10/19/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    05-16-2016 03:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Lightbulb Thinking strongly about getting sleeved.

In a society where being fat is a curse, I have struggled with my weight since 13.

As I get older and my back, knees, an left shoulder often hurt. I need to make a change.

I am about 120lbs overweight, and feel like I need some serious help. I have been learning as much as I can about nutrition, but hunger frequently interferes with my progress.

The more I look into sleeve surgery, the more I feel like this could be the help I need to finally achieve a healthy weight.

I am here to information grab, and hopefully to change my future.

Ty

Starting: 270
    Surgery: 252
    1 month: 238
    2 month: 229
    4 months: 212

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member LaffeyTaffey's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    09/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    02-24-2021 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 288 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Thinking strongly about getting sleeved.

This is a great website to learn more about the gastric sleeve! I've been coming on here frequently for years and FINALLY got sleeved this past Tuesday morning. Woo! I'm in pain, but it isn't more than a uncomfortable feeling. And because I was able to lose 41+ pounds during my 6 months of seeing the nutritionist and whatnot, I know that I'm highly likely to reach my goal and then some. I don't want to have back pain for forever. I want to be healthy and active I have done a TON of research on this surgery and it's pretty life changing as long as you work on changing your bad habits before you're sleeved and are exercising afterwards. Good luck on making your decision! I'm so glad to have gotten this surgery

Weight Loss:
    6 Month Requirement with Nut = 41 pounds
    1st mo = 19 pds
    2nd mo = 19 pds
    3rd mo = 9 pds
    4th mo = 16 pds
    5th mo = 11 pds
    6th mo = 9 pds
    7th mo = 4 pds
    8th mo = 1 pd (bad food choices)
    9th mo = 4 pds
    10th mo = 3 pds
    11th mo = 3 pds
    12th mo = 4 pds
    13th Mo = 3 pds

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Prochazka
    Last Activity
    06-24-2016 09:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

It's the best decision I have made for my health and future. It is by no means easy and there are ups and downs. When you start to drop dress sizes and look in the mirror and think " is that really me!" It's worth it. I am just in another blip at moment and old habits are rearing their ugly head but that's exactly what they are and I need to get my head back into a good place. Lots of information available but ultimately its your decision when you are ready. Good luck ��

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Blackbry63's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Andrew Averbach
    Last Activity
    01-19-2019 10:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 40 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 148 Times

Welcome aboard. The sleeve surgery was the best decision I've ever made. This site/forum is great and full of helpful advice and supportive people. Best of luck in your journey.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-21-2017 03:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 67 Times

Oh yes, even as I child I was overweight. The original lap band has helped me to keep off about 35 pounds in the yo you realm. It has it's drawbacks and mine being one of the original ones is problematic - food never touches the i'm fill button of the stomach and that is an issue... I've chosen to do the sleeve for what I am hoping is the better path and anxious to get rid of the band and it's problems.

I agree about the societal aspect BUT more important is us and how we feel about our selves. My back pain is constant and injections are not helping so preparing to go in to burn the nerves in the joints in two or three areas. Knees suck and from the research for every 1 lb of weight lost, the equivalent of 4 lbs of pressure is relieved from the knees.

My back ankles (have broke both legs above ankles) and knees are limiting me. I've passed the big 50 two years or so ago and it is time for ME! Search your heart and make the decision which is best for you! I've come to believe that i the key. People poo-poo my decision out of fear for me which is totally understandable but living in pain - done!! You will do fine!!

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

You go girl!!! Wooo-Hoooooooooooo

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/19/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ramos-Kelly
    Last Activity
    05-16-2016 03:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I think the biggest motivator is pain. The harder it is to move and sleep because of pain, the more I want to get this weight off.

I had triplets in 2010 and topped out at 282 (non-pregnancy weight) and I lost weight afterwords because of pain, and got down to 167 and had my gallbladder out in Sept 2012 and instantly started regaining. I am now around 265-270 (yeah gained most of it back). Life has been stressful and my weight loss efforts are not working as well. Luckily my stress is starting to go back down somewhat now that the triplets are starting to go to half day Kindergarten. I don't feel so overwhelmed with stuff I can't get done.

I am also miserable about being so big again. I enjoyed my smaller size and I'm frustrated and upset that I can't get back there and stay there. I know how to eat better, it is just hard when hunger strikes, or I eat too much in a sitting and regret it.

I am drawn to the sleeve because it reduces the hunger hormone and getting fuller sooner on less food. I think it will help eliminate some of my biggest hurdles.

It is hard when people act like this is the easy way out or cheating. I'd rather have some training wheels for my weight loss and get the weight off than to stay fat and miserable.

Luckily my husband is being very supportive. My mom is debating on the surgery herself, but keeps ending up on the "I can do this without surgery". "surgery is dangerous, and I don't want to raise your kids" I think I'll have to schedule and then tell her she's free to come join me, but it's on the schedule and I'm going.

Starting: 270
    Surgery: 252
    1 month: 238
    2 month: 229
    4 months: 212

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times

The people who snark about this being the easy way out do NOT have some of the challenges we have. Enough negativity from people! Clean the negative out of your world, follow what you feel is best for you and go for it. Be healthy, be happy and find positive people to be around! I live in pain all day, and I am done, thus the sleeve as part of my getting better process. Good for you for considering options for a better, happier, healthier you!

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

I know about that pain & weight gain cycle. I got out before many do, but it was scary. The more I hurt, the harder to exercise, which made me gain more & then led to more pain....terrible cycle once you are in it. You are smart to be considering taking steps to address it.
    Of course your Mom is worried about you, but if you continue to gain then that will have risks too.

18. Said thanks: