Dr Philip vanden Borre
    Last Activity
    09-27-2017 08:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Question Hair loss.. Biotin????

I am 4 months out so far and i have started noticing that my hair is falling a bit too much than normal.. and whats bad is i generally have a thin hair, it runs in my family..straight thin hair.. i have looked on these forums to see if anyone else has gone through this horrible stage of hair loss and found a few people recommending BIOTIN, i looked for biotin online and they come in different volumes.. is 10,000mcg maximum strength Biotin in anyway bad for you to take?? How do i choose one for myself without visiting the GP? or would you recommend me to see my GP to get their recommended dosage?? I am just taking multivitamins as of now, i think i need a bit more help on the hair loss side as it is really starting to freak me out!

Does anyone have any other recommendation that they have tried and worked for them with hair loss?

Any help? I am from London, UK if that helps?? Thank you so much

No pre op diet.
    10th June 2015, Day of surgery - 85.5KG
    10th July 2015 1 Month Post op -

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: Hair loss.. Biotin????

Not sure if there's much you can do, but it doesn't last long. I just cut my hair short (for the first time) and love it. But I have thick hair, so losing some was no big deal. I didn't even notice I had lost hair, just noticed the new little short "sprouts" of hair.

4. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    cathi
    Surgery date
    03/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    05-30-2021 01:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 506 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 363 Times
    Blog Entries

i am ok with hair loss now..i didnt wash my hair as often..waiting a week before washing..that helped and i am religious about taking my multi vitamins..i take bariatric advantage..
    2 xs a day...i took some biotin..but not consistently..
    seems that the not washing hair as often helped a lot..
    i hear that biotin helps you After the hair loss..you will still loose some hair..

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beth
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Noel Williams
    Last Activity
    05-17-2017 12:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 119 Times
    Was Thanked 150 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 98 Times

I had a fair amount of hair loss between 4-7 months (like a lot of people) but I also have very thin/fine hair so, while I probably lost the "normal" amount, it had a much bigger effect. I was concerned about it prior to surgery and, 60 days pre-op, I started the full host of vitamins and 5,000mcg Biotin x2 daily and am still doing this. I cut down my hair washing to 3-4 days a week and I used a special conditioner designed to help with hair loss. I followed all my protein/water requirements post-op, etc. I'm not trying to sound negative about it but it doesn't really feel like any of what I did helped that much. I still lost a lot of hair and wound up cutting my hair shorter, for now at least.

Someone a few weeks back posted that fish oil supplements really helped them -- you could always give that a try? If you do, and it helps, please post!

Weight at 1st Doc's Appt: 290
    Weight the Day of Surgery: 267

Post-Sleeve Weight Loss YR 1:
    Month 1: 17 lb
    M 2: 12 lb
    M 3: 11 lb
    M 4: 9 lb
    M 5: 6 lb
    M 6: 7 lb
    M 7: 5 lb
    M 8: 6 lb
    M 9: 5 lb
    M 10: 4 lb
    M 11: 6 lb
    M 12: 6 lb

Total Weight Loss: 124 lb (101 lb post-sleeve)

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/04/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Strickland
    Last Activity
    01-27-2020 08:41 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I just recently posted about this because I have a lot of hair but it's thin. I'm 4 1/2 months out from surgery and the hair loss has been very noticeable to me. I talked to my surgeon and the nutritionist about it and they both agreed that Biotin was fine. Even though it wouldn't stop hair loss, it would help with regrowth. They told me that this usually stops around month 5-6 so I shouldn't have to worry about it too long. I took the extra step of going and getting Nioxin shampoo, conditioner and a spray on scalp treatment. I just started taking 10,000 of the Biotin a little less then a month ago and the Shampoo about 2 weeks. I haven't noticed anything really noticeable yet but both of them told me that I needed to make sure I was getting in all of my protein (at least 60-80 grams) a day. My NUT also increased my multivitamin to 2 a day and we will reevaluate where I am when I come back for my 6 month check up.
    I hope this helps and Good Luck!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents