09/04/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shillingford
    Last Activity
    09-29-2015 01:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Anyone still having trouble eating post-op?

Hi, I'm new here. Almost 4 weeks post op. I'm still struggling to eat. Even soft foods. Soup is the only thing that goes down easy. Despite taking prescribed Pepcid, I still feel like I have a burning sensation in my Frankensleeve all the time. Trying to stay hydrated has been a huge challenge since I still can't take more than a few sips at a time.

How long did it take everyone to be able to eat? I should be in Phase 3 almost 4 now. And still eating like I'm in Phase I.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/17/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fisichella
    Last Activity
    09-29-2015 04:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Anyone still having trouble eating post-op?

I had a difficult time after my sleeve. I had to have three dilations after my surgery. I think it was about 6 to 8 weeks out before I could tolerate soft foods. Unfortunately I had to have my sleeve convert it into a bypass. I had my sleeve in July 2013. And in March 2014 I had to have it converted into a gastric bypass. After my bypass I had to have four dilations. Here it is over a year and a half after my bypass and I am still having problems consuming food. My surgeon keeps telling me that I have food adversion and that I don't know how to manage my proportions. But I know that I am having physical pain and difficulty consuming food even in taking a few bites and it has nothing to do with my mental state of mind. They may have to dilate you and put you on protonix.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Alamanza
    Last Activity
    11-15-2016 08:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi! I also had trouble with the "phases". I couldn't tolerate the phase 4 diet until week 7/8. I think its different for everyone. I just stuck with liquids and watery soup until my stomach could handle foods with more consistency. For 3 weeks all I had were protein drinks, V8 juice, and Kfc mashed potatoes and gravy thinned with milk. Every few days I'd take a bite of something just to see if I could keep it down. It took a while, but little by little I found I could keep different things down. Even now, 2 spoonfulls at time is all I can comfortably tolerate. Its been 9 weeks and I still can't keep down a single bite of any fried food. I suppose that's a good thing...

Also, it took a while for my sleeve to heal and the swelling to subside. For weeks, I had a burning sensation whenever I ate or drank anything. The pain has subsided and I'm no longer having those issues. I think everything will work out for you. It's just gonna take time. I was advised to chew ice to help with the swelling and it seemed to help.

Gastric Sleeve Member sunshnca1's Avatar
    Name
    Wendy
    Surgery date
    09/01/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Chae
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 4 weeks post op and have the same problem. No matter what I eat or drink, I experience pain in my stomach afterwards. I take the smallest sips of water (vitamin water) and it hurts so bad. I take protonix ever morning but I don't think it is working.

I developed a blood clot soon after my surgery, and I am wondering if that delayed my recovery process. All I know is that I have felt really bad since my surgery on 9/1/15 and am regretting my decision to have the surgery. I can't live this way.

***UPDATE***
    I am feeling MUCH better since my post above. It's 11/15/15 today and for almost the last month, I have not had the pain that I was feeling. My pain was due to my blood clot. Once the clot finally passed or dissolved or whatever it did, I feel like a new person. On 10/17/15 I woke up and knew it had passed as I felt completely different and better. I have lost about 55lbs and feel great. I do not regret my decision to have this surgery any longer. Good luck to you!
    Reason: Update

3/26/15- 240lbs (heaviest weight)
    9/01/15- 220lbs -20 (surgery date)
    2 weeks- 206lbs -34
    1 month- 198lbs -42
    5 months-164lbs -76

Surgery date
    10/09/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Yuan (Pottstown Memorial)
    Last Activity
    03-01-2016 08:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

It is a rough road for sure, I am 5 weeks post - op and still have troubles at times keeping my soft foods stage down. I also take Prilosec every morning, really helps with the acid/gaggy feelings. Before i started taking it, i felt like my throat was always lodged with my foods i was eating. worth a try. ALso, some advance quicker than others in the food stages. I have one more week until i am finally on the heart healthy diet for life and i feel great. Down 41lbs in 5 weeks, losing average 5-8 lbs a week, dr and dietician are very pleased and said it shall keep going that way as long as i get my proteins and workouts in.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents