Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    09-21-2011 08:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 172 Times in 90 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 56 Times

Default Re: Do any of you have any regrets about the sleeve

My only regret is not doing it sooner!!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member sleeve-me's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Bette
    Surgery date
    09/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-28-2015 03:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 169 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood_B1983 View Post
    My only regret is not doing it sooner!!!
    AMEN to that Brandon!!!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Marsha
    Surgery date
    06/14/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-15-2012 07:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 133 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tiredoftheband View Post
    I am a newbie and have had the crapband for 3 years. I have the typical story and problems with the band. Now I am considering a conversion. My fear is that I will do this and regret it like I do the band. Does anyone have any regrets? Anything they would have done differently, now that they've gotten the sleeve? I am going to the doc tomorrow to talk to him, but I would appreciate some honest feedback about the good and bad of the sleeve.

Does the eating so little (2-4 oz) bother anyone? Do you feel deprived? I am having a really hard time balancing out the enthusiasm I have for the sleeve with the regret I have over the band.
    I have absollutely NO REGRETS!!! Best decision of my life. Prior to surgery I was never full. I ate constantly. I would eat the largest steak on the menu complete with all the salad, a loaded bake potato, and rolls. Later I would have ice cream for a treat. I had absolutely no control, it was as if a monster lived inside of me and it controlled me...I had no choice but to serve it. Fast forward to my new life.....I am ecstatic! For the first time in my life I feel full after only a few bites. I eat anything I want, but just a few bites. I have not mourned the lose of large quantities of food. Even when I am out with hubby or friends. I always finish first (because I don't chew little bites for long periods like I should) but I am always content to sit and chat and wait to have my drink. The biggest aggravation for me is not being able to drink for 30 min after the meal. I was always ordering a refill of soda in the old days. I am extremely satisfied with the small amount of food, and thrilled to see the pounds fall away. (My steaks are now 2-3 oz not the 16 oz one I use to order! One spoonful of potato, a few bites of salad and no bread. I am honestly satisfied. Ever now and then I wish I could have more if the food is extremely delicious, but I know my limit and am ok with stopping because I know I will get the slimies or sick if I eat more!) Wishing you success on your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    09-27-2011 10:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Ok. I went to the surgeon today and here's what he said. First, the band is a problem that he sees often and he suggests it come out. Second he recommends the sleeve. Third my insurance will pay for the bad removal but will not pay for the sleeve. I asked about payign the difference but he says that when they see the conversion they will say it's a bariatric surgery regardless of the problems with the band not pay for the removal (unless all I am having is band removal). My options at this point are as follows:

1. Keep the band and live with it.
    2. Remove the band and probably regain the weight (do nothing else until my insurance will pay for it in 4 more years)
    3. Remove band and convert to sleeve (pay $16,500 out of pocket)
    4. Remove band and have gastric plication (which stitches stomach together, but does not cut the hormone producing part off. Insurance covers this due to reflux)
    5. Think about going to Mexico with Dr. Kelly to have it done (the idea freaks me out a little, what about follow up, complications, travel, safety?)

So that's it. I have to have an upper GI next week to see if the band has slipped and if there is damage. I'm disappointed. I would rather have it done close to home and not have to travel after surgery. I feel exhausted and confused, and just really don't know what to do at this point. I'm tired of being fat. Why do I have no self control over my own eating??? Ugh!

Gastric Sleeve Member VSGOct2011's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2013 09:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times
    Blog Entries

Good luck with your decision 'tiredoftheband' .
    My pick (not that I merit any say in your life ) is for you to investigate all the docs in Mexico and find one you're comfortable with. I know it's not an easy thing to say when you're talking about a serious amount of cash, when you know insurance will eventually cover it. I don't have private health insurance that will cover gastric surgeries...I live in Canada and I can wait on really long wait lists for my Provincial Health Care to cover it..like years - prob 3-7 years but what's that time worth to me? I don't want to waste that time 'not living' and staying cuddly, so I figure by extending my line of credit I can pay it back with all the money I'm going to save on food. You said your insurance will cover you in 4 years...So ask yourself how long by the time you get everything arranged in the 4 years? Will it be closer to 5? What's 4-5 years of your life as a skinny minnie worth to you? I see myself getting on ALL of the rides at the amusement park with my daughter, buying the jeans I can't now, not standing out in family photos for my size, and being able to maneuver through life without 'accidently' knocking over racks in stores because of my fat-a**. I figure it's a 40th birthday present to me...$8750 - cheap compared to not living the life I was meant to.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

I guess I need to explore the surgeons of Mexico. I need to have the surgery, but what happens for follow-up after you return home? I have a feeling if I went to a surgeon for follow-up and told him I went to Mexico, he would tell me to get out.

Name
    Rae
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Hoehn
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 212 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

Its my understanding there is a place in Vegas that is much less. Its not Mexico cheap but its my understanding its less that what you are facing. Maybe look at this as you will continue to drive your car for a few more years and apply the money you would have spent driving a newer car paying off this debt. Again, good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kay
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-26-2012 03:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 86 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 79 Times

Quote Originally Posted by tiredoftheband View Post
    I guess I need to explore the surgeons of Mexico. I need to have the surgery, but what happens for follow-up after you return home? I have a feeling if I went to a surgeon for follow-up and told him I went to Mexico, he would tell me to get out.
    I went to my primary physician and told him everything, after my surgery. he was actually pretty supportive and curious about it. i have a three month post op appt with him and he said that he would do a complete blood work on me and give me b12 shots if i need them. if you have a doctor that you trust, don't be scared to tell him the truth just bc you went to Mexico for a surgery.. many ppl do this

Surgery date
    10/03/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 07:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Headsntails: good to hear Mexico went well...my husband forbid it so I'm paying $12,000 in oregon instead...oh well. My surgery is on the 3rd Oct. I see you are like myself, with a lower starting weight. I'm impressed by your weight loss...30 lbs since surgery? Wow.
    Take care.
    Pat

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kay
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times

hi Pat, thank you... I went to Mexico bc I didn't have the $ for the states.. but if you can afford it, I say more power to you... keep us posted.. i see that your surgery date is pretty close!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/01/2012
    Surgeon
    Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times

Did the airplane after surgery bother you any?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kay
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times

i suggest the aisle seat.. if you feel antsy.. you can get up and walk a bit.. i know i did!

Gastric Sleeve Member splendaaa's Avatar
    Name
    Linda
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-22-2013 02:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 290 Times in 238 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 476 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sweetnsassy View Post
    I have absollutely NO REGRETS!!! Best decision of my life. Prior to surgery I was never full. I ate constantly. I would eat the largest steak on the menu complete with all the salad, a loaded bake potato, and rolls. Later I would have ice cream for a treat. I had absolutely no control, it was as if a monster lived inside of me and it controlled me...I had no choice but to serve it. Fast forward to my new life.....I am ecstatic! For the first time in my life I feel full after only a few bites. I eat anything I want, but just a few bites. I have not mourned the lose of large quantities of food. Even when I am out with hubby or friends. I always finish first (because I don't chew little bites for long periods like I should) but I am always content to sit and chat and wait to have my drink. The biggest aggravation for me is not being able to drink for 30 min after the meal. I was always ordering a refill of soda in the old days. I am extremely satisfied with the small amount of food, and thrilled to see the pounds fall away. (My steaks are now 2-3 oz not the 16 oz one I use to order! One spoonful of potato, a few bites of salad and no bread. I am honestly satisfied. Ever now and then I wish I could have more if the food is extremely delicious, but I know my limit and am ok with stopping because I know I will get the slimies or sick if I eat more!) Wishing you success on your journey.
    I am the same as you. I miss drinking with my meals more than anything. I miss gulping down a bottle of water when thirsty.Other than that, I'm good.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    jayne
    Surgery date
    06/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hassn
    Last Activity
    05-14-2013 02:42 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times

we dont have private health care in the uk as we have the wonderful nhs...they wouldnt even consider me because i didnt have anything else wrong i.e. bp, diabetes etc...so i paid 13000$ (8500£) to have mine done...and believe me its worth every single penny of it! ... pre wedding/pregnancy jeans on and boy do i feel good!!!! its a big decision to make but i agree with above post...4-5 years of not being happy with yourself is soooo worth it...i weighed it up by thinking i would rather spend this money now than a mobility scooter in 10/20 years because i cant walk around anymore...big decisions love...xx

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/10/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    08-23-2013 09:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hi Mica
    Read your post and noticed you're from Cumming Ga! I'm from Atlanta and got my sleeve in May of this year in Mexico. Best thing I ever did and I totally agree! I wouldn't undo it for a minute !!!