Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    11-30-2015 10:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Another website goes to the Dark Side

There is another website, B p that used to be a solid support site. However in the last 6 months they have been aggressively promoting their Mexico special deals and doctors. It seems that their coordinators just bombard the threads providing details of their specials. Those who challenge or disagree with their statements have their posts removed or can get banned like I did. It is interesting that the owner of the site AB, previously has strongly advised against having surgery in Mexico. Things have changed and they promote 5 surgeons with varying experience at low costs. Several of their surgeons are young and trying to build a business. Two have good experience although one of the them is a convicted felon.
    When Kindle, BBTravel, Freddie 8 and Rocky1 provided input which was perceived as not in the best interests of their business, the posts quietly disappear. Their coordinators are assisted by shills who have little knowledge other than to state that their Doctor is incredible..These folks only post on this topic and offer minimal useful infom
    I have lost all respect for their website, in particular the Mexico and Self Pay section.
    Money ruined their website. What a shame.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Another website goes to the Dark Side

I so agree I was banned for posting my experience with a doctor other than theirs and was given the boot within 4 hours.
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Well they are now trashing your doctors facility, Santa Fe Medical Center,claiming it was closed by the government.
    B p only wants to hear positive experience about their surgeons. They basically made their Mexico thread a censored self promoting one. Their other threads are not like that at all. Their coordinator and several others post often and unsolicited. Even one of their surgeons responds to many posts with a generic spam like message offering his services and Skyping with him. It is getting ridiculous. Their credibility took a huge hit.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I suppose one's opinion about the value of this or any other WLS forums depends on whether you think the major value of a WLS message board is:

1. Solely to guide prospective WLS patients to select specific Mexican surgeons or

2. To provide support for people who are considering whether or not to have WLS and those who've already had WLS.

If you were a salesperson for a specific surgeon, you'd surely have a different perspective than someone who was merely a WLS patient.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Antonio Lopez Corvala
    Last Activity
    08-18-2017 11:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Apparently they've chosen option A. All of the other good things on the forum are just to get new people directed to their sales team.
    My last post that got me banned merely stated to someone starting surgeon research that they should do their own research and not just listen to someone who stands to gain financially from which surgeon they choose. I did not say anything negative about their surgeons or try to promote mine. I just hate to see people "sold" on a surgeon. It starts to feel like a used car lot, not a medical board.

11. Said thanks:

12. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

Yeah the funny thing is of their doctor they are promoting is. I figure what comes around goes around. Karma is a nasty thing.
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Their coordinator David is annoying with all his spam like posts and his promoting Skype and a recovery condo. He thinks Centers of Excellence are nothing special and that all his hospitals are equipped for emergencies just like they are in the U.S.
    Scary part is people fall for this stuff. He does not believe FACS or JCI are important because Mexico standards are just as good. He is a pesky salesman who keeps on promoting. If I went to buy a car from someone who sells like he does, I would walk right out the door.
    Sounds like they provide good service but I didn't go to have surgery to socialize or have my hand held each step of the way. I went to stay in a hospital for 4 days and chill and recuperate for 2 days in a hotel.

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

I did 2 days in the clinic and 1 at the hotel and I was happy with that. I really don't think I would like going to a hotel or a recovery house (apartment) within 24 hours of my surgery. I am just picky like that. It is sad that the forums are not like they use to be. When I was searching for a doctor there was great support and information given it also was a safe place to share your experience. I have noticed over the last few years that the forums are turning more to selling than helping. This is one of the last forums that is still good for finding help not saying there are not a few bad apples out there attacking people but all and all here you can still express your opinion without being banned.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member peteyrulz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/18/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Rodriguez
    Last Activity
    08-11-2020 08:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 105 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 283 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveroo View Post
    There is another website, B p that used to be a solid support site. However in the last 6 months they have been aggressively promoting their Mexico special deals and doctors. It seems that their coordinators just bombard the threads providing details of their specials. Those who challenge or disagree with their statements have their posts removed or can get banned like I did. It is interesting that the owner of the site AB, previously has strongly advised against having surgery in Mexico. Things have changed and they promote 5 surgeons with varying experience at low costs. Several of their surgeons are young and trying to build a business. Two have good experience although one of the them is a convicted felon.
    When Kindle, BBTravel, Freddie 8 and Rocky1 provided input which was perceived as not in the best interests of their business, the posts quietly disappear. Their coordinators are assisted by shills who have little knowledge other than to state that their Doctor is incredible..These folks only post on this topic and offer minimal useful infom
    I have lost all respect for their website, in particular the Mexico and Self Pay section.
    Money ruined their website. What a shame.
    I couldn't agree more! What a racket.

I remember you from That Other Site; I see you're 6 days post-op. Congratulations! How are you feeling?
    Any tips for those of us going to MX?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Feeling fine but,tired. just got home last nite. Going to PCP today for monitoring blood pressure and overall general health. They despised me on the other site because I spoke my mind and challenged some of their shills. The way they behave is borderline unprofessional/sleazy.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Tips: ask questions if you are uncertain about anything. If you are going with a medical tourism company that arranges everything, you will be well taken care of. Since I stayed longer, I brought gauze, tape and band aids. The farmacias are everywhere and have cheap medications.
    The Google translator app was helpful on occasion.
    Every time a med was given in my IV, I asked them, que es el nombre de este medicacion.

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member SweetDejavu's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    09-03-2015 08:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 233 Times
    Blog Entries

I see Judy is at it again with her negative post about Dr Q! I can't speak for anyone else but I had a great experience with Dr. Quinones! I am 8 weeks out and I haven't had any issues not even nausea or gas! Each case will be individualized but she really needs to move forward! Jumping from forum to forum with that venom is just awful!

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

There will always be a few unhappy patients for any surgeon. Just because I have a great result with my surgeon doesn't guarantee the next patient will. So many factors are in play. I just hate when people make accusations about a doctor without any medical foundation. They need to read the informed consent listing all the potential complications.
    I,am only 1 week out and pray that things will progress well.

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I agree with your point. I find that the volume of posts from the "sales team" is just plain annoying. I don't have personal knowledge of the banning or whatever so no comment on that, but it is disappointing.

As someone who had surgery 3.5 years ago in a USA based COE - I don't even pay attention to the Mexican surgeon promotions. There is much to be gained from these support forums over the long haul that have nothing to do with picking a surgeon.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

28. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Agreed. The other threads have valuable support. The Mexico forum was good until B p went to the special super deals. I am no longer contributing on that thread because they delete posts. Screw them.

30. Said thanks: