Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Thread: 2 Years!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default 2 Years!

Attachment 25069

It’s been two years since surgery. What a ride! I lost 75 pounds in about 9 months, and have kept if off since. So all the cute clothes I bought last fall fit me this fall! (From someone who had to buy new clothes every season, I got up to a size 20, as I kept needing bigger sizes.) I own nothing from 2 years ago, even shoes got too big. Don’t even talk about my expensive wide-calf boots, because I no longer have wide-calves.

There is no way to describe how my life has changed in two short years. I’m confident. I’m healthy. I’m happy. Life is good! (Isn’t that a tee-shirt?) Probably my favorite NSV is fitting in an airline seat with plenty of room to spare as I’m always on a plane. I run, hike, ski, kyack, SUP, body pump, and even zip-line. I wear a swim suit in public. And people call me small! Crazy. I guess it takes the mind longer to catch up with the body. I am not skinny, at 5’3½” and 140 I am at the high end of the “normal” weight range, but it’s perfect for me. I wear a size 8.

I have two secrets to success. Attitude and activity.

I have had a positive attitude through the whole experience. Every stage was fun. I even spent a weekend with friends at their lake house before surgery, drinking shakes while they were dining on gourmet food and fine wine. I enjoyed “shopping” for food each week after surgery, adding new foods on the list. I enjoyed eating out and discovering new, healthier choices. My first meal out was tuna tartar. YUM! I still order that often.

Activity is my second secret. I walked, walked, and walked. I joined the gym and did the weight classes. This past winter I started running with “baby steps.” Now I can actually run. My weight loss support group is having a step contest, and I plan on WINNING. I typically run 3 miles before work and hike in the woods 3 miles after work. Plus as a teacher I’m on my feet all day long.

I am not on a diet. While I follow the protein first rule, I am not the perfect eater. But with my exercise, I maintain. I’m a rebel, I drink diet soda and wine. If I want something, I’ll have it in moderation, like one piece of pizza or one taco. I have never counted anything except protein and liquids.

People say this is so hard, that the sleeve is just a tool. I don’t believe that. This was EASY. I have tried to lose weight all my life, and always failed. This time I succeeded without much effort at all. The sleeve is AMAZING. I'm 58, so I have tried for years and years and years.

Disclaimer: I have had no medical complications, I have never been sick (thrown up from eating), so my experience may not compare to yours. I just did everything the surgeon told me to do and it worked! If they told me so much protein and so much liquid, I did it, no excuses.

So for all you newbies, enjoy the ride! This will be the best time of your life!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Default Re: 2 Years!

Congratulations sraebaer on the positive attitude and maintaining your weight loss. I also believe being active plays a huge roll in successful weight loss.
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member linzispeedo's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ayoola
    Last Activity
    08-07-2016 06:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

This is so encouraging to read and exactly what I needed. I am on Day 12 post-op and starting to get a little bored with my liquids/purées. I'm going to make sure my attitude is in check. Thank you for your update. It means a lot to us newbies.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Huge grins for you here, sraebaer. Your exercise regimen is so awesome. And your story is so wonderful. I look forward to being where you are a year from now -- wearing the same clothes I'm wearing now.

And I'm even thinking of starting running -- at this late date. After all, I'm walking so damn fast at this point I might as well just go ahead and jog. Thanks for being such a positive role model.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

Great share and good on you. You made me realize something that I had not thought about.....I have been wearing the same size since April 2013 and that has never happened to me before.

Like you I only counted protein and water, the rest was and is lifestyle.

Thanks again, so good for the newbies to read these longer success stories.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    cathi
    Surgery date
    03/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    05-30-2021 01:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 506 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 363 Times
    Blog Entries

great post! Thank you and congrats!

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ahmad
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

Great job. I am a few months shy of you, and I absolutely agree with the get active part. I'm not as strict on the eating part, but I make sure I always get my protein for the day. I need to focus more on the fuel going in. I am well best my goal. If anyone wants to jump start their loss move around. Start light and baby steps. Good luck and continued success.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gee
    Last Activity
    03-28-2018 05:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I love hearing success stories, thank you very much for sharing your experience and your tips. Congratulations on feeling and looking so good, and for being so positive!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/17/2007
    Surgeon
    Dr bellanger
    Last Activity
    10-15-2015 12:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

That is amazing! I am so happy for you. I am 8 years post op and have gained weight back and i am just sick about. If i get back on track do u think my sleeve will work again like after surgery? Whatever you do please dont change what you doing to stay on track because take it from me it is easy to gain wt back. You have an awesome positive attitute. Thanks for posting your progress!

Surgery date
    09/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. mason
    Last Activity
    02-29-2016 12:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Hey this is so inspiring! Quick question for you: did you have any stalls and how often did you weigh yourself?

Anyways congrats, and thanks for sharing!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I only stalled right in the beginning, and it did freak me out. I couldn't understand how it was possible to consume so little and not lose weight. But my nutritionist calmed me down, saying it was very common, just our body's way of adjusting.

I weighed myself daily. I know that's not good, but I did realize my weight would fluctuate. I wrote down my weight once a week, every Monday. And I measured myself before, during, and at goal. Now I'm amazed when I put the tape measure where my waist used to be.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

How much weight did you gain back? If you eat dense protein like chicken or steak, do you feel restriction? But yes, I know regaining will be easy, because I can eat things like chips or cookies with almost no restriction. Good luck!

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Great post! I'm just 2 months behind you and couldn't agree more with your evaluation. A good attitude goes a LONG ways. I, too, have had fun through the whole thing and I've thought it was pretty darn easy as well. Maintenance gets a bit tedious and is certainly harder than losing, but it sure beats being fat!

I feel bad for the folks that obsess and grumble and whine about every little thing. They make it hard by creating drama and making themselves miserable at a time that they should be celebrating every single day! I am certainly not an upbeat, "glass half full" kind of person (in fact, grumpy bitch just about covers my personality) but I never saw the point of wallowing in self pity. If it sucks, change it....WLS gives us that opportunity in so many ways.

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

21. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Love you Kindle!

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Thanks, our stories are SOOOO similar!!!!