recently that I'm not obsessed with exercise I'm possessed by it. My nutritionist gave me the simplest, best advice when I was starting out: break bad habits by forming new good habits. Instead of chowing down on calorie-rich foods I go for walks. Just walking can be great exercise and I have never felt better. It clears the mind and strengthens your heart, lungs, legs and back. I suggest everyone try to find a way to walk more. When I was 400 lbs I walked about 1/4 mile every few days. Now I average over 7 miles a day.
    Stay fat, die young

4/28/14 Initial consult 401
    7/23 Begin liq diet 380
    8/7 Surgery 364
    8/18 1st post op visit 355
    9/22 2nd p/o visit 337
    10/21 3rd p/o visit 320
    11/18 4th p/o 305
    12/23 5th p/o 286
    2/3/15 6th p/o 265
    3/31 7th p/o 239
    4/28 8th p/o 229
    6/1 222
    6/30 215
    7/31 206
    8/31 204
    9/30 198
    10/31 194
    11/30 189
    12/30 187

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Kathysangels's Avatar
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    02/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brethauer
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 364 Times

I actually have done the same thing as you - I get upset and forget to eat. When I went in to have the preliminary testing for both of my surgeries, I was told that I was malnourished. I was also told that it was probably the reason that I was putting on weight - they told me that when you don't eat that your body holds on to every calorie - afraid you won't feed it again. In my case, it caused me a large weight gain. Even today I have to remind myself to eat. Not good I know. Good luck on yourjourney.

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

Stress was automatically a trip to the refrigerator 16 months ago. Now I read. I usually have 1 or 2 books going at all times. Usually one mystery and one love story. When I am really stressed I reach for the love story and get lost in someone else's drama. I also do yoga and stretching exercises. One important thing I do for myself is keep busy with things that interest me. I do volunteer work with animals. There are times I go to the rescue just to get centered. When you are busy caring for animals that can't do for themselves, you forget your own problems. Best thing I ever did for me. I've made friends with similar interests which is also a plus. Unfortunately I am currently incapacitated with a broken knee cap when a 4 yr old took me down. I work with preschoolers. I will be on this forum a lot as a way of filling my day. Two weeks of no work, no driving ugh!! I imagine I will be reading a lot.

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

I am still a stress eater. Heck, it doesn' t have to be bad stress to trigger it! I just did a good job on an assignment-time to reard myself! Going out to run errands? Need to have a treat! On and on...I need to work on different ways to reward myself. I love to shop,,so am trying to do more of that. I also love this forum and come here for encouragement. Just the feeling of others going through the same thing is comforting in and of itself. I am working onwanting to take my dog for a walk, because he needs more of them. I get home, and then get busy with dinner, etc and he is looking forlornly at me. lol. Great ideas!!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess