12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

Default Re: Had the RNY and refuse to leave~ You all may call me THE BLACK SLEEVE...:)

Congratulations! I think that we are all on a similar journey, regardless of the particular procedure.

The thing that scares me the most with the sleeve is long term acid problems. It isn't talked about much, but there are studies that show people having increasing problems over time (like 3 years out).

My doc insists that I take lots of vitamins, even with the sleeve. I know he is being conservative since I am eating so little it is hard to get all my nutrients, but for me that is the worst thing about this- all these pills!

Because I was a band to sleeve revision, and the doc was being extra careful I had TWO DRAINS! Removing those was pretty painful!

Anyway, no matter what procedure you chose - there are plusses and minuses. I am very happy so far with the sleeve, but only time will tell....
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Blessed2014's Avatar
    Last Activity
    03-29-2014 05:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Had the RNY and refuse to leave~ You all may call me THE BLACK SLEEVE...:)

Your Dr is exactly right n I was not told about the acid issue getting worse after sleeve! So ur Dr has some knowledge cause I am goin thru that now! N another Baroatric surgeon suggests the RNY too help me eat! But I am terrified with another after what I been through with the sleeve n acid problems n eating! Eventually gotta do something or he said I would be malnourished! So praying n researching! Wish u luck n great recovery ! God Bless!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/17/1999
    Last Activity
    11-05-2014 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi All,

I strongly favor the sleeve over the gastric bypass. I already had medical problems and felt ill a good deal of the time, so I definitely did not want to deal with the dumping syndrome. Also, I knew the gastric bypass had a large failure rate. Actually, I don't know what the failure rate for the sleeve was at that time, because almost no one was doing the sleeve on its own at that time.

I would have had the sleeve alone if it had been option for me, and then gone ahead with the second part of the "duodenal switch" procedure if the sleeve wasn't effective enough on its own. But, my insurance wouldn't cover two operations so I went with the "duodenal switch".

It was effective and the only issue is smelly BMs. Personally, I have trouble with taking all my supplements, but that is not the fault of the surgery. It is my fault.

I still prefer the sleeve because it maintains the normal flow of the contents of the GI tract. With the normal valve and normal hormonal effects of food passing through, there is no dumping syndrome, which was a really big issue for me.

I am now about 15 years out from the duodenal switch and I weigh 140, down from a maximum of 290. I have recently gained 10 pounds. I had been down to a size six, which was pretty amazing for me. I am considering having the duodenal switch portion of the procedure partially reversed. It seems to me that if I made even a minimal effort to keep my weight down, I could likely do it without all the malabsorption. I say only a partial reversal because I don't want to suddenly balloon up because I am used to eating twice the calories that I need.