Surgeon
    Dr. Gregg Jossart
    Last Activity
    05-13-2015 09:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Question In the debating phase...

Hi all...I'm new here and have appreciated the forum. A little about me...Ive been overweight my entire adolescent and adult life. I currently weight 325 at 6'1" and age 52. I have never seriously considered gastric surgery as Ive always been a "get down to work and take care of it without surgery" kind of guy. And I have....again and again and again. Ive successfully lost anywhere from 80 to 150 pounds in the past 20 years on various diets...only to end up here again. My general practitioner recommended surgery at my last physical and I agreed to consult with the surgeon.

Since then...I have been doing a huge amount of research...had the required psychological exam (she said I am an ideal candidate) and am waiting for my consultation with the surgeon and nutritionist.

A lot is going through my head...the fear of the surgery (I made the mistake of watching a Youtube video of the procedure)...thinking strongly about the lifestyle changes and the inability to have a slip or special meal or trip off of a program (I know, that's the point, right?)...and thinking about doing this at 52 versus the younger folks who do this...and the fear of excess skin. Just a lot of random thoughts I am weighing.

I am honestly leaning toward the surgery...but having a lot of thinking about it. It seems extreme to physically change your body forever...though I know I am at an extreme place. At any rate...thats a lot of random stuff that is flying through my head. Any advice would be most welcomed!

HW 381
    SW 338

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Lautz
    Last Activity
    05-13-2016 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times

Default Re: In the debating phase...

Hi Gary,
    I am 50 years old and male and I had the sleeve last October. 52 is not old for this surgery; my surgeon performs them on people up to age 70. I weighed about 280 lbs, but I am shorter than you at 5' 8" tall. I was less successful at dieting, only losing about 30 lbs at a time, then regaining it all back and 20 lbs more each time. I decided on the sleeve because not only was I morbidly obese, but I had high blood pressure and psoriatic arthritis that was made much worse by my obesity. I knew I would not lose the weight and keep it off with dieting and exercise.

The fears and anxiety are normal, and I had them right up to the day of surgery. While waiting for the surgeon in the hospital, I kept hoping he would come back and tell me he couldn't do the surgery. Of course that didn't happen, and now I am glad I went through with it. I experienced very little pain, and I never used the oxycodone prescription they gave me when I left the hospital. I had some difficulty with digesting even liquid food like broth or sugar free jello, so they kept me in the hospital for several days. Within three days, they took me off my blood pressure meds, and my blood pressure has remained in the normal range ever since. My arthritis is much better, even if it has not completely disappeared. The first month was hard as I got used to my new stomach and its limitations/restrictions. After five months, I have lost 50 lbs, in addition to the 28 lbs I lost before surgery following a lo-carb diet and the pre-op diet, so I am now under 200 lbs for the first time in 20 years.

As far as missing out on food is concerned, I don't find that to be the case. I can have anything I want, albeit in much smaller portions. I occasionally have a few bites of dessert, on holidays, or if I go out to eat, and I feel no need to eat more. I am satisfied with what I eat and I am no longer a slave to my appetite. I enjoy food more, actually, since I don't have the insatiable appetite I had before. If I try to eat more than my sleeve allows, it lets me know quickly that that is a bad idea: first I start hiccuping or burping, then if I keep eating, I have pain in my esophagus/chest, and the food comes back up, or I feel lousy for an hour. You learn that there are some bad consequences if you overeat. There have been major changes in what I eat. I don't enjoy eating fatty foods as much, not because they taste different, but because my stomach will not tolerate high levels of fat: it makes me feel lousy, which ruins the experience. But I can still eat cheese and an occasional pat of butter with a meal. I find I can only fit so much into my stomach now, and so it forces me to make choices about what I put into it. I am happy now with what I eat and with how much I eat: it does not feel like sacrificing or depriving myself.

My best wishes as you make this decision.

First surgical consult, 7/28: 276
    Start of pre-op diet, 10/6: 256
    Day of Surgery, 10/20: 248
    1 month post-op: 227
    7 weeks post-op: 219
    11 weeks post-op: 209

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I had the surgery 7 months ago when I was 68. I'm 8 pounds from goal right now. And this year I'll be 70 years old.

A year ago I was agoraphobic, barely mobile, professionally and socially embarrassed, the most basic aspects of personal grooming (standing in the shower long enough to wash my hair) were nearly beyond my physical ability. I was a mess!

I'm now wearing size 10 clothes, am lighter than I've been in 35 years, definitely got my hawt senior sexy back, am the toast of the town (metaphorically speaking), with a husband who has always adored me but is now no longer worried about me or about our life together and what we can manage in terms of retirement, travel, living locations, etc. We both got our future back because I got my health and self-confidence back.

Oh, and nobody's smarter than me. That silly unhumble brag is just to demonstrate that all of us, although bright in other ways, are stupid in this one area of our lives. We couldn't outsmart this monkey on our backs. But we can make a rational decision about how to stop beating our heads against the wall over and over and, instead, just solve it.

That's my story. Good luck to you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregg Jossart
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

Thank you so much. There is a great deal of information to sort through and I am trying to make an informed decision...hearing stories of those who have walked this path is very helpful. I very much appreciate it.

HW 381
    SW 338

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Ann is a great girl. But question of she smarter than anyone here, we are all smart folks.

Love Ya Ann :-) I'm just storing shit

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Wetter
    Last Activity
    09-01-2017 04:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

We All had the fear of surgery. I would think its normal. Its more then having tonsils removed. But like some here have said, me included, I should of done this sooner.
    Our Stats were some what similar to start our journeys, I rwally dont have a problem with excess skin that I need surgery.
    But do have arms like an old man that still needs to lift weights.
    BOL

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/18/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Trace Curry
    Last Activity
    01-28-2016 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

I too had a lot of hesitation about surgery. I am 58 and have yo yo dieted since early adulthood. Money spent on all the programs and products. I felt this was my "last resort" I have no major health issues, so that made the decision for sleeve even harder. Decided to go through with the surgery in Dec 2014 so I am just approaching 3 months I have lost 42# and already feel better. I feel I still have a long way to go but it is a start and a true lifestyle change. I do not regret having the surgery . I do understand that if you would lose greater then 50% of your body weight that insurance may cover plastic surgery. That may be something to look into before surgery. All insurances are different. Best of luck to you. Tag me as a friend if you would like to follow my journey. I am not on the site a lot now but I also found it helpful before surgery and the support here is nice.

13. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Fedorak
    Last Activity
    01-02-2016 11:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I am scheduled the 2nd of April. What is motivating me is the quality of life and the extension of life. With my risk factors I do not belief I will be around for another 10 years. And the way I feel today, those 10 years would be miserable. It is time for this change.

Gastric Sleeve Member goestogym's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sasse
    Last Activity
    03-30-2024 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 92 Times
    Was Thanked 116 Times in 88 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 246 Times
    Blog Entries

It was easier than having my tonsils removed and I was 59 at the time! Not that it didn't bring with it major changes( like cured diabetes, eased arthritis,and made me a much more self-confident and happy person) I was a "bootstraps" kind of gal (I can do it myself with the next fad diet) The surgery was the end to the madness of the next craze diet and the beginning of normal blood work, and normal weight. There will always be the temptation of eating the wrong things. The sleeve is referred to as a "tool" The tool can be compared to using a shovel or a backhoe.

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Andrew Bright
    Last Activity
    12-29-2015 02:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

DO IT !! <3 It is a lifestyle change, I am 45 and had my sleeve in November. I went thru all the emotions - elation -sadness - whining, anger. It really is like a death of a friend. people that have used food as a pacifier, like me, was very hard first couple months. Now i am back to eating fairly normal stuff, but less of it.

You have nothing to lose - but the weight. I am beginning to feel so much better. Getting around alot better. I am even thinking about buying a mountain bike ( oh i used to love biking ) I am 70 lbs down. I would like to lose another 50-70. Dont keep putting it off though. Dont waste another day, if you do - you will be asking yourself WHAT IF ? SHOULD I HAVE ? The answer should be YES.
    Honk if you want to see my finger !!

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

That is very intelligent of you to do all of that research; this way you can make the best informed decision for yourself.

I was 50 years old when I had the procedure performed last year. I was morbidly obese and had comorbidities due to that.
    Speaking only for myself, I haven't regretted the decision, only that I didn't have this performed sooner.

There are some minor changes to your lifestyle post surgery, but they are just that, minor as compared to all that you will gain.

Yes the surgery is permanent and there are always a small risk of medical problems during or after, but the obesity is a much more ominous threat to your health in the long term.

Maybe go to a medical weight loss seminar and a support group meeting there (or two) at a local hospital to listen to others first hand discuss their experiences; hopefully that will help you in making your decision.

Congratulations and good luck.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I was 47 when I did it and only regret that I didn't do it sooner. Really the only thing I had to give up, (other than 95 pounds, asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol and almost diabetes and all the meds that go along with those things), was over eating. I find I can eat pretty much what I like now just in much smaller quantities and maintain my weight loss. May my 50's be more healthy and active than my 40's! Do your research. It's NO cake walk, but for this chick, more than worth it!

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregg Jossart
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

Thanks all for the info. Ive done a lot of thinking -- while I am concerned about the surgery itself, I know it is a good step for me. Trying to be real about the post op eating as well. Ive been pretty successful on restrictive diets for up to a year...so hope I will be able to do this well. I don't drink a lot, but a little bummed about not being able to have a couple of drinks now and then with friends. The other thing I have to get my head around is dropping soda -- Im a huge diet coke addict All worth the cost, but want to be mentally prepared...

HW 381
    SW 338

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm nearly 7 months out and haven't had "a couple of drinks with friends" yet, but I have had single (4 ounce) glasses of wine. And haven't died yet.

Seriously, I'm doing great. BTW, I'm on the down low re having had WLS, and eating out these days with clients and family who have NO IDEA I had WLS.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregg Jossart
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

This board is great. Ive been giving this so much thought -- imagining living eating the new way...weighing potential complications...It sounds like you have to be set to have a couple of rough months as you recover from surgery, go through the phases of eating postop, and learn the new way of living/eating but seems like after that point people are happy that they did it. I have my consultation with physician and NUT in 2 weeks, already had psych eval (she thought I was a perfect candidate) but the extreme reactions when I talk to friends/family about it still come...which I get, I never considered this before because I had that very same reaction. Do you ever get where you drink water regularly or are you always doing the tiny sips evermore? I drink a lot of fluids and can imagine being dehydrated, but mostly it sounds like the hard part is the 1st month postop? How long were you guys out of work? Id like to not be out more than a week or two - I can sit at work but sounds like you still get pretty worn out by the end of the day? Thanks for the good advice,,it really helps!

HW 381
    SW 338