Surgeon
    Dr.Carlin
    Last Activity
    06-07-2015 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default 2 weeks post op

Hi everyone, I'm struggling with this post op diet. My birthday was yesterday and I was so depressed I could eat anything. I've been feeling very depressed and bored lately, did anyone run into this problem? And I feel like I'm not losing weight fast enough. Only down 5 pounds and this is supposed to be the "rapid weight loss period".

HW:308
    PreOp:285
    GW:165

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Wendi
    Surgery date
    02/18/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Scott Stowers
    Last Activity
    01-26-2016 09:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 2 weeks post op

I think most people feel like this in the weeks following surgery and cannot wait to eat again. It's hard going without food. I don't think a lot of people realize how hard it is to give up. It goes against all of our instincts. We have some strong drive in us to eat because that is something we need to do to survive. Our brains don't care if we are overweight... they still think we need to be eating and when we go against those instincts I think it can make us feel depressed and panicky.

Just keep in mind that you are not alone. I know my toughest time was around 3 weeks. I was so ready to eat again and when I finally could I started on soft foods and it just wasn't satisfying in the way I remembered. I didn't want yogurt.. I wanted spaghetti and pizza and steak! Then it was depressing because only a few bites in and I felt so full I knew one more bite would make me sick. It's hard adjusting to life with a sleeve and as you hit each new milestone you will think, "So THIS is what it's going to be like??" and sometimes that can be very depressing. Just remember that you will get used to this new way of life and your body will continue to change for a while as you heal. I am almost 3 months out and absolutely love my sleeve now. I have learned what foods work better for me and what foods to avoid. Pasta and bread are no longer the friends they used to be... they don't taste as good and fill me up way too fast. I have learned to go very slow and enjoy each bite. Learning to get enjoyment out of a MUCH smaller amount was probably the hardest part but I am finally managing it.

Basically, it is all about giving it time and letting your body and mind adjust to the new you. Go slowly and use this time to relearn good habits.

As for getting bored and depressed with the liquid diet, one of the things that helped me was getting soup from the local Chinese place. I LOVE Chinese food and being able to have some egg drop soup one day and hot and sour the next really did a lot for me. I didn't eat any chunks, of course but it actually tasted like "real food" and did a lot for my spirits. And for a bonus I was able to get down what I felt was a whole lot and it really boosted my fluid intake.

Speaking of that, make sure you are getting enough water because that can really slow down your weight loss if you're not. I thought I was doing okay because I was getting in 64 ozs of fluid but a lot of that was through shakes and powerade zero and stuff. My weight loss was very slow and constantly stalling. As soon as I started back on water and got in several bottles a day my weight loss took off again. Just food for thought.

Anyway, good luck. Remember that all of this takes time and you will just have to figure out what works best for you!

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Ramiro Sonny Cavazos
    Last Activity
    02-12-2018 10:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

What you are feeling is natural. Check out how your clothes are fitting not how much weight you lost. Your body just had a shock. Give it time to heal. Walk as much as you can and sip that water constantly. Yes, I was bored and a little depressed but when I went to the theater 4 weeks out and I fit in that seat I knew I made the best decision.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member janieronah's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/27/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr.Carlin
    Last Activity
    06-07-2015 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you! Yeah I definitely need to get more water in that's forsure, it's just so taxing! I feel like drinking the protein and water is a chore. And I am sick of my protein shakes (premier protein), every sip I basically gag! So I can't wait until I can have a scrambled egg, seriously cannot wait! Hopefully this gets easier. I've gone to the movies a few times already and it was so hard to resist that popcorn! Lol.

HW:308
    PreOp:285
    GW:165

Name
    cathi
    Surgery date
    03/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    05-30-2021 01:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 506 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 363 Times
    Blog Entries

it is really hard in the begining..but you HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THAT STOMACH OF YOURS..you are still at the very very begining and every day it does get better and better..i am 9 weeks out..and it is so much better today!!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents