07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Dr. Almanza

I was reading on another weight loss surgery website ,"************" about how they are no longer going to be affiliated with Dr. Almanza.
    http://www.*****************/topic/3...a/?hl=+almanza

As a disclaimer, he did not perform my surgery, nor did I go to Mexico to have it performed, nor am I a recruiter for another surgeon and I have no personal vested interest one way or another on this topic.

I have first hand experience that this website has deleted posts that did not paint Dr Almanza in a favorable way. That is an injustice to people who are researching potential surgeons.
    There have been some serious accusations made about him and the number of surgeries he performs daily, although the overwhelming posted stories are favorable and almost all show successful outcomes.

I am sorry if this ruffles anyone's feathers, probably my surgeon and hospital where I had the procedure performed have some negative posts too. I am not saying you shouldn't have your surgery done with him, I only recommend that people research a little deeper on who is going to perform their surgery and be careful of any website that has a vested interest for particular surgeons.

Unjustifiably flame me if you want, my skin is pretty thick, I can handle it. I am not questioning your decision to have him or his hospital perform your surgery. In fact, if it wasn't for my insurance coverage, I would have gone to Mexico and very possibly him too to perform the procedure.

Updated: 9:05AM

This website blocks the name of the website as a URL link and even the word.
    The name of the site is Bariatric Pal (no space between the words Bariatric and Pal).
    I'll type the name of the website here: ************
    See what I mean. Come on website administrator, isn't that a little "Orwellian"?

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Default Re: Dr Almanza

I sort of think, in all due respect (to you), that it was bad timing. There are already too many on the forum who are shaking in their boots and on their way to Almanza. Pass the smelling salts.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

No disrespect taken, Lee.

There will never be good timing. There will always be people booked with or on their way to Dr. Almanza, so based on that, no one can ever say anything negative about him (or any other surgeon/hospital). If anything, people may be more proactive and be their own health advocate knowing this.

If I scared anyone, I apologize, but I am only relaying facts. The bigger issue is not this post, but the subject including this website's suppression of information.

If I see any reputable information regarding any other well advertised surgeon that is less than favorable, I'll post it too so people are informed.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lady J
    Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-21-2016 12:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Hello All

I went to Dr. ALMANZA, I was so pleased with his work, that since then two family members has went to him.
    He gave me back my life! I did do research, there were negative things said, but there were great
    Things said.. It's all in who you feel Comfortable with. Also your research, and the questions you ask.
    I do want to thank you for informing us about him. I know it will help someone in making there decision.

Take Care

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Lady J
    Surgery date
    06/02/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-21-2016 12:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Hello All

I went to Dr. ALMANZA, I was so pleased with his work, that since then two family members has went to him.
    He gave me back my life! I did do research, there were negative things said, but there were great
    Things said.. It's all in who you feel Comfortable with. Also your research, and the questions you ask.
    I do want to thank you for informing us about him. I know it will help someone in making there decision.

Take Care

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    11-30-2015 10:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

WLS in Mexico is very competitive and the websites are a primary way to get patients. I am in the medical field and have done serious very detailed research on selecting a surgeon including:
    1. Reviewing/confirming true credentials
    2. Viewed available surgical videos of many surgeons
    3. Read reviews from multiples sites
    4. Googled surgeon name with keywords, complication, leaks, infections, etc.....
    5. Compared surgeon credentials, training, hospitals, clinics, etc.....
    6. Protocols- DVT/PE/ sterile technique, PONV (post op nausea and vomiting)
    I have spoken to patients and even some of the surgeons and came to the conclusion that there are a small number of superb surgeons/facilities on par with what I would expect at a highly reputable bariatric center in the US.
    The highly reputable/trained group generally charges more, uses the most current anesthesia and Meds, supplies, equipment, provides real support and has a true back up plan for emergencies like a stroke or pulmonary embolism which is the number 1 cause of death during this procedure. When I have had surgery in the US, it was always with a highly credentialed surgeon and a Center of Excellence with a very low infection rate.

KEEP in mind that complications occur with any surgeon, however the difference between a true 1-2% complication rate is statistically significant and huge and not worth saving a buck. The consequences both financial and healthwise are not worth the risk. If one does not have insurance coverage for complications at home, know what the financial burden could be. A serious leak can be a six figure expense easily.

Notice, how I have not mentioned one surgeon's name on this post. I have no axe to grind.
    I think it is great that most folks on this site do well but it is the ones who have severe complications that we may never hear about but may see in the media describing their experiences.
    I just recommend that everyone research and focus on the most important part of the surgery, the procedure and focus less on cost and use these sites as one component in your search for a surgeon.
    Our common goal is to be supportive and have a successful WLS journey and outcome.

PS I hope these posts are not deleted because they are opinions with no malice or ulterior motive

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

PS In fairness to this site they are a business and usually are free with allowing posts.
    On the other hand, another site, Bp, is bombarding members with Mexico surgeons who are part of their group. It has become ridiculous, biased and changes the perception of their credibility. When they have a coordinator chiming in to many Mexico surgery threads, it becomes excessive mktg.
    That site does delete posts that seem to question their motives.
    This is why we need to be pro active and keep an open mind in selecting a surgeon.

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

i too believe in freedom of info and I am very upset with how they are restricting our use of this site. This seems to be happening more and more. I have started to restrict my involvement, I check in and if I see a post where I can share useful info re:surg. I will respond. I have used this site for 3 years and it got me through, but as we see it has changed. Keep up with the intelligent posts JoePappa, Cheers Joanne

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Dwayne
    Surgery date
    01/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    02-14-2016 06:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 239 Times
    Was Thanked 281 Times in 239 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,189 Times
    Blog Entries

I think the point trying to be made is surgery is a big deal and as such do your research. And from what I have read on this site, I think most everyone has done. I researched WLS for six months and interviewed several surgeon's before selecting the right one and right procedure for ME. Regardless of where or whom you select to have your surgery, make sure it is the right choice for you as this is much more permanent than most other decisions. Complications and negative reviews and happen anywhere. For some Mexico is their last option. I applaud anyone on not giving up and researching the best solution for their situation.

As JP mentioned sometimes you may need to use multiple methods to research your potential surgeon as some sites can be skewed much like any PS website. Talk to former patients. Review BBB, medical ,or attorney general complaints. Do your homework.

18. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristen
    Surgery date
    06/18/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-09-2015 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Was Thanked 251 Times in 218 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 185 Times
    Blog Entries

I recall some VERY negative posts, with lots of detail, on our beloved GS website about Dr. A.

Agree, he is a controversial surgeon.i had a very positive experience with him. But let's say I had a complication (like I did with my plastic surgery.) Inhave no idea what would have happened then. I feel blessed that all went very well with my procedure.

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poppa View Post
    No disrespect taken, Lee.

There will never be good timing. There will always be people booked with or on their way to Dr. Almanza, so based on that, no one can ever say anything negative about him (or any other surgeon/hospital). If anything, people may be more proactive and be their own health advocate knowing this.

If I scared anyone, I apologize, but I am only relaying facts. The bigger issue is not this post, but the subject including this website's suppression of information.

If I see any reputable information regarding any other well advertised surgeon that is less than favorable, I'll post it too so people are informed.
    JoePoppa, I agree with you. I really do. As a matter of fact, I was going to use Almanza, at first, but his clinic moved and I got no further response to my emails. I quickly switched to an available surgeon and got the ball rolling. So many have had great experiences and success using Almanza. But I've heard such a disproportionate number of problems. Our daughter is getting sleeved next month and I didn't suggest him.

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

So many choices and I hope every one of us regardless of surgeon has a safe and successful journey.

24. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Isn't this website sponsored by Almanza?

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Isn't this website sponsored by Almanza?
    Yup.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member 31startingBMI's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Said "Thanks" 29 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Going to a doctor who performs up to 10 surgeries a day would never be my first choice. You have no idea if he is fatigued, moving too fast so he can do the next one. I would never put my life at risk with such a surgeon but many like to take the risk to save a buck. I guess they don't value their life. There is more than one doctor in Mexico, find someone who will not treat you like a pig at the slaughter house. Of course these Mexico doctors have their fair share of good outcomes but when it goes bad these budget doctors are no where to be found when you need help. Your life is at stake with a tired, overworked greedy surgeon. A doctor that performs 10 surgeries day after day is not doing so because he cares about your health but that he is a greedy pig and will do as many as he can a day to line his pockets with cash. There is no recourse for you if he screws up. I would not gamble with my life with a guy like this but people still flock to this guy, people think he is great even when they hear the bad outcomes. I guess if you just close your eyes and cross your fingers maybe you won't be one of the unlucky ones.

28. Said thanks: