Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Banned
    Last Activity
    04-19-2016 07:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Did anyone look at the WLF (weight loss forever) program before deciding to have surgery by Dr. Almanza?

Glad to hear you are doing well Dawn

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Default Re: Did anyone look at the WLF (weight loss forever) program before deciding to have surgery by Dr. Almanza?

Quote Originally Posted by Dawn306 View Post
    But here's the kicker: The lady I had been talking to at WLF keeps sending me reading material, etc. Still trying to make the sale. I sent her an email today telling her thanks, but I have already made my decision, and I am leaving for Mexico tomorrow to have my surgery done by Dr. Ponce de Leon. As soon as she got my email, she phoned me to say "I'm worried about you. Please don't go. He isn't even a licensed surgeon let alone Bariatric surgeon." She sent me a link that is supposed to be Mexico's registry of surgeons (but I can't tell for sure cuz it's mostly in Spanish, even after I told Google to translate to English). She said to type his name in to the "hombre" box, and it should bring up all surgeons with that name. If he isn't there, he isn't licensed. The site wouldn't work for me, but she insisted that it worked on her computer, and that Dr. Ponce's name isn't there, meaning that he has had his license taken away from him, probably for malpractice! What the heck?? The day before my surgery, and she tells me this??
    I googled the heck out of his name, and could only find good things about him. So I decided to put it out of my mind, and trust that she is just trying to get me to go with the doctor that WLF supports.
    That is it exactly. Some of these coordinators will say anything to steer you away from a competing surgeon to theirs, I am guessing for the commission.
    I had one tell me a bunch of ridiculous tales about a surgeon I was considering, citing first hand knowledge as if she had been his patient. I mentioned it to the coordinator I ended up booking with - ( to me she was more trustworthy - she had good things to say about many competing surgeons & had worked for several over the years. Not just the one she had a business tie to at that moment) and apparently the one saying this & that happened to her personally as a patient had never even been sleeved, at least at that point.
    To people still researching surgeons, be aware that when there are claims of being featured in Newsweek, most probably it is Newsweek Showcase. This is a paid advertising site that has NOTHING to do with newsweek magazine.

Surgery date
    08/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Jaime Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    09-11-2016 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 216 Times

While I was in the Grand Hotel in Tijuana, I met several ladies (and men) who went with the company you mentioned Patty52, "A Lighter Me". Dr Ortiz was the most popular choice of doctor for that group, and most of them were doing really well, going out shopping on their 3rd day after surgery, while it was all I could do to walk the hallways in my bathrobe. Plus, their company took them on a little tour of Tijuana, and took them shopping! They had a little shuttle bus that they picked up people from the San Diego airport by the busload, and brought them to the hotel. It looked like a pretty good deal, since they paid about the same as I did without the extra perks.

I am very happy with Dr. Ponce de Leon as he is the most experienced surgeon in bariatric surgery down there. All the rest of the staff are very deferential to him, like "Ooooh, Dr. Ponce is here!" But the best thing about having him as a surgeon is that, because he doesn't speak English, he has another doctor on his team, Dr. Garcia to translate for him. Well, I saw Dr. Ponce just once after the surgery. But Dr. Garcia was my hero! He came to see how I was doing every day that I was in the hospital. Plus, on the day I was released, he took almost a whole hour to sit down and explain to me what my diet should be after surgery. He said "the guys at Bariatric Pal will be giving you some advice on your diet, but I want to tell you about it first, and make sure that you understand". He was so awesome! Plus, he handed me a CD with a recording of my surgery on it! The camera that they stick in there to guide where their instruments go? Well, it recorded the whole thing, and I was given the CD of my surgery! I didn't have enough nerve to watch it till a couple of days ago, but it was really amazing! It was weird though, I can watch other surgeries on TV, and it doesn't bother me. But with this being my own surgery, I got really upset when a saw there was an artery that was pumping blood into my abdominal cavity, and they didn't immediately go and cauterize it! Plus, I got to see him oversewing my staple line, so I know for sure that it was done. Anyway, if anyone is going to Mexico, I highly recommend either Dr. Ponce or Dr. Garcia!

Those of you who were going to have your surgeries with Dr. Almanza....Miranda and LadyLittleRock....how are you both doing? What was your experience?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/26/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-02-2016 11:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi I would love an update on your progress I am trying to decide if I should go with almanza or Dr. Ponce. Such a stressful decision.

Surgery date
    08/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Jaime Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    09-11-2016 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 216 Times

Hi Nursesrock99, I would highly recommend Dr. Ponce de Leon. If you have read through this thread, you know that he doesn't speak English, but that Dr. Garcia is a great translator, plus is a good doctor in his own right. I saw Dr. Garcia several times while I was in hosp, and he is available by phone if you have questions. I also got a videotape of my procedure, which showed that he oversews the staples, which is a super good way of ensuring that you don't have any leaking along the suture line. Or, if you want to go with "A Lighter Me", you could chose Dr. Ortiz who is also very good. I am doing very well, thanks. I haven't lost any weight since the beginning of December, but that is my own fault. I have been eating up the Christmas baking, and sugar is the reason for my stall. I can eat about 1 cup of food now, and I can eat almost like a normal person. Some things still hurt my stomach, like some meats, but for the most part, I am back to feeling good. I am sure the weight loss will start again just as soon as I can give up the sweets.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents