Surgeon
    Adolfo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    03-26-2016 02:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 38 Times
    Blog Entries

Question Has anyone else experienced this or something like it? I'm very concerned.

Let me start this off by saying that even if this whole issue is in fact due to my sleeve it has still been so very worth it.

Starting in late January I have been having bouts of severe pain in (middle of my back just underneath where my bra connects and radiating into my ribs and around through my sides) accompanied with diarhhea and vomiting. It has happened at least once a week for almost 3 months now and I have missed quite a bit of work and paid a pretty penny to the doctor's offices.

The episodes of pain have almost always occured in the evening and tend to last 2-5 hours in which I can't do anything but curl up in a ball between running to the bathroom. The first time it happened I thought it was a kidney stone because the pain was so intense it reminded me of the one I had a few years back. I have been seen by ER doctors seven times because the pain gets so bad that I can't breathe and have to get shots of morphine, tordal and/or valium to make it tolerable. The doctors have ruled out it being my kidneys, liver or gallbladder. They first thought it was my back so I had an MRI done that found two herniated discs in my upper back but they believe it is a coincidence as the location doesn't make sense in regards to where my pain is located.

My primary care and surgeon think it may be related to my sleeve and I'm going in to have a flouroscopy on Friday. They think that I may have scar tissue that is getting irritated or something of that nature. I am almost scared to eat because the pain usually happens at night after dinner. I think that I found at least one thing that sets it off - berries with seeds - as two of my most intense and long lasting episodes happened after eating strawberries on Easter and blackberries yesterday.

I have gone back to eating liquids and soft foods as this didn't start until I added in crunchy things like carrots and oven baked sweet potato chips. I eat less that 4 ounces at a time and space my meals apart by at least 3 hours so I don't accidentaly overfill myself. I chew, chew, chew and eat super slow. I feel I have to be overly cautious because I may end up incapacitated for a couple hours if I do something wrong.

I have no idea what to do and it is still a mystery as to what exactly sets it off and even what the issue is.

Are there any foods that upset your tiny tummies or have any of you experienced anything like this???

Any feedback or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Highest Weight: 315 January 2013
    First Consult: 289 May 2014
    Surgeon's Pre-Op Start: 275 September 8th 2014
    Surgery Date: 269 September 23rd 2014

1 Month: 248
    3 Months: 234
    6 Months: 217 April 2015 Broke the long lasting stall and lost almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Angiedean's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Has anyone else experienced this or something like it? I'm very concerned.

Have your been checked for Crohn's disease or colitis? I had a friend who had similar symptoms and it took over a year for her to get the correct diagnosis even after two visits to the Mayo Clinic. She is good now, but as I said it took a year to finally get it correctly diagnosed. She finally had to go to the Cleveland Clinic and is doing great. Hopefully, you will get some relief soon. I just wanted to put that out there in case that hasn't been looked into.

Gastric Sleeve Member kitticat27's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Catherine
    Surgery date
    09/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Adolfo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Has anyone else experienced this or something like it? I'm very concerned.

I hadn't but I will now! Thank you, I will mention it at my next visit. I'm glad to hear your friend is doing well now.

6 Months: 217 April 2015 Broke the long lasting stall and lost almost 10 pounds in 2 weeks!

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

Bread more than once every other day will do this to me. It is miserable. Hope you get some answers!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

It sounds like it could be Diverticulitis, seeds and nuts can set it off. Talk to you dr about it and demand a colonoscpy.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Catherine
    Surgery date
    09/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Adolfo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I've completely cut out bread because it seemed to happen if I had bread that day or the day before. It has gotten less frequent but still happens. Thank you for validating my concern there.

Name
    Catherine
    Surgery date
    09/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Adolfo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I had heard diverticulitis before, I have a couple family members that have that issue. I will definitely have a list of things for when I see my primary care. I had my flouroscopy yesterday and they didn't see any blockages or a stricture. The mystery continues!

Surgery date
    04/01/2015
    Surgeon
    A. Gridley
    Last Activity
    03-29-2017 04:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 59 Times
    Was Thanked 17 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 70 Times

It took two years for my doctor to find out I had to have my gallbladder removed. None of my pain pointed to my gallbladder. Had pain on right side going to my back then radiating up and across. Wasn't even losing weight with all the vomiting I was doing. Could be talking to you and pass out. Finally found stones with an ultrasound and when went to remove gallbladder was grangreious(?spelling). This happened back in the 80's.