Name
    sistatry
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Oritz in Mexico
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default How many carbs or do you count? Secret to your weight loss journey and maintaining.

We are told to eat our protein. Some say 60 grams and later to achieve 100 grams once you get to goal. Again this all varies.

However, what about carbs? Who counts their carbs and who doesn't?

What is your secret to achieving weight loss that first year and even maintaining.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How many carbs or do you count? Secret to your weight loss journey and maintaining.

I have never really counted carbs. For the first year while I was losing and for several months into maintenance I journaled all food and exercise with an aim for 80+g of protein and 1200 calories per day during the weight loss phase. With daily exercise, the weight came off slow and steady. Today I only journal if I go completely off the rails and gain 5 pounds outside my maintenance zone. I still do 1-2 protein supplements per day so I know I'm getting 70-100g per day in addition to the high protein food choices I make. Through the whole process, I've eaten pretty much what I like, protein first in small quantities. As long as I stay active, and don't go crazy on junk EVERY day, it works for me.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How many carbs or do you count? Secret to your weight loss journey and maintaining.

Never counted carbs. Stayed away from the white carbs (sugar, rice, bread, pasta, alcohol) while losing. Now I eat them all but in moderation. If I stick with protein, veggies, fruit and fiber, there's not much time or space for the "bad" carbs. Eventually it all becomes an effortless and normal eating pattern.

Occasionally I do go carb crazy like when I'm on vacation or over holidays. If I end up gaining a bit, I just go back to strict protein and veggies or even preop liquid diet for a few days and drop those extra lb's.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

When I was losing, I didn't focus on carbs one way or the other -- but did focus on my protein. Like you said, I ate (early on) 60 grams of protein. By the time I was almost through losing I was eating 100+ grams of protein (daily).

I did use My Fitness Pal, so naturally I could see how many carbs I was eating. Although like others I was getting my carbs from colored veggies and a little fruit and (later on) some whole grains.

In my case (and others have had different experiences than mine) I didn't feel that carbs "hurt" my losing experience. I didn't care about losing weight really, really fast. And the carbs really helped me have more energy after the first month.

You'll hear others say (legitimately) that they just didn't feel they could lose weight very well at all if they went over 30 or 40 or 50 carbs a day. I believe them.

Obviously, what works best for you is what you should do. I'd caution, however, that you not spend a year eating 600 - 800 calories a day, because that might encourage your body to maintain later only on a very low calorie diet. Ugh!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Broussard
    Last Activity
    02-17-2017 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't count anything. I eat chicken, steak, fish, or shellfish for my protein. Normally I am too full for veggies or breads. I did enough counting carbs and calories during failed diets.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents