Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. John DeBarros
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Stopping Birth Control Pills Prior to Surgery- Dr said something alarming

Hi Everyone!

I'm scheduled for surgery 9/25 with Dr. Ramos Kelly and was advised to stop all medication two weeks prior to surgery exept blood pressure medication (not applicable to me). I take migraine preventative mediation (topirimate) and a birth control pill (Microgestin). Both pills are crucial to preventing migraines. I have been on birth control pills conintuously (meaning I don't do the breakthrough week - no periods) for over 17 years due to the severity of my menstral bleeding, emotional side effects and hormonal migraines. I was naturally very worried about abruptly stopping my medication prior to surgery so I called Dr. Kelly about it to be sure. He's been really good about answering all of my questions over the phone. We discussing tapering off of the topirimate but I forgot to mention the birth control. Later I texted him about it, which he said was ok to do, and I was so shocked be his reaction that I'm considering canceling my surgery. Here's what he said word for word copied from my texts:

"You can't take that medication unless you want to have a blood clot going into your lungs . Why would you want to keep taking birth control tablets? Why don't you sue the doctor who's giving you the birth control therapy , he's a criminal. You don't need it. Anyway you can't take the birth control meds , that's an absolute no. Why is it so hard to understand that the only med you can keep taking is for high blood pressure everything else needs to be discontinued with no exception."

I think it is a little extreme for a medical professional to tell me to sue another doctor he calls "criminal" simply for having me take birth control pills he knows nothing about. He has no idea the struggle I went through before finding the pills I'm on, the pain, the emotional suffering, the bleeding, the migraines. And he just seemed so annoyed by saying, "why is it so hard to understand?" It's hard for me to understand because I'm scared and I need guidance with discontinuing medications I depend on. Now I only have two weeks to stop my birth control, hope my body adjusts ok and prepare for surgery.

I am seriously considering just canceling the whole thing after this. My husband definitely wants me to but I need the opinions of my fellow sleevers who have been there. Am I over reacting? I appreciate your advice!
    HW - 260
    SD 12/29/15 - 247lbs (-13)
    1/20/16 - 233 (-14)
    2/20/16 - 223 (-10)

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    05/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Camelo
    Last Activity
    05-20-2016 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: Stopping Birth Control Pills Prior to Surgery- Dr said something alarming

Hi moonchild, the doctor's response was harsh, he should have given you the reasons behind his statement. That being said, most doctors are not very tactful when providing information. It might be that taking the birth control for such a long period of time has increased your risk of a blood clot, but this is information that he needs to tells you.

My personal opinion is you have to feel 100% comfortable with your choice of surgeon. Don't decide anything until you have thought about it long and hard. Why don't you look at other options? When it comes to providing clear medical information and answering questions I do recommend Dr. Mario Camelo and Quality Medical Facilitators. I was so nervous before my surgery (and i had no support from my husband and son, only my daughter) I drilled my facilitator with questions on a daily basis. I had to have all the facts, and god bless them they gave me information and support I required. Good luck to you.

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/15/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaufman
    Last Activity
    01-27-2016 02:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Stopping Birth Control Pills Prior to Surgery- Dr said something alarming

I would consult the doctor that prescribed the medication in the first place and get his opinion as well.

Start weight .............286
    Surgery 9/15/15.....277 ( -9lbs)
    1 month 10/15/15....259 (-18lbs) - 27 total
    2 months 11/15/15...249 (-10lbs) -37 total
    3 months 12/15/15... 243 (-6lbs) -43 total
    4 months 01/15/16....239 (-4lbs) -47 total

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Camelo
    Last Activity
    05-20-2016 01:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Very good point Sylvia.

Gastric Sleeve Member moonchild's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. John DeBarros
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and own experience, Dada. You are absolutely right, it really boils down to feeing 100% comfortable with your surgeon. I just do not feel that way any longer.

I still cannot wrap my head around one professional calling another "criminal" for something as benign as birth control. Microgestin is one of the lowest hormone dosages available and there are millions of women who have been on birth control longer than I have without ill effects.

As far as consulting my prescribing doctor, I do not feel comfortable going to my medical award recipient, university medical hospital teaching OBGYN and confronting her with accusations that my Mexico-based bariatric surgeon considers her prescribing practices lawsuit worthy. Considering my PCP was against weightloss surgery altogether and condemned "medical tourism," I can only imagine what my OBGYN will have to say.

I'm just feeling so discouraged as I had spent months researching surgeons and overcoming fears of having surgery in Mexico and working out logistics. Not to mention the money I'll lose in deposits. But, it's worth the expensive lesson to walk away and feel I made the right decision.
    HW - 260
    SD 12/29/15 - 247lbs (-13)
    1/20/16 - 233 (-14)
    2/20/16 - 223 (-10)

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-13-2015 08:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

As a person who developed an extremely large lung blood clots from birth control pills I understand his worry... not the way he phrased it though. Don't be put off. I will never regret having my sleeve. Period. Amen.

Sometimes people of a different culture are not as politically correct in their communication as we would like them to be. I think he was only being concerned about you.