12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 313 Times in 256 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 270 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Hubby struggling with energy

My husband had his surgery on 7/14 and is still struggling with low energy. At first the problem was that his potassium was low so they told him to take the liquid potassium (dbl dose now) that he had taken before surgery because he used to take a diuretic. It has come up so now he has to stop taking it and go for blood work in a week. Also, his blood pressure was very high in the hosp, and for a few days at home. He finally has a cardiologist. Until this point, his pcp has managed his bp.
    He was supposed to go to real food on Mon but he tried a 1/2 protein bar today on his way to work, I hope it went well. I feel terrible for him. He is really weak but keeps pushing himself to do things. (when he does sit down, he falls asleep) He is a chef so he stands all day at work which takes a lot out of him. He wants to start working with the personal trainer but I've talked him into waiting until his energy is up.
    I was sleeved 12/22/14 and I've hit some bumps in the road. I made an appt. for him to see the nutritionist on Mon. I wish that I had gone when I was at this stage, I am planning to do a "re-do" with him.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member michael95472's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-12-2019 08:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Default Re: Hubby struggling with energy

I was sleeved on 7-7-15 and I was weak too. Im only a week ahead of him. I'm feeling better this week, more energy. I feel that I have lost a lot of muscle. I don't get the recommended amount of protein or water that I am supposed to have. I would come home from work , sit on the couch for a bit and sometimes nod off.I sometimes felt weak in the bedroom too. I take vitamins, calcium, and an iron pill. I have no advise for your husband,only that he is not alone. Its been a month since my surgery and I am just starting to feel normal. Good luck to him.

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Michael.
    What did you eat when you went to eating real food?

Gastric Sleeve Member michael95472's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-12-2019 08:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

Soup is what I have for lunch at work.I like the creamy soups the best. Soup is really easy to put down. I buy ready to go soup,Campbell,progresso, one can last 2 days. Also I take a greek yogurt. Bushs baked beans too. I can eat Baby bell and string cheese too.
    Seedless watermelon has been easy on my tummy. Its more of a liquid by the time im done chewing it. I find that the moist foods go down easier. Chicken can be hard for me unless its in soup. They say avoid the cream soup because of the calories but im not worried about it at this stage.
    I tried popcorn while at the movies today and it went down okay. The safe thing for me tell you is to follow doctors orders, I didnt, I was hungry and sampled foods too early. Your body will tell you if its too soon. Also slow and chew chew chew. best of luck

Surgery date
    01/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ahmad
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 04:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 74 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 50 Times
    Blog Entries

Try turkey or chicken cold cuts. I roll them up. They are soft, easy to eat, and good protein. Get Low salt/No salt. Chew chew chew. May only be able to eat 2. Wait a little while and eat again. Good Luck.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Jeff Hunter
    Last Activity
    08-18-2015 02:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I had my surgery three months ago. My blood pressure was through the roof in the hospital. It's such a drastic change to your body, it's kinda common. A couple weeks after I got home, my blood pressure dropped to a great level. My energy sucked too. My only advice is your body heals at its own speed and not to compare too much to others. While we're all similar, we all do things at different speeds.
    Make sure you follow the nutritionists instructions. But remember protein will keep your energy up. 80-100 grams a day. Write down what you're putting in your mouth for a few days to confirm you're getting enough. I had to do that in order to realized I was 20 grams short per day. Now that I know what it takes, it a piece of cake. Best of luck.

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Mark. I had suggested (not told) that he write his water and protein down to see exactly what the numbers were instead of just thinking he was getting enough but he didn't. We went to the nutritionist on Monday, and she told him to do the same because he feels sluggish. She also told him that he went back to work too soon. (I thought it was too soon but wasn't going to say anything ) Now he's eating soft food and she said not to go more than 3 hrs without eating. I spoke with him this am at 10:00 and he hadn't had anything to eat but had a protein shake at about 6:45.
    He is a chef and I have been anxiously waiting for him to start cooking Post-surgery food and today HE DID! He made chicken meatloaf and chicken burgers which I love and could live on!!!! It is the perfect time for me,,,, I'm in a rut with eating the same food! I am a terrible cook and have no interest in feeding him crap compared to what he is used to.
    You have made great progress! You must feel amazing! I'm going to set up an account so my husband can come on the site, I think it would be good for him.
    Take care and keep up the good work!