Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    01-20-2017 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Just got back from a Mexican Chop Shop and I don't recommend it.

Carla3- the thread encourages you to share YOUR journey, which is exactly what I did. If you read my post more closely, you will see that I never maligned the skills of the surgeon and never mentioned the surgeon or facility by name....because the negative I experienced was not (up to this point anyway) a problem with the skills of my surgeon.....it was just that I was made to feel like I was a pig in a factory. I went through with it because at the point I was not feeling good about what was happening (4 people quickly taking me in and poking and prodding me)....I had just travelled 12 hours to get there, I had read about my surgeon and spoken to at least one person who was a positive reference and because I had already invested hope, emotion and four figures of un-refundable money. I said to myself "just because they have no sensitivity or customer service skills doesn't mean this surgeon is going to do a bad job." Things like watching air bubbles going into my veins were experienced AFTER the surgery had already been performed. The whole experience was NOT what I expected and I simply shared MY experience....and it that scares someone into thinking twice or checking twice or getting more references and/or having THAT facility change their ways to make the next patients feel more comfortable....then GREAT. I hope your surgery experience does not mirror mine at all. I'm a little surprised that you would criticize me in a forum that is entitled SHARE YOUR JOURNEY. Good luck on YOUR JOURNEY and I hope it goes just as you expect it to.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

AllieGator, you will find that some people in this forum will take offense to negative (but true) experiences with a surgeon or facility they used (or plan to use). I have read some vicious remarks to people who had serious complications -talk about adding insult to injury.
    They didn't have any issues and have their life restored through WLS and do not want to accept anything but positive remarks for their surgeon.

There have been accusations that some of the posters work for a coordinator (positive remarks for their surgeon and negative remarks for the competition).

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Name
    Jaime
    Surgery date
    06/25/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ungson
    Last Activity
    05-14-2019 04:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 82 Times
    Was Thanked 183 Times in 124 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

Allison
    I welcome reading your story. It was obvious to me that you were afraid and looking for some support. Your journey is your own, and I just hope that the experience can be put behind you and you can focus on success. I hope you visit a local doctor so you can get some piece of mind about everything. This is a hard journey, and it is hard emotionally too. I feel like my brain is changing more than my body....keep going! You've got this.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SoReady4Change's Avatar
    Name
    Sherry
    Surgery date
    06/04/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-07-2016 02:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 694 Times
    Blog Entries

"I can't believe people still go to Mexico to be butchered"???????????????????

Really? I guess people said I want to go be butchered so let me go to Mexico. By the way, do you know that people get butchered in the US?

Ignorant

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Broussard
    Last Activity
    02-17-2017 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Here are 2 people who shared their bad experiences having WLS in Mexico. They know what they went through just like you know what they went through.

Is this forum just for RA RA stories about having WLS In Mexico?

I find it hard to call people racists, prejudiced, or ignorant when they have their story that they went through. I value the opinions of those who do that a lot less, as you can't dispute somebody else's experience just like they can't dispute yours.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member AllieGator's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for pointing that out Scott....I can't believe all the HATERS questioning me or what I have written! They are CRAZY behind anonymous faces. Luckily, I am a strong enough woman, that I can call them out on it, if I feel the need to do so. Congrats on your amazing weight loss success....I'm one week after surgery eating about 200-250 calories a day and wanting a banana creme pie! Head hungry....and probably a little body hungry too with so little food. Can't wait to incorporate some things that are not LIQUID.

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

I completely agree with you....HATERS for my sharing the experience I went through! THanks for your post!

Surgery date
    07/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Hanna
    Last Activity
    03-14-2016 01:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 75 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Your story is yours to tell and thank you for sharing. Best of luck to you

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

Regardless of where your surgery was many of us felt crappy the first few weeks post op. I think it was closer to 12weeks before I felt human. I am years out now and so far,so good.

Hang in there, you will feel better sooN.

I've had surgery in 3 countries -USA, Mexico and Germany. None of them were strip mall assembly line experiences. I think it is good to share the story so others can learn from it.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 4.5 months out now, 36 lbs down...feels good to be in size 10 clothes and everyone is telling me I look "amazing."
    This is still a challenge....but I'm getting used to my "new normal" and am finally getting to a point, where I am GLAD I got my gastric sleeve done.
    I still have concerns that I'll gain it all back....but hopefully not....I'm not being a glutton. Love this forum for support and questions.

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I know this is old but I am permanently disfigured and scarred and have had a total of 16 surgeries as a result from a US doctor born and raised in Illinois - supposedly a top surgeon (breast recon after a mastectomy) who was actaully found dead at age 44 by her janitorial staff with liposuction canules stuck in her own thigh and stomach. I had the sleeve in TJ and while I doubt I would have gone to Almanza today it turned out great. Strip mall yes, little clinic, yes, but I knew that going there. I lost the weight and kept it off so that's what mattered
    Quote Originally Posted by odesskiy View Post
    Racist....LOL! The last place I thought I'd see the race card played is on a gastric surgery forum. Especially in such a moronic way. You voted for Obama, didn't you? In case you didn't know, Hispanic origin is NOT a race, it's an ethnic category. Hispanics are Caucasians, just like me, but don't let that stop you from throwing out ridiculous accusations.

Please point out where I said that ALL Mexican surgeons were butchers?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Verbonen
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

AllieGator, I was wondering how fast the weight came off. I think I went to the same place. Dr Verboonen. Im only 1 week post op and I have only lost 12lbs from the time I started the pre op diet. Im starting to get discourage...

Gastric Sleeve Member MegannsMom's Avatar
    Name
    Missy
    Surgery date
    08/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr.Montano
    Last Activity
    10-23-2017 10:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Karen86, can you tell me if your experience was better two years later than Allie's? Also, please tell me if the clinic is ASlimmerMe?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/10/2017
    Surgeon
    Verbonen
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 06:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

My surgeon was Dr. Verboonen with the Obesity Goodbye Clinic, but the way she describe the layout seemed to be the same place. Maybe they changed names. It was almost the exact experience I had (rushed) BUT everyone was very nice. It isn't any different then when I go to the doctor in the states, they are in a hurry. After the surgery the doctor came in for awhile and asked how I was doing and if I had any questions. He seemed very nice. The nurses were on top of everything and also pleasant.

Gastric Sleeve Member MegannsMom's Avatar
    Name
    Missy
    Surgery date
    08/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr.Montano
    Last Activity
    10-23-2017 10:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Karen, THANK YOU so much! That puts my mind at ease. I've known several that have went to Tijuana for surgery and had decent experiences this year.