Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    05-29-2017 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Almanza...unethical?

it might sounds stupid but do u mind provide me some info of getting the surgery done at a low BMI?
    Im 5'4", 150 ibs, have suffered from weight and food addiction issues for many years tried everything includes liposuction and of course the old fashion way (my heightest weight was about BMI 32) so honestly i do need a doctor that can just provide the surgery for me and i have been considering with a logical mind for really long. So yeah if u can gimme the infos of Dr. Almanza or someone else can do so, i trully appreciate it a lot.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Any time I looked up a surgeon who did bariatric surgery, the contact info was right there for how to reach him.
    Not faulting you on wanting a solution to the weight struggles, I get it. I had what was considered by many a lower BMI & was seriously attacked by someone I considered a dear friend, for choosing to go this route. I had a weight of nearly 170 when I had the surgery, and 5'4" as well. I also had comorbidities.

The sleeve is a valuable tool, but only that. It won't solve the food addiction issue, that will still be there & a force to be reckoned with, sleeve or no. It needs to be addressed separately, imho you would do well to get therapy for it before the sleeve - because if you overeat with the sleeve you can defeat the purpose of it & possibly put yourself in danger, especially when the sleeve is new.

I didn't go with Dr. Almanza, my surgeon was Dr. Lopez as I did want a surgeon who had a top cap of surgeries per day - at 4. Some of his associates I'm told, like Dr. Valenzuela would not have been willing to sleeve me at my BMI. Dr. Lopez did, as I had multiple health issues that were being affected by or caused by my excess weight.

There are many factors that can indicate how overweight you are, BMI is only one. Waist to hip ratio, genetics, comorbidities - these are other indicators of how severe your weight situation is. My waist was 42 inches around, and of course I was holding it in as much as I could. I was hugely apple shaped. In any case, gather all the info you can & if you find a surgeon who balks at doing your surgery, or recommends other measures first - please try to accept this as concern for your well being & not be frustrated by it. It's a process - getting sleeved is just the beginning & it's hard work - not without risk.

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    06/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Fernando Garcia
    Last Activity
    04-21-2017 07:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts

Im new here, and I do not wish to seem contrary, but it strikes me as a bit odd that we would consider attacking a professional's integrity by calling them "unethical" for doing something another doctor would not do.

because 1 doctor would perform a procedure when another wouldnt, that makes the first doctor unethical?

i have obese friends that would never think of getting a sleeve or any procedure done for a variety of reasons, including the risks. Does the fact that the wont do something that i am seriously considering make me unethical?
    No date set as of yet

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I would call someone willing to do weight loss surgery on someone 5'3" and 140 pounds totally unethical. Isn't that the top of the "desirable" BMI? Anything for money I guess. Just say NO!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Its really well-considered and helpful what you just said, I would consider it more seriously. I keep telling myself there is no shortcut for anything in life and if I can lose 50 ibs before why Im so desperate to have the VGS now, honestly I do ask myself that everyday and know theres no string attached between food addiction and sleeve or not. As you said, its all hard work and I would keep doing my research and focus on well being. Thanks a lot, it was really grateful to saying all those to me, I really appreciate it.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I would call someone willing to do weight loss surgery on someone 5'3" and 140 pounds totally unethical. Isn't that the top of the "desirable" BMI? Anything for money I guess. Just say NO!
    I'm gonna resort to tinman's comparison to cosmetic surgery on this one. I guess a surgeon willing to do a WLS procedure on someone already within a normal BMI is not unlike a surgeon doing breast implants on someone with DD's wanting to get G or H cups. Vanity (or low self esteem) and spare cash can get you most anything. And it's not too hard to find a surgeon willing to fulfill your wildest dreams...... Of course these are are the surgeons I would run, not walk, away from Yikes!

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jlulu View Post
    it might sounds stupid but do u mind provide me some info of getting the surgery done at a low BMI?
    Im 5'4", 150 ibs, have suffered from weight and food addiction issues for many years tried everything includes liposuction and of course the old fashion way (my heightest weight was about BMI 32) so honestly i do need a doctor that can just provide the surgery for me and i have been considering with a logical mind for really long. So yeah if u can gimme the infos of Dr. Almanza or someone else can do so, i trully appreciate it a lot.
    As you've said above, you have food addiction issues. Have you been in therapy to address those issues that are driving your overweight? If not, please try to find a good therapist who can work with you to help you. Those food addiction issues, untreated, will stop you from being successful long-term.

It also seems clear that you have no idea how much weight you can lose after a sleeve. If you are sleeved at your current weight (and if you have enough money you can find someone somewhere who will do surgery on you) you'll probably get down to 100 pounds or even lower.

Visualize that. I am, and it's not pretty.

If / when that happens you'll try to gain some weight back -- and given your "food addiction" issues and no instruction post-op about what's involved in changing your lifestyle to be succcessful long-term, you'll eat ALL the wrong things (slider foods). These foods will take you back to the weight you are now -- or higher.

Please consider seriously our advice. We've all been there and know what's involved after VSG surgery. And very best wishes to you!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

i honestly dont think so. Im like same weight and height as the daughter in the post, i did everything as dieting, pills, lipos and yeah exercising to get to my current weight (as Chinese is still obviously overweight and ppl would judge me on my weight but on US standard is def ok since asian has smaller structure and stc, anyways). So the three times lipo i had, provided me a more balanced boy shape but doesnt cure my "volume eater" habit and didnt make me lose more than 5 ibs since the skins and pure fat removed was really not heavy. Nips works for ppl who are so close to the "perfect" (u get what i mean, like one feet away from the model figure), thats what my doctor told me and tucks/lipo would help with the body fat percentage but not so much with the BMI which is directivly associated with the scale number.
    Its just some thoughts from my past experiences, Im currently still seeking for the help of sleeve though >_<

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Dr. AlejandroLopez was your surgeon was he? i found some review about him here back to 2012 but nothing so much recently

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times

He's a good surgeon. At the time of my surgery, he was with Mexico Bariatric Center and also working under his own business. He may only be with his own business now, I'm not sure.
    I'd go with him again (not that I need any more surgery, I'm fine) but probably only if the hospital was Hospital Angeles.

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jlulu View Post
    i honestly dont think so. Im like same weight and height as the daughter in the post, i did everything as dieting, pills, lipos and yeah exercising to get to my current weight (as Chinese is still obviously overweight and ppl would judge me on my weight but on US standard is def ok since asian has smaller structure and stc, anyways). So the three times lipo i had, provided me a more balanced boy shape but doesnt cure my "volume eater" habit and didnt make me lose more than 5 ibs since the skins and pure fat removed was really not heavy. Nips works for ppl who are so close to the "perfect" (u get what i mean, like one feet away from the model figure), thats what my doctor told me and tucks/lipo would help with the body fat percentage but not so much with the BMI which is directivly associated with the scale number.
    Its just some thoughts from my past experiences, Im currently still seeking for the help of sleeve though >_<
    jlulu, the Chinese heritage makes a difference. I learned, after my surgery, that for Asians the BMI for what is considered obese is different. In Japan, a woman qualifies as obese at BMI of 25. We are different (I'm half Japanese), we generally have smaller bone structure and also we have comorbidities as a lower BMI. If memory serves, the average BMI at which a person reaches an A1C qualifying as pre-diabetic is BMI of 26 where the study was done, in Japan. It was a vindication for me, because I knew I was fat & I was having all kinds of fallout from it health wise.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Seems like he is mainly working for his own hospital now, I contacted with his coordinator but havent decide the date yet. How much weight you lost in the past few years? Do you feel like your life style quality is improved after the surgery?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Seems like he is mainly working for his own hospital now, I contacted with his hospital but havent decide the date yet. How much weight you lost in the past few years? Do you feel like your life style quality is improved after the surgery?

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times

I don't think it's his own hospital, just working under his own business.
    I was at 168 at my highest weight right before surgery. I am now stable in the low 130s. I did drop down to 127, but not lower than that. I'm happy with it. I'm not bone thin, but at a healthy weight. I was gaining weight quickly, at the time I decided finally on getting sleeved, and I have no doubt that I would have continued to gain had I not done gone ahead with a permanent solution. I had tried everything, south beach diet, HCG shots, diet pills, lipo, and was no longer able to exercise like a fiend due to chronic back problems after my 2nd failed back surgery. I was in a bad spot.
    Anyway it has helped me. I'm glad I did it, but a lot of things went into my decision. If I had been 20 years younger, didn't have a nonunion in my spine after my 2nd fusion, then I wouldn't have needed the sleeve. But had that been the case, I wouldn't have put on so much weight I was unable to lose. I could only lose 5 or 10 pounds with drastic dieting, and then each time I'd put it back on & then some later.

22. Said thanks: