Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member Fat in KC's Avatar
    Last Activity
    05-28-2015 01:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Default What if your primary dr does not support you

If having the surgery in mexico ? I am sure I will need follow up care right ? Will other weight loss centers do follow up care and if you have done this what is the cost ? I am full of questions

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Default Re: What if your primary dr does not support you

Hi
    I had mine in Mexico. I took my stitches out myself. I didn't see my doctor until a week ago for an infection in my thumb after I fell. You can stay in touch with your coordinator for advice but unless you have complications you won't need follow up care,

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I wouldn't worry about it. I took my own stitches out also. I will say this. I know you are full of questions and doubts. If you are the type of person who goes to the doctor with every sniffle and headache, then going the Mexico route is really not for you. The folks who go to Mexico are generally not that interested in constant after care by a physician. In fact, most of us who went to Mexico couldn't have cared less whether our PCP approved of our decision or not. His/Her opinion is about 156th on a list of the top 10 things I cared about.

I know there are lots and lots of folks who are fully invested in a close relationship with their PCP. That's fine for them. Those folks generally are not going to want to go to Mexico. Unless you have a serious complication, then there is no follow up care, or need for follow up care. The fact that there isn't much after care for Mexico patients is, in my opinion, a major factor in our success. We have to learn early on that we are 100% in charge of our success or failure. For most who had their surgery in the US, after care consists of doctors and NUTs trying to fit your square butt into a round hole. They have a nutritional plan they are invested in and they will hammer on you until you either comply, fit into the plan, or quit. If you are being led around by the nose by a PCP or worst yet, a NUT, then you'll never have the tools you need to make adjustments to your nutritional plan. Those adjustments are constant and if ignored, will lead to stalls. Those stalls eventually lead to a general lack of enthusiasm because you think the sleeve has failed. The sleeve didn't fail, can't fail, and won't fail.

However, your after care can fail you.

So, again, in my opinion, you need to ask yourself just how important is your PCP's "acceptance"? If it's hugely important, then you need to look to the options available to you stateside. You'll drive yourself crazy with doubts if you go to Mexico.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandy
    Surgery date
    03/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-26-2019 05:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

I personally did tell my PCP and was scared to death of what she might say. She was not thrilled about the Mexico thing but she completely supports me and is taking excellent care of me. She did take out my stitches and I was so happy because she had a hard time getting them out because they were so tight she had to keep lifting them and getting under them, I never could have done it myself. Keep in mind tons of people take them out themselves and have no issues at all.
    I also had a fever for about a week when I returned and had to see her. I was freaking out that I might have had a leak but it was just a chest lung thing Thank God.
    I also went to Dr. Almanza and I bet if you called today you would be in no later than 2 weeks from now if not sooner. You can read my blog and it will maybe answer some of your questions. I know how scary this is believe me and I went alone but here I am and I am doing really well. I just think personally it's always a good idea to tell your PCP and with any luck they will stand behind you. If something goes wrong when you get back it would be really helpful to have a Dr. that will have your back. Good Luck with your decision!

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alexander Barkan
    Last Activity
    05-01-2017 05:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 146 Times in 140 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,740 Times
    Blog Entries

Just to insert some 'personal thoughts on the topic' There are quite a few gastric surgeons in the states (New York being one of them) who will follow up with you if you provide clear documentation on what the surgeon in Mexico did. I'm also going to throw out that all I've heard are great things about the surgeries in Mexico so your chances of having any 'problems' (God willing) will be small. With that said - go to some bariatric support groups and become familiar with the surgeons and their practices - you will find out very easily if they will pick you up.
    I wish you good luck

Every journey begins with one small step....

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Green rider's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-19-2018 04:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 236 Times

I told my PCP a week b4 I left for TJ to have Dr. Almanza do the surgery. She was very supportive after hearing the research I did ahead of time. She took my stitches out, not because I couldn't do it myself, but because she wanted to hear all about it. Looked my x-ray over and said it all looked very good. I have had zero complications and needed no followup. If you have a Doctor that can't understand why you would go to MX I think I would find a new one. Just my opinion.

Gastric Sleeve Member Jmichelle's Avatar
    Name
    Jmichelle
    Surgery date
    03/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 06:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 163 Times
    Was Thanked 148 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

My pcp was more than supportive with establishing a follow up plan post surgery in MX. He isn't very familiar with VSG, but let me know that he would do a little research before my next visit. He removed my stitches, and did a full blood panel to establish a baseline. I'll have another blood panel work up in June to see where I fall and how we should proceed with supplements. Hopefully your pcp will be more than willing to follow up with some basic care like blood work, because that will be all you really need barring any complications.

Gastric Sleeve Member Texas Rose's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-06-2016 10:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I have had 2 of my Doctors get Dr. Almanza's info on him to get Surgery. They were impressed with the care and low cost. They have obese patients that can't afford what the Dr. Charge here. They are sending patients to hin.

Gastric Sleeve Member denise.jordan39's Avatar
    Name
    Denise
    Surgery date
    03/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Gary Grinberg
    Last Activity
    11-02-2015 10:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

I will say I think it's great that you all had the courage and determination to go to Mexico for this surgery. The one thing I believe is you should follow up yearly on blood work that monitors your vitamin levels. The reason I say this is I have a niece that had surgery 17 years ago, in Texas. She was only 18, extremely overweight +500 lbs. She didn't really get nutrition advice or any follow up. She has recently been hospitalized twice because of severe anemia and red blood cells so low it almost killed her. This didn't happen over night, but obviously over time, she just wasn't getting proper nutrition. So, mentioning the surgery to your PCP,and requesting the yearly blood work just makes practical sense to me.
    BTW Tinman, I agree with you on the NUTS, they ARE (nuts). You have to use your own common sense. I actually got scolded for wrapping some chicken salad in a lettuce leaf (I'm a year out, 8 lbs from goal). I think I'm doing pretty good.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/14/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ortiz
    Last Activity
    04-09-2015 09:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I haven't told my pcp yet.... I've only been seeing her for a few months and she's been working hard to get me all sorted out so, I'm a little scared to tell her! I am having it done regardless, and it would be great if she was on board but it's scary (I don't want anyone to try to stop me! lol)