I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/06/2013
    Last Activity
    07-16-2015 09:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Help. Im so disappointed in myself.

Hi. I had my surgery a year and a half ago. I did very well for the first year, but now, I am slacking so bad. I am obsessed w carbs, cant stop snacking, and i just hate myself over it. I throw all my snacks away at work to keep me from snacking, but when I get frustrated, irritating or...well, basically, any emotion, I go to the store and give in to my cravings. Then I'm mad at myself and throw it away. Its a vicious circle. I have lost 95 lbs, and I am so grateful, but i feel like an addict. I just cant stop. I want to get back on track, but....I feel like the control I had last year isn't part of me anymore. Does that make any sense? Does anyone have any ideas on how to get me to stop being so weak? How do I find my inner willpower? Please help. I'm stuck in a hole and looking for a way out.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/12/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sherrod
    Last Activity
    03-13-2017 06:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Help. Im so disappointed in myself.

Forgive yourself ( we all have or weakness and down faults ) and get back on track. What I do when I want carbs or think I do I buy a bag of Quest protein chips. They have about 110 calories and <5 grams of carbs and 21 grams of protein. And when I want something sweet I will eat a Quest protein bar. Now they have more carbs but they aren't all bad carbs. And they have about 170 calories 25 grams of carbs and 20 grams of protein. Try drinking water when you feel hungry. Or maybe have some SF jello. Good luck hon

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Chen
    Last Activity
    02-12-2017 09:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Another option - sometimes you need to be accountable to someone in order to get over a hump. Check to see if you have employee assistance benefits at work. Often they are forgotten, but with them you can usually get up to 6 visits with a counselor for free. Meet with a counselor 1 or 2 times a week for a few weeks to help you forge a path of behavior management strategies that deals with the exhaustion, apathy, neglect feelings you may have. This isn't a problem you can think your way out of. Only taking actions will make a difference. Having a professional help you identify those actions and follow up with you is a solid strategy. Ask for homework at the end of each session so you know what behaviors you have to practice and report back on at the next visit.

If you don't have any behavioral health benefits, but you do have medical benefits, get in touch with a bariatric nutritionist, either your previous one, or an entirely new one if you feel like the previous one will judge you. They deal with refocusing previous patients every day and have solid strategies to get you out of the vicious cycle. Many people decide that staying in contact with the nutritionist every few months is enough accountability to keep them motivated.
    March 19 15- 262!!! Highest Weight Recorded at Doctor's Office

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member New_me_Ari's Avatar
    Name
    Arianna
    Surgery date
    06/16/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Richard Gordon
    Last Activity
    11-28-2016 11:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 79 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 118 Times

Hello, I have just recently been sleeved. I also recommend a counselor. In fact I just met with mine last Friday. It has surely helped me because as you know alot of the unhealthy eating came from previous emotional experiences that just don't go away. Some people are a trigger for us. I realized that as well. I broke up with my ex 5 days post op. On the path to getting healthy I just refused to continue to allow the same things to prevent me from finding my happiness. Youralready experience what this tool is capable of but you have to continue to be consistent as I see you are capable of as well. There's nothing wrong with speaking with someone to uncover the reason why your eating & they'll teach you skills on what you can do to help you. By the way, my homework from my counselor was for me to work on healthy boundaries. & wow! It has made a world of difference even with my kids.

9. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

We were sleeved around the same time. You're still down 95 pounds? That's fantastic! I'm with you, the maintaining is so much more difficult than the losing part. Old habits die hard, I am very far from perfect with my diet. We are food addicts, or we wouldn't have been huge in the first place. So it is a struggle that we will always be dealing with. (But harder, because an alcoholic can stop drinking, we can't stop eating.)

I weigh myself daily, it helps. I typically stay within 3 pounds of my goal. I think I maintain by exercising, specifically running. I love it, and I think because of it I can have my treats sometimes if I want them. I would rather work out than diet anyway.

Good luck! We can do it!

(Waiting for the sun to come up so I can get to my woods!)

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear you're struggling.

One thing I know about the struggles of the obese and formerly obese to recover from emotional eating is true: We won't get better by doing the same things we did before; we have to do something different.

I'm going to bet you've never had counseling or therapy around emotional eating. Right?

If so, it's time for you to do something different.

I can imagine you thinking: I don't know where to find a counselor. I don't have the money for a counselor. I don't think a counselor could help me. If I got a counselor, others would think I'm weak or stupid. A counselor probably wouldn't change anything in the long run. It's all up to me anyway -- there's no easy way out.

Now substitute the words "WLS" or "surgeon" for "counselor." Sound familiar?

I started seeing a therapist before I had WLS. I'm still seeing him. I have planned to see a counselor for three years:

Year One - the year of losing weight
    Year Two - the year of maintaining weight
    Year Three - the year of boring real life.

And I'm one of the toughest, smartest people I know. If not the most humble.

Please go find the help you need. It's the smartest, toughest thing you could possibly do for yourself.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Its definitely not easy. It seems like all of a sudden my appetite has come roaring back! I have gone back to weighing and measuring my food, I am aware of what I am eating, when I feel like I'm going to do some mindless eating, I get up and go into my craft room, or take my dogs out to play, in other words, I do something else away from the kitchen, away from mindless eating. Today I joined a gym and plan on bringing that exercise back into my life. You can do this, just remember what the alternative is, if you don't!

15. Said thanks: