Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Just got back from a Mexican Chop Shop and I don't recommend it.

Quote Originally Posted by odesskiy View Post
    ...As far as the science is aware, there are three major races, Caucasoid, Mongoloid, Negroid....
    So no feathers are ruffled, how about we refer to these 3 major races as people who are members of a race where some members:
    Can't jump or dance well, can't drive well but some excel in math and science or are scared to go to Ferguson, Missouri.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

(Duplicate post.)
    Reason: Duplicate post.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beth
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Noel Williams
    Last Activity
    05-17-2017 12:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 119 Times
    Was Thanked 150 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 98 Times

Obviously none of us were there, and maybe it’s how your post is coming across, but maybe your expectations were a little skewed? Before your trip, you were joking around that you were going to a “Mexican Chop Shop” and then, when you got to Tijuana, it was just as “dirty and disgusting” as you had imagined. So it sounds like you weren’t exactly comfortable with the idea of going to Mexico for surgery in the first place? But then you were also put out that your driver didn’t take your bag and that no one held your hand, and offered you the ladies room and asked how your trip was when you got there. That seems like a bit of a disconnect to me.

I had my surgery in a top level, highly rated American medical facility. There wasn’t a lot of small talk with my nurses, as they were prepping at least ten other patients for surgery. No one took my bags when I got there. No one asked how my drive in was. I saw my anesthesiologist for 2 minutes before my surgery and then for about a hot minute while the mask was being put over my face. I never saw my surgeon before or after on the day of surgery – in fact, in all my visits to his office, I’ve met him once, for about 5 minutes. I did research him thoroughly on-line and I had the benefit of a pretty extensive pre-surgery education program, but I certainly wouldn’t expect that if I’d been having my surgery in Mexico. My follow-ups during my hospital stay were done by his assisting doc and sometimes med students. The view in my shared room was of my tv, the door, two walls, and a green curtain separating me from my surgery roomie, a lady with a large, loud family visiting her every available hour and eating lots of stinky food. It was boring and, for the two days I was there, I had nothing but ice chips and bland broth and jello. No popsicle treats, lol.

And that was pretty much what I expected. I’ve had numerous surgeries and that’s the experience. What I want out of my surgery experience is skill and safety, not an ego massage or a vacation experience. Do you have a lot of experience in hospitals in general? You complained you were walking around with the metal pole carrying your bag and you seemed unhappy because the needle in your hand never went away (all pretty routine for hospital visits). And you were worried the air bubbles in your IV were going to kill you. It’s not uncommon to see air bubbles in an IV – although nurses do try and avoid them. But your body breaks them up, unless it’s just a huge amount of air. Nothing sounds that out of the ordinary?

I don’t know. It seems like you went into it with a bad mindset about Mexico in general and with expectations that went far beyond what you were paying for. It was a lower cost surgical clinic in a foreign country, not a high end day spa. Other than the level of customer service, was there other stuff that made you feel like you didn't get good care?

Weight at 1st Doc's Appt: 290
    Weight the Day of Surgery: 267

Post-Sleeve Weight Loss YR 1:
    Month 1: 17 lb
    M 2: 12 lb
    M 3: 11 lb
    M 4: 9 lb
    M 5: 6 lb
    M 6: 7 lb
    M 7: 5 lb
    M 8: 6 lb
    M 9: 5 lb
    M 10: 4 lb
    M 11: 6 lb
    M 12: 6 lb

Total Weight Loss: 124 lb (101 lb post-sleeve)

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Lynn
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marc K. Boustany
    Last Activity
    10-24-2016 04:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 55 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 37 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 704 Times
    Blog Entries

Alliegator, it sounds like a rough trip for sure but hopefully you'll be well on the way to feeling better soon. Focus now on losing the weight, getting in the required nutrients, regaining energy and keeping on track. The petty tit for tat'n on here is not neccessary. I'm glad you made it home safe.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member AllieGator's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    01-20-2017 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

THanks for your input. I agree with you that just because the customer service was not up to par, doesn't mean my surgeon is a bad one.....that is why I didn't want to malign him by posting his name. Unfortunately, some other blogger looked it up and posted it on my thread (which I didn't appreciate)...in any event...yes, I ask myself what have I done, but I am hopeful that this will be a successful long term tool to get and keep my weight in check. Thank you for your response and best wishes to you....and congrats on almost 100 lbs down! Amazing!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you for your kind and empathetic words, Belle22. Just because the overall experience from a customer service standpoint was not good, I am still hopeful that my surgeon did a good job....and so far, nothing seems wrong. Nevertheless, you are right...finding a local doctor for some follow up would give me some peace of mind. Best wishes to you with your upcoming surgery!

Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Being in the business of sales and customer service....and knowing that referrals are so important in a business like medical tourism....I expected a little more "bedside manner" and common courtesy. Maybe I am a little more spoiled in my day to day life. I DON'T have a lot of experience in medical facilities and I have been adamant about NOT maligning the work of my doctor (trying not to share his name even!) because he may have been a skilled surgeon and time will tell on that end and I am not feeling anything right now that would lead me to believe he has botched my sleeve in any way. It was a tough few days and hopefully with time I will look back and be glad that I made the decision that I did. Thank you for your input.

Gastric Sleeve Member Green rider's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-19-2018 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 236 Times

Dr. Almanza was my surgeon and it was a great experience. If you spend a few hours and read posts by people that have had surgery based complications, most likely they had their surgery in the U.S. Just saying.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/02/2015
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you Rayer! I appreciate it.....feeling pretty good and doing the things that you are suggesting. Although my experience left something to be desired, I in no way at this point, am doubting the skill set of my surgeon and hoping that he did a good job on me. Excited about losing some weight for sure! THank you for your kind empathetic words and positive spirit!

Name
    Edward
    Surgery date
    04/13/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Darren Soong
    Last Activity
    03-28-2019 10:52 AM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poppa View Post
    So no feathers are ruffled, how about we refer to these 3 major races as people who are members of a race where some members:
    Can't jump or dance well, can't drive well but some excel in math and science or are scared to go to Ferguson, Missouri.
    Great idea! I forgot for a second how politically correct everyone has gotten and how easily the race card is played these days.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/11/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-18-2017 09:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 148 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 240 Times

AllieGator,I realize this forum is a place to talk about things-problems, concerns, etc, but to get on here and rant and rave and go on and on about how bad everything was is a little hard to understand. Why didn't you just leave if it was that bad? There had to be something there that was done right, or someone must have treated you right. My God all that carrying on just scares people. I am sorry that you had it so bad there, but I have read so many more good things about Mexico and the surgery experiences there than I have bad things. My surgery is scheduled in August with Dr. Almanza, and I am
    so excited and looking forward to it. I do hope the rest of your weight loss experience is successful. Good luck!

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beth
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Noel Williams
    Last Activity
    05-17-2017 12:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 119 Times
    Was Thanked 150 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 98 Times

I would love to see all go well with you and a happy "I hit goal!!" post on here down the road

Weight at 1st Doc's Appt: 290
    Weight the Day of Surgery: 267

Post-Sleeve Weight Loss YR 1:
    Month 1: 17 lb
    M 2: 12 lb
    M 3: 11 lb
    M 4: 9 lb
    M 5: 6 lb
    M 6: 7 lb
    M 7: 5 lb
    M 8: 6 lb
    M 9: 5 lb
    M 10: 4 lb
    M 11: 6 lb
    M 12: 6 lb

Total Weight Loss: 124 lb (101 lb post-sleeve)

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Alliegator -- For the record, I didn't "look up" your surgeon's name. It was right there on your original post in your signature block before you deleted it.

Just sayin'.

I'm glad you're starting to feel better about your experience. I hope you have a GREAT recovery. This surgery can be stressful in so many ways.

Very best to you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member Janeanne67's Avatar
    Name
    Jane
    Surgery date
    03/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Padovan
    Last Activity
    01-24-2021 09:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 67 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 37 Times

Scott, haha yours was the only post worth reading lol and damn, how accurate are your race traits. ������

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jamie9498's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/03/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    07-18-2015 12:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

I had surgery in Mexico it was in a hospital that was nicer then some of the hospitals I have been to in the states. Normal protocol with surgeons is you only see them for a few minutes before and after surgery. There is a statement my aunt used to make being an RN that surgeons are surgeons because they are aholes and have no people skills. People don't talk back when you cut on them. Its part of the surgeon protocol. Once my blood pressure went back into the normal range after surgery I only saw nurses during medication times and to change my IV bags. I too had the IV in until about two hours before I left to ensure I was getting the fluids I needed. No one took my bags, no one catered to me its a normal hospital routine you sign paper you do your pretest you get cut, you heal the end.

Highest weight (2013):420
    Pre-op: 343
    Current Weight: 304
    Surgery Date Weight: 7/3/2015

24. Said thanks: