Surgeon
    Dr. Stefan Pettine
    Last Activity
    04-26-2017 01:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Surgery date just around the corner and i'm beginning to lose sleep about it

Hi. My name is Kat and I live in Colorado. I am so glad I found this website. I have diabetes (though i've gotten my A1C to 6.8 from 11.4), HBP since my 20s (i'm 56) insomnia since my 20s, PTSD, high cholesterol, depression, anxiety and on and on. My surgery is scheduled for April 13, 2015 and i'm beginning to have panic attacks, nausea, insomnia and dizziness (though i'm drinking probably 48-60 oz a day). I've had many abdominal surgeries due to a dysfunctional large intestine - so my surgeon helped me decide to do the gastric sleeve. I'm not afraid of the surgery as far as the pain and discomfort go. I've always been up and walking the day of. I know what my body has to go through to heal and function normally again and so I expect it to take some time. I had a adhesion removal surgery last July 2014 on my intestines and the surgeon told me it was pretty bad and that he wouldn't mind me being on a full liquid soft food diet for a year~! my other doctors thought that was crazy. However, I did it for 5 months. I basically had about 10 things I chose to eat and had no problem making the change...so i'm not afraid of that. I ended up in the hospital in December 2014 with sepsis and finally pneumonia. I realized that I was watching my carbs but not my protein. I was eating very little protein and I think that's why I got sepsis. So I've changed my diet to include starting my day off with a great protein shake and I eat mini meals with little carbs. I've actually lost weight since I've changed my diet. I'm currently 5'3" and 243 lbs. and 56. My mind is going crazy back and forth trying to figure out what has me so afraid. I had to make a life changing decision when I had the intestinal surgery and it turned out to be the best thing. I just havent found a lot of posts addressing the fear factor and the ultimate relief. I'm also concerned about the amount of exercising I will have to do to be successful. i've bought every piece of gym equipment over the years and i always stop. I'm going to start reading this forum and hopefully will find enough support that come surgery day I will be calm. I just want to say thank you to all of you who have taken this journey and are willing to offer support and encouragement.

Kat

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Nancy
    Surgery date
    04/17/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-22-2017 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 152 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Surgery date just around the corner and i'm beginning to lose sleep about it

Kat, welcome to the community. You sound like many of us pre-sleevers with fear of the unknown. Keep reading blogs and forums as you will find inspiration, motivation, support and even a dose of reality when needed. I love it here and it is helping me prepare.
    [
    HW 256 March 2015
    Pre-Op Diet -16
    SW 240 April 17 2015
    1st Wk Post op -7 (233)
    2nd Wk Post op -6 (227)
    3rd Wk Post op -2 (225)

URL="http://www.gastricsleeve.com/surgery-date-ticker/"]
    [/URL]

Name
    Carol
    Surgery date
    05/18/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Dunkle-Blatter
    Last Activity
    05-26-2018 09:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 217 Times

Default Re: Surgery date just around the corner and i'm beginning to lose sleep about it

I know this sounds very simplistic but try to take one day at time & one thing at time. Keep coming back to the forum for encouragement & learning.

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/03/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Myers
    Last Activity
    09-24-2015 08:59 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I'm feeling nervous too. My surgery is April 3rd. It's nice to know I'm not alone!

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    04/13/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stefan Pettine
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you very much Nancy. Your reply is the first i've read and I can't tell you how uplifting it made me feel. =)

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    04/13/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stefan Pettine
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Katie, Best of luck to you in this journey. I will keep you in my thoughts on the 3rd. Thank you for reaching out!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Anthony
    Surgery date
    02/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    08-13-2015 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey Kat dont worry about a thing, there are thousands of us who went through this and mostly all of us did this to feel better, live longer and be overall healthier by getting off of meds that just maintained us all the while our weight either stayed idly obese or continually gained. Before surgery the weight and BMI index was still dibilitating to us and our life styles. I am 3 and 1/2 weeks out now and life along with the surgery gets better everyday. I myself had sleep apnea, diabetes , high blood pressure, cholesterol, and swollen ankels at 270 lbs my max ever. Now I am down 35lbs and feel 1000 times better and best of all my surgeon said stop all meds and cpap machine cause your vitals are constantly improving every day after surgery as the weight drops off! This makes our life style transition be a positive one because the sleeve is our tool although we have to maintain it and you will always find support here because all of these members are awesome! We have each others back and feel free to ask any question you want cause they helped me and words cant describe how appreciative I feel.

Gastric Sleeve Member warkat256's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Debru
    Last Activity
    05-06-2015 09:42 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Hi Kat,
    Wow you have been through a lot what a trooper. I just had mine done on March 12 so it is new to me.Starting 2nd week now. Its been ok, rough day today, tried food a bit too early and it got stuck, ouchhhhh, but it finally passed otherwise I have had no real problems. Other than discomfort it has not been too bad at all.
    You have a lot of changes and your body going on already, I think you just need to relax a bit more and not dwell on your surgery coming up. You have made the decision, now just prepare for it and let the time before be more about everything else in your life. Don't let the anxiety ruin your time before and stress you out its not worth it.
    All the best and take it easy.
    Kathie

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hien T. Nguyen
    Last Activity
    02-28-2017 06:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Kat,
    Similar to you, I've had issues with high cholesterol, diabetes, sleep apnea, osteoarthritis, depression, anxiety, skin Lupus & SLE. I am fed up with all the meds and excess weight. I even had an orthopedic surgeon tell me he wouldn't fix my knee problem until I lost 100 lbs! So now I limp around, attend physical therapy and leave the house as little as possible. It's time for a change! I decided at 325 lbs to speak with the Bariatric team @ Johns Hopkins. Then started the 6 month program and lost 15 lbs. Now I'm waiting on approval from my insurance company. But I am sooooo TERRIFIED! My hubby and I love food!! We love traveling & discovering new places & things to eat. What will happen to our relationship after my surgery and I can't eat??? Not to mention all of the horror stories you read about that happened to other bariatric patients. I know so many have done wonderfully...but I'm a worrier by nature and keep second guessing my decision.

I'm glad you made it through those difficult times, and I'm feeling positive for you. I hope you will find comfort and reassurance in these forums!!

Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    04/13/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stefan Pettine
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

Thank you sooooo much for sharing your experience. My little window of hope just got bigger. it is awesome that you are off those meds and have already dropped 35 lbs. i am concerned about the meds because i can't imagine how long it will take to swallow them and figure out how much liquid etc. I take a lot.

what are you eating at this phase? are you exercising yet? i'm not fond of exercise.

Name
    Kat
    Surgery date
    04/13/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Stefan Pettine
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Blog Entries

thank you so much. sage advice. I appreciate you sharing your experience. do you mind saying what you are eating and if you have noticed any taste bud changes?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Anthony
    Surgery date
    02/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Ok I will update you. Immediately in most cases I was told by my surgeon right after surgery to stop all meds permanetly cause after the surgery and within the first two weeks your vitals improve big time. I also stopped my cpap machine for sleep apnea because now I sleep refreshed and my wifes says my snoring is reduced to very light to less frequent also told to do so by Surgeon. Now I am at 3 and 1/2 weeks out and this is how it went up to this point. 1st three weeks clear fluids and protein shakes every day along with your vitamins which you will have to take the rest of your life either chewable, gummy or dissolvable in mouth which are multivitamins a seperate vitamin b12 and chewable caltrate + D chewable. Follow your surgeons instructions or in my case they gave me a take home manual telling me how, when, and how much to do of daily fluids and protein shake intake. I just saw my surgeon last Friday for my first post-op visit and he said from last Friday to this Friday stop shakes and go to puree consistancy of any food I like, example mashed potatoes or applesauce and yogurts things of that nature which I am doing this week and I can get in 4 tablespoons to about 4 oz of anything cause you will feel full fast. Thats your signal to stop bear in mind no drinking 30 mins before or after eating. Eat slowly also. Now when I reach this Friday I have the go ahead to eat regular foods high in nutrients low on carbs sugars and fats. Now I myself has asked veteran sleevers if it gets easier and after your stomach heals after stapling it does get stronger again and stretches slightly to allow for more food intake as time goes on but do not over do it or force yourself to eat anymore than you ever have to so just stop when your sleeve tells you. Make healthier choices 95% of the time and cheat once in a blue moon and I am sure we all have and maybe will do it but bear in mind not to ever overstretch your new tool as we all refer to it here. Lastly exercise is important and what I mean at least walk around your neighborhood a couple times weekly or some kind of walking even daily. After your recovery the Doctors and nurses will make you walk as many laps as you can handle around nurses station for every day you stay there. Its for preventing blood clots and expelling extra gas from surgery and reducing the iv fluids which swell you up a bit. Now I myself have been lazy for the past 15 years as I gained weight but since this surgery I was inspired to join a local gym not cause any one told me to it was just because I WANT TO and since I had clearence to do so from Doc last Friday I am joining tomorrow! I want to get my life back cause I was sick and tired of being sick and tired! I am 42 years old and didnt want to end up like my father dead at 69 for being overweight and diabetic. I am doing this for myself and my children and hopefully my chidrens children. Good luck on your journey and I am hete for your support as all of the other members! Ever stumped with a question just ask! Latsly I would like to friend you on here. Chat again soon.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Anthony
    Surgery date
    02/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shady Macaron
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Ohh and sorry there has been no taste bud changes for me and everything is the same as it was so far but still have not tried carbs yet but meats ground up or chewed real well before swalloing is the same and so is dairy products and starches. I read in some rare occasions people saying things they used to like they dont care for anymore and learned to like other things.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Morales
    Last Activity
    12-29-2016 08:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Welcome and be encouraged you'll be fine and you'll do fine.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member trimslimnow's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Fredrick Tiesenga
    Last Activity
    05-19-2015 03:14 AM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

Don't worry you will and do fine.worry about nothing pray about everything��������

23. Said thanks: