Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    12-29-2015 06:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default U.K. Gastric sleeve

Hi all I'm new here, so far I have been researching the lap band, but after many hours of research I'm now feeling the gastric sleeve will suit me much better. I've got an appointment on the 29/12 with healthier weight in London. So hoping they will guide me. I'm paying for my procedure privately.

I'm 37, 5 ft 4 and weigh 16 stone. I've always battled with my weight.

Thoughts and info great fully recieved from all good and bad!

Thanks in advance xx

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member LaffeyTaffey's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    09/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    02-24-2021 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 288 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: U.K. Gastric sleeve

Welcome to the forum! Man if there is one weight loss surgery you don't want, it's the lapband. And whatever that horrible one with the balloon is. The lapband has really hurt a lot of unfortunate people. It rubs against the upper part of the stomach, damaging it. And has to be maintained often. There are quite a few people on this site who get the lapband removed and have the sleeve done instead. Anyway, that's my 2 cents about the lapband procedure. I've been researching the sleeve since early 2012 and finally got it done in September of this year! I found it funny that between the 2 seminars I attended between 2 different hospitals, neither surgeon could give me information on the sleeve that I didn't already know. No surprises here for this girl!

Weight Loss:
    6 Month Requirement with Nut = 41 pounds
    1st mo = 19 pds
    2nd mo = 19 pds
    3rd mo = 9 pds
    4th mo = 16 pds
    5th mo = 11 pds
    6th mo = 9 pds
    7th mo = 4 pds
    8th mo = 1 pd (bad food choices)
    9th mo = 4 pds
    10th mo = 3 pds
    11th mo = 3 pds
    12th mo = 4 pds
    13th Mo = 3 pds

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Elaine PJ's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/11/2015
    Surgeon
    Mr James Halstead
    Last Activity
    04-12-2016 03:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 153 Times

Couldn't agree with Laffy Taffy more no lapband. I was sleeved and my daughter was sleeved with the Hospital Group in Leeds UK. I couldn't praise them enough excellent service and consultant. Only issue is aftercare can be slow. I dont know how much they will be charging you but each of our procedures cost around 10k each (20k in total). But it was well worth the money and I was a lot bigger than you so yours may even be cheaper. Feel free to PM me if you want support in the UK or a buddy. Good luck with whatever you decide. X check out my other responses for more info.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Mr Ackroyd
    Last Activity
    06-10-2018 01:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I'm In South Yorkshire and its 3 days to my op so I am 7 days into the 10 day pre op diet .....when I last saw the consultant she said they didn't do lap bands any more just sleeve or bypass ...however they call the bypass the gold standards of weight loss surgery it comes with more complications longer recovery time a life long commitment to all sorts .....a sleeve is cheaper if your paying for it yourself and by the looks on this forum it's working .....I didn't know which way to go but I'm having the sleeve quicker healing time and a tool to assist my weight loss x

9. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My surgeon won't even do the Lapland surgery anymore. (When I was sleeved 4 years ago it was a choice.) Keep up your research, I think the sleeve was my perfect choice. I'm also 5'4" and lost all my weight. So amazing!

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by LaffeyTaffey View Post
    Welcome to the forum! Man if there is one weight loss surgery you don't want, it's the lapband. And whatever that horrible one with the balloon is. The lapband has really hurt a lot of unfortunate people. It rubs against the upper part of the stomach, damaging it. And has to be maintained often. There are quite a few people on this site who get the lapband removed and have the sleeve done instead. Anyway, that's my 2 cents about the lapband procedure. I've been researching the sleeve since early 2012 and finally got it done in September of this year! I found it funny that between the 2 seminars I attended between 2 different hospitals, neither surgeon could give me information on the sleeve that I didn't already know. No surprises here for this girl!
    After my surgery my nurse said the sleeve patients are the most educated people she has met. We do our research! (But to be fair, I guess if you have a heart attack or something there is no time to research....)

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Lucy-Joon10's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/20/2018
    Surgeon
    Guy Slater
    Last Activity
    10-28-2018 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 9 Posts

Hi welcome to the forum, I live in the West Midlands and after doing loads of research I decided the gastric sleeve was the better option for me. My friend had the band just before me she has lost weight but has had to work really hard and can eat normally. I wanted something that would be permanent. I was sleeved in February at the Clementine churchill hospital in London. My surgeon was Mr Guy Slater, a lovely man who comes from my part of the world and went to my son's school which i felt was a very good omen. I had my surgery privately through Viatlity health insurance which I get through work and had to pay 25% of the cost. I receive 2 years of after care. So far I have lost 3 stone. I would recommend the sleeve as the down time is only a few weeks and the weight starts falling off straight away. I had minimal pain, just some referred pain in my shoulder but that normal but by the time I went home from hospital I didn't need painkillers. I go for meals but tend to have starter and a salad, I am going to the gym. I'm wearing clothes I could only of imagined before the surgery and feel like I have been given my life back and i still have alot more weight to lose. I have just come back from Disney land Paris and went on all the rides, I haven't been on rides for years.
    Do lots of research not just on the procedures but on your surgeon to. Mr Slater has carried out 1500 bariatric surgeries and had not not had complications or deaths. He told me he takes extra care around the top of the stomaach as thats where it is most likely to leak. I felt very safe in his hands. My bariatric nurse Ann-marie and dietician Nicole are lovely and very helpful.
    Good luck with your desicion and keep us posted about what you decide.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr Fawole
    Said "Thanks" 62 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi, I live in West Yorkshire and had my sleeve 10 days ago. I have already lost over 2 and a half stone including the preop, its a life changer for sure. Pm me if you need someone to chat to about it. I am a courier and visit Sheffield every week