Surgeon
    Dr. Matthew French
    Last Activity
    08-10-2015 01:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Smile Update: Finally on the ball!

It's been a month since i started this process. Surgical Center of Louisiana does things a bit different. They get your approval prior to doing anything else. At that time i submitted my 5 year weight history. It took about 2 weeks to get insurance approval. On July 9th, i got my consultation letter. My 1st consultation was scheduled for 7/17 & My copay for my consultation was $21.00 since i had already met my deductible for the year. My down payment for my surgery is $260.45.

During the consultation my weight was 244.5 with a BMI of 46.2, I'm 5ft 1. I met Dr. Matthew French and he was a breath of fresh air (and handsome). I didn't have many questions for him as I had already been researching this for over a year. I concluded my consult with him agreeing that i would be a great candidate and was left with some pre-op diet requirements and some things i needed to submit to their office before i could get an approval code from the insurance company.

The "homework" that was required was Blood work, a psych test, medical clearance from my primary care and my medical records which were already sent and confirmed to them. I did my psych test in the office that same day and that was $50. I completed all of my remaining patient homework within 3 days of receiving it. In addition to that i was advised to start my pre-op diet and begin taking vitamins.

I decided not to start my pre-op diet immediately. I called the office to verify that everything had been received and I honestly got a little frustrated when no one called me with a surgery date. After about a week I was fed up and demanded that someone follow up with me because I had completed my requirements and felt i was getting the runaround. That same day my advocate Danielle called me and told me everything was received and scheduled my consent signing for 8/7, at which time i will sign my consents, pay my down payment and get my surgery date! She also stated that based on scheduling my surgery date would probably be 7/17.

I began my pre-op diet on yesterday. I am allowed 2 protein shakes and 2 boxed meals per day (i.e. Lean Cuisine etc. under 300 cal). Although it was my first day on the pre-op diet i did not feel hungry. I never have been an over-eater so the small portions are fine with me. At about 4pm on day one i began to get the most excruciating migraine i have ever had. I am also not someone who gets headaches. This feels/felt like death. A day later i still have that same headache. I'm comforted knowing that this is normal but it still hurts like hell. Additionally, THE VITAMINS ARE HUGE!! I was told to take a daily multivitamin with B+ complex. I purchased women's 1-a-day and there is no way i can take those. I had to chop one vitamin into 4 sections to get one down. I have never been good at swallowing pills but this just took the cake.

Anyway.. that's my update.... will have another Friday after i sign my consents!!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Update: Finally on the ball!

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEMissBCarroll View Post
    I had to chop one vitamin into 4 sections to get one down. I have never been good at swallowing pills but this just took the cake.
    If I were you, I'd invest in a chewable multivitamin prior to your upcoming surgery. I'm not referring to the gummy multivitamins (they lack many essential minerals), but you should get a good chewable vitamin such as Centrum Chewables, Celebrate Multivitamins, Flintstone Complete, etc. Trust me, you will not be able to swallow horsepill-sized vitamins for the first couple of months after being sleeved.

Good luck with your journey to good health!

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Tropical angel's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    05-27-2016 10:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 52 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times

Good luck on your journey. Hang in there!

Name
    Lynn
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marc K. Boustany
    Last Activity
    10-24-2016 04:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 55 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 704 Times
    Blog Entries

Chewable vitamins are good and also petite calcium vitamins. I'm not suppose to start retaking them again until 3 weeks AFTER surgery due to how hard your stomach has to work to completly digest them. Listen to your doctor though.
    Best of luck~

Name
    TeeRoy
    Surgery date
    12/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-05-2016 12:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

You can also get liquid multivitamins from most health food stores or places such as GNC, these are more expensive but the body metabolises and uses them better than pills, or so I'm told anyway. Myself, I had NO trouble taking any/all of my pills the day after surgery so it is all dependent on each person. Good Luck, welcome to the weight loss family.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents