08/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Jaime Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    09-11-2016 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 216 Times

Default Did anyone look at the WLF (weight loss forever) program before deciding to have surgery by Dr. Almanza?

Hi all, My name is Dawn, and I am new to the forum. I have decided to have the gastric sleeve surgery in MX, and I am just now in the process of choosing a doctor. WLF has an office in my city, and they claim to have the best program out there - the best pre and post op support, the best doctor, the best hospital (a Center of Excellence in Tijuana), etc. Their price is $14,997 and they justify that by telling clients that it is worth not having to worry about whether your doc is properly certified, and whether the hosp follow proper sterile procedures, etc. They also have you stay in hop for 3 or 4 days, and perform a leak test before you go home. And they provide you with diet advice forever post op, along with other support, both via internet, and in person if you have a center in your city.

I was just getting ready to sign up with them, thinking that I wanted to make sure that I had good care and wasn't one of those people who you read about, ( you know the stories about having surgery in MX, then dying from infection a few weeks later). I would be paying for the surgery forever, but I had decided it was worth it.....and then I found this forum! Is doctor Almanza really as good as the website says? Did you guys feel like the hospital and OR was clean and sterile? Did you feel safe? Did anyone feel that they should have stayed in hospital longer? Recovering in a hotel seems a bit sketchy to me......how did you all feel about it?

I am hoping to hear from lots of you, either encouraging me to go to Dr. Almanza, or very politely telling me to consider other options..... Please! I feel like I don't have enough information yet, and this is a very invasive, and permanent surgery! Is it worth an extra $10,000 to go with the people claiming to have a center of excellence? And who can give me monthly meetings in my own city in person?

Thanks in advance!! Dawn

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did anyone look at the WLF (weight loss forever) program before deciding to have surgery by Dr. Almanza?

Hi Dawn,

for the price you are looking at you know there are places in the states you can go and only pay 1 or 2 thousand more. There are many doctors who have the program as you are talking about with the exception of monthly meetings. Your talking about WLF but who is the doctor and what research have you done on the doctor? Remember it is the doctor who is doing the surgery not a program. I say do your research and not just on a forum but on places like youtube, bing & google. Look for news stories and social outlets on the doctor you are choosing. There are good doctors and bad doctors no matter where you go and there are sterile & cleaning guidelines for every hospital/surgical center no matter what country you go to. I did not use the company you are talking about nor did I go through a big company when I went to Tijuana instead I went with a smaller company just because I liked having a personal coordinator. I liked being able to pick up the phone dial a number and it be the same person every time who answered. This helped give me peace of mind and made me feel like a patient and not a number shuffled from person to person. I did not go with the doctor you are talking about instead I used someone else because, I do not speak Spanish so this was a concern for me going to a country that English is not the first language How would I be able to communicate to someone if I was in pain or needed help and I liked being able to communicate with my doctor each day I was there. I was also a very shy person who was very ashamed of my 313 pounds and did not want to share my room with anyone and wanted to be cared for at a hospital/surgical center not a hotel. I have lost 123 pounds and the only regret I have ever had was not getting my sleeve sooner.

The best advice one can give you is do your research and once you have chosen a doctor go back and do your research again.

Good luck

Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 50 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Did anyone look at the WLF (weight loss forever) program before deciding to have surgery by Dr. Almanza?

Yes, I would totally recommend Dr. Almanza, since he did my surgery and though I am only post op day number 14, I know he did a great job.
    I am a seasoned RN, though, and do not feel the need to have someone holding my hand through this process. I like doing my own research and I love this support group, but I feel comfortable in seeking assistance from my own physician if needed for any surprises to come up.
    You are taking a risk with getting surgery in Mexico, because they do not allow to sue for malpractice, Dr. Almanza speaks and understands minimal English, and you are far from home in a third world country.
    But, Dr. Almanza does claim to be the most experienced (big selling point for me), they will keep you or bring you back to the hospital if you develop problems, and you will love to be in your own hotel room with nurses available, as needed. Plus, there are so many Americans there for the same reason, you develop quick, but important relationships.
    All in all, it is your decision, but I would not put myself in permanent debt for this.
    And if you don't choose Almanza, there are other surgeons and plans that charge way less than $14K.
    Keep on researching until you feel comfortable.
    Catherine

Gastric Sleeve Member Cyndy-loo's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy-loo
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

I was really happy with my decision and I have not regretted it. My life has completely changed and for the first time I am happy and healthy. I quite my old job and am now a fitness trainer. The Dr was good and so was the staff and hospital. I paid $10,000 less than what you were quoted and got the money from my bank and finished paying it off in a year. One of the best things I ever did.

Surgery date
    08/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Jaime Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

Hi, and thanks to Stacy, Catherine, and Cyndy-Loo! I appreciate your honesty and advice. I realize that I need to do more research before choosing a doctor. I't just that I have been thinking about this for a couple of years now, and have finally decided to go ahead with it, and am anxious to get it done NOW! If you know what I mean But I see now that I don't necessarily have to pay that additional $10k to get a good doctor and a good hospital.

WLF refers to "their hospital" being designated an International Bariatric Center of Excellence, but doesn't tell you the name of that hospital. WLF’s Chief Bariatric Surgeon is Mayo Clinic-trained Dr. Liza Pompa, MD, Ph.D, AFACS. She is board-certified in the United States and is the first female in the world to be awarded “Surgeon of Excellence” and was recently recognized in Newsweek Magazine as a leader in bariatric surgery (their words).

Interestingly, I just found, on another forum (Bariatric Pal), that they have discontinued their association with Dr. Almanza because of him not making any changes that were recommended after a recent inspection. They also say that, due to him being a high volume surgery doc, that he is having a higher complication rate than before. So, I guess I will keep looking for a doctor. Bariatric Pal has some advertised specials with five of their recommended doctors, so I may chose one of them. Thanks again for your quick responses. And congratulations on your weight losses! Dawn

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member LadyLitteRock's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/17/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-22-2016 07:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 131 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Dawn, well I haven't had my surgery as of yet, but I did book my surgery with Dr. Almanza for 8/17/15, I will arrive 8/16/15 in San Diego. I have looked at other doctors throughout my extensive research process over the pass few months and IDK, even when I thought that the other doctors would charge the same as him, I still chose Dr. Almanza over them. I have the additional cash to spend if I wanted to see another doctor that charges up to 10k for the same procedure, I just personally didn't like them, I didn't see enough experiences noted on their pages, nor all these testimonials either. Maybe the most on others I saw was 5. And none of them as far as I could see, offered or noted to come here to this support group or nothing. IDk. There are a lot of you tube videos you can watch, I've seen most likely all of them, lol. Including the doctor speaking, which I know sounds weird, but I felt his heart and saw he was really caring and loving person and wanted to help people. I didn't see or find the same type of results with other doctors. Through the weight loss agents as well, OMG, I have bothered them day in and day out, practically re: this or that, additional resources, etc... they have been extremely patient, never once felt that I was being brushed off, or hurried off the phone, they have always been detailed with answering my questions and concerns. I am not saying to choose this doctor at all, but I am telling you why I choose him above the others. I too work in the medical field and have been for years. Feel free to add me

HW 231
    Pre-Op Weight 226
    SW 8/17/15 215 down 11lbs
    9/17/15 191 down another 24 lbs.

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/11/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr.Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-15-2015 11:01 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I had surgery June 11,2015, I went with a lighter me. Dr.Ortiz done mine. I had no pain. My surgery cost $5200.00. They were fantastic. They don't do a lot of surgerys a day either. That mattered to me. I flew in to San Diago . They picked me up and took me to the most beautiful motel I've ever saw. They picked me up and took me to the hospital and I had surgery and stayed two days. My husband stayed with me for free in the hospital and hotel.they picked me up from hospital and took me back to the motel and I met so many wonderful people. We had so much fun. They took us shopping and then after being there a total of 5 nights. They picked us up and took us back over the border and we flew home. I'm really happy with my decision. They give you a diet guide every week. You can call them. They stand by you.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member MirandaBarya's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-14-2016 12:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I'm having surgery August 6th with Dr Almanza. I will let ya know about my experience.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr, Chae
    Last Activity
    05-24-2016 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 135 Times in 120 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 984 Times

I decided to have my surgery in the states and paid $12,000 total for everything including a year of follow care from my surgeon. Very happy with my experienced surgeon. He over sews the incision line which I wanted considering leaks were something to watch for.

Surgery date
    08/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Jaime Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

mtngrl, I read about that specific procedure where the staple line is sewed over top, which kind of folds the staple line into your stomach. They are saying almost 0 (zero) leaks with their patients. It sounds great. It's almost a guarantee of zero leaks after the procedure.

Surgery date
    06/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr, Chae
    Last Activity
    05-24-2016 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 135 Times in 120 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 984 Times

My surgeon, Dr. Chae oversews the staple line. Flat rate surgery was $12,000 in Lone Tree, Colorado.

Name
    cathi
    Surgery date
    03/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    05-30-2021 01:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 506 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 363 Times
    Blog Entries

I had a practice in the chicago area that gives you an amazing support system, counselors, follow up and all..very experienced with high success rates..i also knew others that went there or to other places in our area..
    i like having everyone nearby..
    i guess if you have to pay so much..then you need to explore all options.

Surgery date
    08/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Jaime Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

I just read on my doctor's website that he also oversews the staple line! I am happy about that, since I had read good things about that - almost no leaks. So I was feeling happy with my decision to go with Dr. Ponce de Leon instead of Almanza.
    But here's the kicker: The lady I had been talking to at WLF keeps sending me reading material, etc. Still trying to make the sale. I sent her an email today telling her thanks, but I have already made my decision, and I am leaving for Mexico tomorrow to have my surgery done by Dr. Ponce de Leon. As soon as she got my email, she phoned me to say "I'm worried about you. Please don't go. He isn't even a licensed surgeon let alone Bariatric surgeon." She sent me a link that is supposed to be Mexico's registry of surgeons (but I can't tell for sure cuz it's mostly in Spanish, even after I told Google to translate to English). She said to type his name in to the "hombre" box, and it should bring up all surgeons with that name. If he isn't there, he isn't licensed. The site wouldn't work for me, but she insisted that it worked on her computer, and that Dr. Ponce's name isn't there, meaning that he has had his license taken away from him, probably for malpractice! What the heck?? The day before my surgery, and she tells me this??
    I googled the heck out of his name, and could only find good things about him. So I decided to put it out of my mind, and trust that she is just trying to get me to go with the doctor that WLF supports. But I have to be honest, I really didn't need that extra stress! And my husband is more freaked out than I am! Anyway, I guess that this ends this thread, since I have already made my decision. I will post on here after my surgery to let you all know how it went. I'm going to pack now...

Surgery date
    11/16/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-07-2015 03:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

How are you doing after surgery?

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Jaime Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times

Hi KSNurse, I am doing great! Thanks for asking. My first couple of days were pretty bad, very painful with lots of nausea, mostly due to my fibromyalgia which makes me feel pain more acutely than most people. Plus we had some trouble with my medications.....they just took me off of all my regular meds and I didn't realize that was causing me so much pain. Anyway, we finally got it straigtened around and so I am on the mend. Pretty weak still - I have trouble walking every day like I am supposed to. But it is getting better and better.