sistatry
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Oritz in Mexico
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Struggling to adhere to my pre-op diet

I'm on the lower BMI and need to reach my 180lb goal. My surgery is 10/8....I am allowed Atkins until my shakes arrived and they arrived 2 days ago. But I'm haven't adhere to all shakes and veggies...yet!!

I got my food for my post op and I'm indulging. I had 4 sugar free puddings tonight and 2 sugar free popcicles. I might need to go buy more...omg!! I'm half good and had 2 Atkins meals too. I chewed on some bread and spit it out. Gross I know.

I really suck at adhering to this diet and I'm usually a good student. I feel flustered and nervous about the sleeve too and I eat when I'm stressed.

I know no doudt I will fast the 2 days before sugary as I know that's majority important. I am sure I'll hit goal too those 2 days because I'm 3 lbs away. My binging is slowing down a little but still it's not gone as u can see.

I know I could lose more if I was doing shakes only and following dr. Orders. Wtf is wrong with me.

All of you are kicking butt on the pre- op diets or did.

Everyday I say OK I'm sticking to it and then I end up eatting not drinking shakes. 3 days ago I had icecream.

I don't like that I'm not taking this serious enough. I have been having a farewell party and I need to get on track. I know it's better for my health and surgery.

I am feeling like a failure with no discipline.

Advice?...

Also why is it so important for our liver to shrink?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ahmad
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Struggling to adhere to my pre-op diet

I was told you want the liver to shrink because it sits on or over at least part of the stomach. When the Dr is doing the surgery you want the least amount of handling or potential to damage liver.

The pre op diet is hard, but you need to be ALL IN. Especially being 1 week out. You need to want to do it for you. Me personally I didn't bring any of the puddings/jello etc.. into my house until a week after surgery. To much temptation. I was an addict, addicted to food. You wouldn't leave drugs or alcohol around an alcoholic or drug addict.

Good Luck. You are making a great choice. Every month you are going to see a difference. Get ready for a whole New Wardrobe.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Broussard
    Last Activity
    02-17-2017 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

It is your choice. Either you want to lose the weight or you don't.

Nobody is forcing you to put food in your mouth. You are doing that willingly.

It is worth the little,sacrifices. The sacrifices are easier for me since surgery. Hopefully they will be for you too, if you get to have surgery after not sticking to the doctors orders.

Good luck

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gee
    Last Activity
    03-28-2018 05:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Try not to beat yourself up -- all of this negative self-talk isn't doing you any good. You are about to have major, life-changing surgery. Good for you for making this commitment to yourself!

You will be able to eat again after your surgery. This isn't a crash diet where you are going to be hungry all the time and feel deprived. Yes, the first few weeks your body will need to heal, so needs certain foods to do that. But eventually you will be able to eat all of the foods you love (just in much smaller quantities.) And you might not want to eat them.

I think the binging now is a symptom of the stress and anxiety and fear you are feeling about the upcoming surgery. Try to focus on that, what is making you nervous, what you are afraid of, and then why you are doing this surgery. Maybe if you focus on your feelings you won't focus so much on binging?

Good luck.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Firebreak's Avatar
    Name
    Chris
    Surgery date
    10/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boisvert
    Last Activity
    12-20-2015 09:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 32 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times
    Blog Entries

I had my "farewell party" in the days leading up to the preop diet. I put it in my mind that once that preop diet starts (10 days liquid only, currently on day 4) my life changes. It's hard, I won't lie. I think about food all day every day. The weekend will be even harder. I've been trying to keep myself occupied so that I can't think about it as much.

I admit, there were a couple times I looked in the fridge, with my wife upstairs, and thought. "Nobody would know if I had one little bite..." However, I know that would lead to more bites and talked myself out of it. The first day seemed to be the hardest, now it's not as bad. I think the fasting just before surgery is going to be hard on me, but I'll be thankful to get through it.

Looking forward to my post op experiences in about a week!

Chris

09/28/15 - 308.2lbs - Start preop diet
    10/08/15 - 295.6lbs - Surgery
    10/15/15 - 286.8lbs - Wk 1
    10/22/15 - 280.2lbs - Wk 2
    10/29/15 - 277.2lbs - Wk 3
    11/05/15 - 275.6lbs - Wk 4
    11/12/15 - 273.4lbs - Wk 5
    11/19/15 - 272.4lbs - Wk 6
    11/26/15 - 270.6lbs - Wk 7
    12/03/15 - 267.8lbs - Wk 8
    12/10/15 - 267.2lbs - Wk 9
    12/17/15 - 266.0lbs - Wk 10

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    sistatry
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Oritz in Mexico
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 39 Times in 33 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you everyone. Game is on!! I'm so ready...there is no reason to cave in.

Your emails motivated me and Firebreaks especially too. We have the same surgery date.

It's time and today on to success.