Surgery date
    11/16/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Alanis
    Said "Thanks" 22 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Questions please help!

It's eight days post surgery. I've had diarrhea every day for the last four. I know I'm getting my protein in so why is this not more solid? Should I be concerned? Also how many pounds did you lose in the first week? I'm not expecting miracles but I thought the first month was the biggest loss? I started at 230, lost ten pounds on my own before the surgery and only down four since then. I mean yes, thats four pounds in a week, but I guess from reading others journeys it should be double that? Are my expectations too high?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Anniesleeve's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Fedorak
    Last Activity
    02-02-2016 10:33 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Default Re: Questions please help!

I had my surgery on November 5th and I weighed 228. I weighed 213 at the doctor's office last week and promised not to weigh myself until Thanksgiving. Now the bad news.. since I started on soft foods rather than liquids, weight loss has stopped. The dietician told me that my body is just resetting its metobolic rate...I sure hope that is what it is! She said the reset usually lasts one to two weeks.
    I was constipated at first, so nutritionist recommended Mag O which is a Natural Grocers oxygenated magnesium that is supposed to be nonstimulant and easier on the new tummy. I have had diarrhea for the past three days. Today I didn't take it, and still having issues. I have been walking the dog, but I worked out for the first time since surgery today...treadmill for a half hour. So exhausted and low energy. Weight loss is stalled. I guess we all knew going in that each journey is different. I worry whenever I eat that I am stretching my sleeve and will be that person who doesn't lose. Hang in there. Tell your support team about the diarrhea and I bet they will have some suggestions. Also remember that the weight loss is slower for those of us who do not have as much to lose.

5. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

My loss was slower too for the first couple weeks. Then the scales went down every day. I have stayed at the same weight for 3 weeks and then lost 3 pounds this week. The good thing about the sleeve is that you will not give up at this point. Your stomach won't allow it unless you are eating slider foods. Don't be concerned as long as you are eating what you are supposed to. I too had diarrhea at first too. Once at the hospital right after the nurse helped me clean up, sit back in my recliner, cover me up and relax...pow it happened again. If you don't let the gas out of your body, it will find it's own way out. Sorry if this is TMI.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Broussard
    Last Activity
    02-17-2017 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Ok I used to hate talks about stools but since the surgery it can be a major thing. Keep in mind that is the final step of digestion!

Ok on the diarrhea, are you on solids already? If you are still on liquids that could be the cause of having loose stools. Hard to make solid poop from. Liquid meal. I still have semi loose stools because of the miralax dose I take almost daily to help keep me regular. Also keep in mind loose stools at your stage is easier on your stomach muscles. Just make sure you are staying hydrated and might even make sure 1/2 of your hydrating fluids are coming from electrolyte drinks with zero calories like Smart Water or Powerade Zero.

As for the weight gain or weight loss stoppage since going to soft foods, that is completely normal. If you did the liquid diet before surgery and then a liquid diet after surgery you have had liquid only for 2-4 weeks. You body is starting to get solid food n a long time. Your body is saying HELL YEAH! Starvation OVER better keep some fm this good stuff just in case.

Relax, enjoy the ride, drink your water, talk with your NUT, dietician, and surgeon.

Gastric Sleeve Member LaffeyTaffey's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    09/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    02-24-2021 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 288 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

Your weight loss is perfect and your poop is fine too. You're only consuming liquids so it only makes sense for your poop to be liquid too. After a couple of weeks on protein shakes, I went from liquid poop to constipation issues that I still struggle with even now 2 months post op.

Weight Loss:
    6 Month Requirement with Nut = 41 pounds
    1st mo = 19 pds
    2nd mo = 19 pds
    3rd mo = 9 pds
    4th mo = 16 pds
    5th mo = 11 pds
    6th mo = 9 pds
    7th mo = 4 pds
    8th mo = 1 pd (bad food choices)
    9th mo = 4 pds
    10th mo = 3 pds
    11th mo = 3 pds
    12th mo = 4 pds
    13th Mo = 3 pds

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/16/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dirk Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    08-12-2016 12:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts

Hi there! We had surgery on the same day and I will share my experience and challenges. I too started having diahrea and it was excessive. I called my doctor (bc I was feeling like crap) and he said the diahrea is not good. He told me to take Kaeopectate but that if it didn't resolve to call him back and he would call me in a rx. The kaopectate slowed things down but didn't stop it. This was on Friday. I started taking antibiotics on Saturday and the diahrea has thankfully subsided. Having diahrea too long will definitely cause you to be dehydrated among other things. So my suggestion to you is to call your doctor right away.

Concerning the weight loss...everyone is different and our bodies will react differently but for me, I have lost 15lbs in my first week. I had set that for my 3 week goal but I'm already there. I have had a very difficult recovery (in my mind). I had to call the dr again today bc I have been constantly nauseas for a couple of days and so I started taking my zolfran again. I also have to take a blood thinner shot every morning for the first 2 weeks plus I have to take a Prevacid everyday for 3 months. I also started taking my vitamins today. It is so much and took a bit to get organized but I think I've got it figured out.

But definitely call your dr. It is not healthy to have diahrea for that long. Even if he says it is okay, at least he can give you something to take for relief. No one likes that feeling. Hang in there!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. John R. Scott
    Last Activity
    02-03-2017 11:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 7 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LaffeyTaffey View Post
    Your weight loss is perfect and your poop is fine too. You're only consuming liquids so it only makes sense for your poop to be liquid too. After a couple of weeks on protein shakes, I went from liquid poop to constipation issues that I still struggle with even now 2 months post op.
    Pretty much the same story...I was on pureed/liquids for first month postop, had diarrhea the whole time and hated it...had to continuously remind myself I'm only eating (drinking really) liquid...oh and I actually came home from hospital 10 lbs heavier than the day of surgery, they gave me tons of IV fluids during my severe nausea, so it took a while to see scale wise for me true results.

Surgery date
    10/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Morgenthal
    Last Activity
    06-05-2017 11:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 328 Times
    Blog Entries

Taffey, you just answered my question, lack of engery and BM is my issued now 4 weeks out. Thanks

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Broussard
    Last Activity
    02-17-2017 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Miralax can be your friend once you are a month out .. I do a dose in either Proti-15 hot chocolate or decaf coffee almost daily and everything stays great now. It is something you have to experiment with.

Gastric Sleeve Member LaffeyTaffey's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    09/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    02-24-2021 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 288 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usarmy View Post
    Taffey, you just answered my question, lack of engery and BM is my issued now 4 weeks out. Thanks
    USArmy, be sure to get enough protein in every day if you want to have energy. There are all kinds to choose from. I personally love Syntrax Matrix for the peanut butter cookie and mint chocolate chip flavors. But there's also Syntrax Nectar for a koolaid type. I don't care for the nectar myself I want to try Revolution Nutrition Whey Protein as I've heard a lot of great things about it. As for my BM issues, they've gotten a LOT better now that I drink only 1 shake a day vs 2. Apparently it's too much for my body with 2. I don't have a bm every day, but I do have one every other day it seems. I hope this helps you!

Weight Loss:
    6 Month Requirement with Nut = 41 pounds
    1st mo = 19 pds
    2nd mo = 19 pds
    3rd mo = 9 pds
    4th mo = 16 pds
    5th mo = 11 pds
    6th mo = 9 pds
    7th mo = 4 pds
    8th mo = 1 pd (bad food choices)
    9th mo = 4 pds
    10th mo = 3 pds