Thread: Anorexia

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-21-2010 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Anorexia

Is anyone here struggled with anorexia before? When I was in high school I was never diagnosed as anorexic but I was extremely thin. I would only allow myself to have about 30 grams of fat a day and I drank nothing but water. I was walking 5-6 miles at least once per day sometimes twice and doing about 1500 crunches a day. This is what can happen to little girls when their mommy and daddy tell them they are fat all the time.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-21-2010 07:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

That is terrible. I cringe every time I hear a mom or someone say to a little girl that they are chunky. I just don't think they know what it does to them. I have never been anorexic, I was in great shape as a kid.
    My sister in law on the other hand was and she has her daughters thinking that it is NOT ok to be overweight (not even the slightest).

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-21-2010 05:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I hate hearing parents criticize their children over weight issues because it can totally destroy their self esteem and it just isn't helpful at all.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-21-2010 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Well if nothing else I know it's one mistake I won't make with my daughter. My husband and I have both started trying to be more active and we are really careful about having healthy foods so maybe she won't struggle wih her weight like we have.

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    10-11-2010 11:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 34 Posts

Hi All:

This is one eating disorder that I once wished I had. That may sound funny now, but back then, being overweight was worse than having a psychological disorder.

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Last Activity
    03-07-2024 11:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2,088 Times
    Was Thanked 1,538 Times in 442 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16,633 Times
    Blog Entries

Interesting viewpoint Tammy

13. Said thanks:

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    05-13-2014 08:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 220 Times
    Was Thanked 148 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 304 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anorexia

Tammy,
    Wow, your honesty is so refreshing...I thought I'd never hear anyone else utter those words. I, too, (even very recently) wished I had that disorder. You said it perfectly, I'd rather have had an eating disorder than be overweight. I know now that anorexia can be devastating to the human body, and I'm not interested in wrecking my body...I want health. In a way, though, anorexia (an addiction to being thin) is not much different psychologically from obesity (which I believe comes out of an addiction to food.) We are similar creatures. It's just like OCD sufferers can turn in to hoarders because they have to have everything perfect to a point where they become overwhelmed at the idea of keeping everything organized the way they'd like it. It's a fine line! Ultimately, I believe that food addiction is at the root of most cases of obesity. Whether it stems from needing to console ourselves when we are stressed, or from a fear of being hungry (as in my case), the result can be the same.
    That's kind of my take on the whole thing. I hope you have overcome your anorexia, Brenda!
    CHECK OUT MY BLOG! momster1971@blogspot.com

Sleeved January 24th, 2011 with Dr. Alvarez

Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    07-28-2019 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 75 Times
    Blog Entries

I had issues as a teen also. I struggled with weight issues and became very self destructive at 18. I starved myself and it lasted for almost 2 years. I Hated myself so much and blamed my weight on my being unloved. I literally wanted to starve to death! It was a very slow painful way to go. When i got married and became happy and well mentally, i started eating again. then when my babies were born i started gaining weight. My painful struggle with weight gain went on for 25 years and there were many times i wished so bad that i could be anorexic or bulimic but could never work up enough self hatred and mental illness to get there if that makes since! Now that i have finally lost the weight, i feel the destructiveness hit me pretty hard and it really took me by surprise. I have this horrible fear of gaining it all back and it is so easy to simply not eat now that food has no hold on me. I cant believe how much anger at myself i have for Getting so fat for so long. It all becomes overwhelming and confusing at times.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member jerzeygirl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/20/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Louis Balsama
    Last Activity
    01-22-2020 03:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 924 Times in 694 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 485 Times
    Blog Entries

Rainbow, thanks for your honest sharing and hopefully, it might help others. I think this site is so helpful because we can say whatever we're feeling without fear of others thinking we're "freaky" although I am a "freak"...lol... I also wonder why other longer time sleevers dropped off the site as their input would also be very helpful. I would like to give kudos to everyone who shares their honest feelings and wish everyone good luck!

18. Said thanks:

Name
    kk
    Surgery date
    06/29/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Parrent
    Last Activity
    02-13-2012 01:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

I was anorexic in high school... diagnosed and went through treatment only to swing to obesity. Because of my anorexia I stunted my growth, screwed up my reproductive system, and can remember a time when I wasn't fat. As an obese person I have wished that I still had the will power of my teenage self to eat 250-300 calories a day and still convince myself I wasn't hungry. I couldn't look at myself w/o comparing 245 pound current me to 125 pound me and thinking that the current me was obviously a huge failure. My parents always had weight problems (both have since undergone WLS), but my mother always told/tells me how much thinner she was at my age, and how (even when at 125 pds) I was bound to be alone forever b/c no one wanted a fat g/f or wife. She is getting better as she has sought therapy for her own issues, and has started to realize how poisonous her remarks were... she still justifies them, however, as trying to do what was right for me. Blessedly my father has NEVER said anything negative about my size or weight. I still have issues, but therapy has helped and hopefully my sleeve help me achieve and stay at a healthy weight and state of mind.

20. Said thanks:

Name
    Rainbow
    Surgery date
    07/23/2009
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    07-28-2019 05:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 73 Times
    Was Thanked 195 Times in 128 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 75 Times
    Blog Entries

GA-Aggie,
    Stay confident and strong, but Be prepared for it when you loose all the weight and are thin again. Because of your past and background you may be at risk. I was taken by surprise from the emotions that seem overwhelming at times. Believe it or not, Sometimes i still feel fat. & other times I just become overwhelmed with the fear that i am gaining it all back, It has triggered alot of the Adolescent irrational self hatred and destructive thinking and behavior. I have Maturity and wisdom on my side now and I use it to overcome these issues, but it is a DAILY battle.

22. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Christy
    Surgery date
    09/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-16-2014 05:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 645 Times
    Was Thanked 491 Times in 418 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 493 Times
    Blog Entries

Its funny how our mother's words stay with us! I was the opposite...I was very thin as a child and a teenager and a young adult. I could eat anything, anytime, anywhere and not gain weight. My mom use to always tell me, "You'll never have to worry about gaining weight" or "You'll never have a big butt", etc, etc. Welllllll....as I got older, had a hysterectomy, metbolism slowed down and whatever else happens as we age...I continued to eat anything, anytime, anywhere because Mom told me I never had to worry about gaining weight, right?! As I gained weight, I was in denial soo bad!! Even looking at the number on the scale, I wouldn't believe it. I can't say how I finally WOKE UP and saw what I had become...uh....it might have been having to buy a 2X top???!!! My mom passed away back in 2005...luckily she never saw me at my highest weight...I always think about how ashamed I would have been if she ever saw me like that. Well, I mean...I was ashamed...even without her seeing me.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/23/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pesta
    Last Activity
    06-19-2013 01:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I'm told I'm anorexic now. I hate it and am fighting it every step of the way. No way did I go from obese to anorexic. When I was a teenager I wished I was but once someone tries to pin that diagnosis on you, it suddenly feels very bad!

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    05-13-2014 08:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 220 Times
    Was Thanked 148 Times in 84 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 304 Times
    Blog Entries

I have recently been told I am anorexic by my doctor. Wow how things can change, but all in all, I see how an eating disorder can be related to other eating disorders. I still see myself as the fat girl in the room as well. It's all very challenging, but one thing I can say is that the surgery works...physically. Now I'm working on the mind part of it. :-)
    CHECK OUT MY BLOG! momster1971@blogspot.com

Sleeved January 24th, 2011 with Dr. Alvarez

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

I was very chunky as a child and my parents NEVER said "don't eat that, go outside and play" or "wait until dinner time". I don't understand why! I became very overweight. I got thin after high school, through hard work, but in later years became bulimic. Not good for your health.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2