Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-22-2016 07:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 131 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Default No Guts no Glory, Booked Surgery 8/17/15-Expenses all paid, no turning back!

Hi everyone, I have been overweight since childhood. I have always dieted. I think I started dieting when I was 130 lbs as a teenager-rough years, I am a bit shorter than 5 ft., Now I wish I was that weight, lol. Anyhow, I have found over the years, I have loss weight & gained weight. Tried probably everything on the market. Nothing sticks. Things work for a bit, but nothing lasts. On/off I have thought about having this procedure, but of course, was scared and really not sure. I heard a lot of negatives and positive things about the bypass and the band. Never really heard too much re: the sleeve. Yes I know even with the sleeve, issues can happen, but I feel it is the better option for me as well as a safer option from the band or bypass. Even though, I have only been researching the sleeve options for going on 4 months, I do feel the research I conducted is valid and thorough. I am having the surgery in Mexico, with Dr. Almanza. Am I worried no, I'm actually excited about this whole thing. I am more anxious about the stop smoking part and bits and nipples of food and the full liquid diet. I have never been a junk food eater, a sweet eater, or anything like that. I love food, all kinds of it. I think almost all foods really, from all cultures too. I do not discriminate. lol I hate to waste food and I know that's a huge problem with me, I think it is disgraceful, with so many people out there starving.
    Even though my spouse thinks I might be rushing in, he is supportive. He cant relate to being really heavy. He gains weight, goes to work and its gone, by the time he is home, what a douche bag, lol. He eats I gain all the weight and he laughs at me, because I sometimes get upset with him for doing that. He eats an entire pie, I eat a salad, I gain a lb he stays the same, smh. Im happy for him, that he can do that, but not everyone is blessed that way. Did I forget to mention I am 222 lbs now, shhhhh don't tell anyone.

Anyhow, any suggestions, insights I should know, motivations, whatever you feel like ranting about is ok too.

BTW what do you think about purchasing medical tourism insurance for complications? I know there are a lot out there that do not cover planned procedures, but there are some out there that do. Any recommendations?

HW 231
    Pre-Op Weight 226
    SW 8/17/15 215 down 11lbs
    9/17/15 191 down another 24 lbs.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

Default Re: No Guts no Glory, Booked Surgery 8/17/15-Expenses all paid, no turning back!

Your story sounds so familiar. I would love to be my so called "fat" size again. I will be on my way after surgery Monday. I would just encourage you to learn everything you can and get a support system. You can get support here too. Just remember that it is a tool, not a fix. We will have to give up the food festivals when we are upset, sad, etc. I know what you mean about gaining so easily. My surgeon said that some people just can not lose weight. The woman surgeon I went to initially said that overweight people are the most self disciplined people she has ever met. They have failed at dieting because their bodies are just fighting the weight loss. A lot of people here have gone to Dr. Almanza. I think they do a good job of coordinating your trip, getting across the border, to the hospital etc. I don't know anything about insurance though. Maybe someone here does. Welcome!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member LadyLitteRock's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/17/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: No Guts no Glory, Booked Surgery 8/17/15-Expenses all paid, no turning back!

Hey Bella, I have heard about that as well "overweight people are the most self disciplined people" with as much knowledge and experiences we gain, we can very well teach everyone else what to do. We are self trained Dieticians and nutritionist. One of the last providers I saw, told me that I would never be able to lose weight without having surgery or something invasive. When he did some form of scan, he said, internal my metabolism is of a 65 year old and needs to be completely reset. That no matter how much exercise, diet, or pills I do, I wouldn't lose the weight. Not sure if that was a scam or his form of selling me his invasive program with whatever it is they use, but that was kind of hard and heartbreaking to hear you know. I see you are having your surgery OMG next Tuesday !!! How exciting. Are you already on the pre-op diet plan?

HW 231
    Pre-Op Weight 226

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    04/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-08-2019 06:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times
    Blog Entries

Excited for you! Good luck!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

Before spending money on any medical tourism insurance check and make sure you will be covered in the US as most of those require you to come back to Mexico and if your having a complication you might not be able to get on a plane to travel. I hate to see people spend money on things that will not help then just so someone else can line their pocket. Do your research.

Good luck

Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-29-2018 11:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,900 Times
    Blog Entries

welcome aboard...your going to do just fine, you will be very happy after about two months post op, the worst part is getting your head out of "fear gear"and getting past the idea that you are going to change Permanently for ever. This was the best thing I did for myself and know you will feel the same after you tip the scale 100 pounds lighter or more. I know that I just lit up when I weighted in 100 less. I still cant believe I went from a size 60 pant to a now 46. I'm still shrinking and loving it. So get ready for the best change in your life, and Welcome.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member LadyLitteRock's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/17/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

thank you BigJ, those are amazing results and congrats on all your success

HW 231
    Pre-Op Weight 226