Surgery date
    06/11/2012
    Last Activity
    09-30-2016 11:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default 3 years since my gastric sleeve

I don't use this site much and haven't been on here for probably two years, however i am very depressed lately and I do not know what to do. I had my surgery 3 years ago. I was 227 when I started and the lowest weight I got was down to 148. About a year and a half ago, I hit a plateu and couldn't lose anymore weight. Right now I weigh about 177 which means I've gained roughly 30 pounds in a year and it makes me sick. I can definitely eat more than I could, but I still cannot finish a typical meal. I just don't understand how I am gaining weight and what I can do to lose weight agsin. I look in the mirror and want to throw up these days bc I went through so much physical pain during the operation just to gain weight AGAIN. If anyone knows what I can do to jumpstart my weight loss or has been going through this please let me know! Thank you

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Suzy
    Surgery date
    03/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Shadle
    Last Activity
    03-23-2021 10:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 3 years since my gastric sleeve

Have you gone to see your surgeon? They always willing help you out.

Gastric Sleeve Member 31startingBMI's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Cut out all starchy carbs for one month, no sugar, no fruit. Anything that raises insulin can potentionally make you hang on to more weight. Total charbs under 50. Don't worry about fat, fat is insulin neutral, so you can have avocado, butter on veggies ect. I have high insulin but not high blood sugar and I started gaining weight after weighing the exact same weight for over 20 years. My insulin levels were suddenly very high.

Basically if you have high insulin if you eat 1200 calories of food, 500 calories goes towards fat storge...this means if you want to maintain your weight, you can't consume more than 700 calories a day with out it going towards fat storage. People with regular insulin can eat 1200 calories a day and zero goes towards fat storge.

What raises insulin? Fruit, sugar, starchy carbs. Most doctors don't even test for insulin just blood sugar. doctors found out about insulin and weight gain by treating insulin dependent diabetics. Diabetics that injected too much insulin gained weight and teenage girls figured out if they did not inject as much insulin that they remained slim...

Not everyone who gains weight has high insulin but it's a major factor especially when people are not over eating and are gaining weight. All type 2 diabetics have high insulin. Good luck, keep trying new things to see what works for you.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/17/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Coy
    Last Activity
    10-19-2015 01:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

If I were you I would make an appointment with a certified nutritionist. It sounds like you need to review and work on your diet. Do it now before your weight gain gets out of control. I have seen way to many people that have the sleeve and continue to make bad nutritional decisions. Seek out the help and get back on track.
    This is going to be quite an adventure

Highest weight 370 lbs
    Start of 1 week pre-op diet 357 lbs
    Day of surgery - 340 lbs
    1 month weight - 314 lbs
    2 month weight - 301 lbs
    3 month weight - 285 lbs
    4 month weight -
    5 month weight -
    6 month weight -

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I agree with ^^^ earlier advice.

We don't have enough info about what you're eating or how much or how often or in what order, combinations, etc. to offer specific advice -- other than that you probably will have to sort out not only your food intake and your exercise, but some emotional / behavioral issues. If you don't already have the support of a counselor / therapist, if I were in your shoes I'd find one pronto!

The good news is that it's a LOT easier to lose 30 pounds than to lose 80 pounds (which you did with your sleeve). You don't have an insurmountable problem. But you do need to get the upper hand on it very soon. You started doing that when you posted here and admitted you have a problem. But you can't fix it only by agonizing over it. You've got to pull your resources together and tackle it now.

Very, very best wishes. You CAN address this. And if you do, you'll be stronger than you were before you dealt with it.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member TERRI HURST's Avatar
    Name
    TERRI DAWN HURST
    Surgery date
    03/25/2015
    Surgeon
    DR.MARIO ALMANZA
    Last Activity
    02-08-2018 01:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 625 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 229 Times
    Blog Entries

Do you still have to drink protain drinks

Gastric Sleeve Member projax5000's Avatar
    Name
    Jen
    Surgery date
    04/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-07-2019 09:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 101 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 60 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times

Look at the bariatric eating support on Facebook...there is a back on track eating plan to follow...or bot it is called

Surgery date
    05/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Almuanza
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 10:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 66 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Do exactly what you were doing in the beginning. Don't give up and 177 you can handle that. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/11/2012
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

Thank you! I hardly eat fruit mainly because I don't like them, rarely have starches and I only have sugar in my coffee which I didn't think could make me gain this much weight all I eat is protein, eggs, chicken, quest bars, tons of avocados idk I am not eating like how I used to! If I do have Starchy carbs it will be very randomly and even if I wanted a big portion my stomach won't allow it bc I get nauseas from fried food...I am going to cut out sugars and see if that helps thank you

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/11/2012
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

Honestly, no. I never saw him again after surgery. nobody besides my immediate family knows I got this surgery and my father is a doctor so anything medical I just ask him at home lol

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/11/2012
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times

Thank you I'll check it out!

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

Cut down on the avocado, even though it's good for you, it has a ton of fat. Start walking and exercising, you will do this!

Gastric Sleeve Member carollee57's Avatar
    Name
    Carollee Reynolds
    Surgery date
    06/18/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Abujash
    Last Activity
    04-03-2017 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Unhappy Re: 3 years since my gastric sleeve

Hi I had my sleeve in June of 2012 so it has been three years for me, I was about 250 got down to 200 and now am 217, I joined weight watchers (I am 58 and have a sedentary job and arthritis) so I am also thinking about alturnatives

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    02/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Leblanc
    Last Activity
    07-11-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 45 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times
    Blog Entries

I made 3 years this past February. I reached my lowest adult weight of 157 pounds shortly before my 3 year sleeversary. I have since fluctuated between 5-7 pounds but the one thing that works for me when I feel a little "fat" is to go back on the full liquid only intake for a couple of days and restart my thinking about what I am putting into my body. I try to be mindful of clean eating when I feel that I need to take out a pound or two. This means, lean baked or grilled chicken or seafood, fresh veggies or salad and NO processed foods of any sort. When I am eating clean I wont even eat protein bars or shakes. If it comes in a package it is off limits on those days. I also up my water intake to help flush out toxins. It usually only takes a couple of days to get things back to normal. You may want to try having some "go to" meals prepared so that takes the thought out of what to eat. and try doing one or two days a week of strictly meat and veggie. One of my go to meals is to keep a grilled chicken breast and some grilled shrimp in the fridge with a large container of mixed salad greens, a separate container of cucumber slices, some cherry tomatoes, fresh strawberries,and some sliced almonds. At meal time I make me a salad with the greens, cucumber, tomato, slice some strawberries and add the almonds. I throw in the chicken or the shrimp and dress it simply with balsamic vinegar and olive oil. If I don't have to think about what I want to eat it is easier for me to eat healthy. I just went through a kitchen cleanse this week and threw out all the junk that crept in over the holiday and restocked my fridge and fruit basket with healthy options. Hopefully by next week I will have lost most of the two pounds I picked up on the long July 4th weekend. Wishing you success in your journey.

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

I am also 3 years out and JUST got to my goal. The last few lbs was primarily due to panniculectomy/abdominoplasty. That, however does not mean I got a free pass! lol! I had to work, work, work on getting to where I am. Like above, I try to stay right on top of things and lose the few lbs I go up and down with post haste. I weigh EVERY SINGLE DAY and if that scale goes up, I eat mainly protein for a few days. I still try to start the day with an omlette or eggs and bacon. Once in awhile I will have oatmeal with some brown sugar. I cannot start out the day with pancakes or muffins as much as I love them, because my sugar will be in the toilet the rest of the day. For me, it has been all about my diet. I don't tend to exercise much, but I enjoy walking and know if Instart gaining, I will head back to the treadmill, which I did every day when losing the bulk of my weight. Planning is very important for your meals. I also tracked using myfitnesspal. I think you just have to get excited about the process like you did when you were first sleeved. I will sometimes spend some time looking up low carb recipes and make a grocery list and enjoy the time in the store looking for fresh veggies and trying the new recipes. I love to cook, so that helps. I try to stay around 25-30 carbs for about 2 weeks, then eat normally for a week, then go back down to the lower carbs. That helped my body not get used to living on the lower carbs long term. Anyway, hope this helps! You CAN do this!!!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

21. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast