Surgeon
    Dr Philip vanden Borre
    Last Activity
    09-27-2017 08:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Thumbs up What is the main purpose for these phase's (clear liquid, full, pureed/soft, normal)

I just wanted to hear your opinion on why post op, one has to follow these phases?
    I was told to go on 1st Week - clear fluids, 2nd week - full liquids, 3rd - pureed, 4th soft-pureed, 5th - kind of normal..and so on...

So why do we have to follow these steps? Not saying i haven't been..or that i am not going to! lol but just curious as to why we have to follow it.

Thank you!

No pre op diet.
    10th June 2015, Day of surgery - 85.5KG
    10th July 2015 1 Month Post op -

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    cathi
    Surgery date
    03/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    05-30-2021 01:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 506 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 363 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What is the main purpose for these phase's (clear liquid, full, pureed/soft, normal)

because you have a TENDER tummy..
    you just lost 3/4s of your tummy and the last thing you want is a leak..that was the thing that made me do it..
    but it wont last forever and soon you will feel more and more normal..promise you

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: What is the main purpose for these phase's (clear liquid, full, pureed/soft, normal)

So your stomach can heal after being cut open.

6. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

Many other surgeries I have had have required some type of diet restrictions. The first thing they bring you is broth, jello and popsicle. With the entire surgery being our tummies, that would be all the more reason. Even if we were allowed to eat differently, it would probably make us wish we hadn't! There's nothing worse than eating something after surgery that makes you vomit.....even days or weeks later.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kathy
    Surgery date
    04/03/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    01-26-2017 05:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 49 Times
    Blog Entries

The Dr. told me that I have a stomach like a babies, & I should treat it as such. I would not give a baby orange juice or a hamburger before it was ready, so that is / was how I think of my stomach. That just kind of puts it in perspective for me.

217.....Surgical consult
    202.....Day of surgery..April 3, 2015

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

I copied and pasted this info. I deleted the duration times, that varies from one surgeon to another.

Stage 1 (Clear Liquids)
    After surgery, you will be started on a clear liquid diet. You will continue to consume clear liquids at
    home. The main purpose of the clear liquid diet is to provide adequate fluids to prevent dehydration
    while the digestive system recovers from surgery.

Stage 2 (Full Liquids)
    At the second stage, the digestive system is recovered from the effects of surgery and can tolerate more
    foods. This stage still prevents dehydration but also provides nutrition to promote recovery and healing.

Stage 3 (Soft Diet)
    It takes approximately 4-5 weeks for the suture lines to heal after surgery. The Soft diet stage consists
    of mechanically soft foods that will not place stress on the new stomach. It is also a time to learn what
    “full” is. The amount of high-calorie liquids that may be consumed changes slightly at this stage.

Stage 4 (Regular Diet)
    Your stomach has now healed to the point where it can be used in the capacity of a weight loss tool.
    You will progress to a regular diet as tolerated. We recommend that you eat three small meals a day
    and consume a high-protein drink or snack. Nearly all of the beverages you drink should be non-caloric
    beverages.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

13. Said thanks: