Surgeon
    Dr. David Lautz
    Last Activity
    05-13-2016 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times

Default Re: In the debating phase...

The first month is rough, but it gets a lot easier after that, especially as you learn to listen to your new stomach. I am now five months post-op and drink water regularly, not in little sips, but not in big gulps either. I don't drink with meals or for 30-45 minutes afterwards. I was only out of work for a week and a day (a total of six days out of work), but I had practically no pain after the first two days. The first week back at work was quite tiring, but I sit much of the day.

First surgical consult, 7/28: 276
    Start of pre-op diet, 10/6: 256
    Day of Surgery, 10/20: 248
    1 month post-op: 227
    7 weeks post-op: 219
    11 weeks post-op: 209

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregg Jossart
    Last Activity
    05-13-2015 09:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

So I found a manual online from Drs office with surgery info and have to admit its making me rethink whether this is the right thing to do....the extreme restrictions, the dangers if you don't follow it religiously, the challenge of doing this as a vegetarian (which I have been for 25 years and not planning to change), then is said you could be out of work a month (cant really do that)...kinda freaking out about the whole thing and having a "just diet and work out" moment. the only thing pulling me is reading all of the stories here about people who only regret not having done this sooner. my mind is a swirl. kind of like - in the "really, change my body forever" moment...anyone had this moment in their journey? anyone regret this afterwards?

HW 381
    SW 338

Surgery date
    12/18/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Trace Curry
    Last Activity
    01-28-2016 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times
    Blog Entries

I also had a lot of doubts. I am a surgical nurse so greater then most I have seen this surgery done time and time again. I Good luck and only you can make this decision, but once you make it do not look back and commit to it. You will succeed!

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

I learned a long, long time ago, if others can do something and be successful, if I get my head on straight I can do. So can you.

Medical rules require they disclose every bad thing that could possibly happen so they do not get sued because they did not disclose every possible contingent. You know, the lights in the operating room could suddenly fall from the ceiling and kill you? Has it ever happened? No, but it MIGHT, so if they do not disclose, they could get sued. There MIGHT be a Mexican cartel come screaming into the hospital and shot everyone, its has not happened but it MIGHT, so they gotta disclose it.

I was asking doc about working out after surgery, he was mega hesitant, telling me 3 months, etc. I had been reading here, so I ask him "tell me what is real, I know you have to tell me all the negative possibilities and do the mega disclosure of BS, but I want your opinion". His answer, "you will be fine in a week or so". And you know, I was fine in a week.

Yes, you will have big time restrictions on how much you can eat. Not having that led you to have a fat ass, health complications, massive negative self image, etc. I do not mean that to be mean, I am not a mean person, but let's get real, this eating thing has become a disease for BOTH of us. And us includes me. This disease, if left untreated, will kill us early. So is the journey worth it? Is not leaving your family early worth it? Is your life worth it?

If you had cancer would you take treatment? The results of treatment from cancer is far, far worse than the the treatment of morbid obesity. Do you know why they will only do this surgery on MORBID obese people? Think about that. MORBIDITY, look up and understand that word, it means as deadly as cancer.

Again, I am not a mean spirited person, but I find brutal honesty without being a brutal person is often needed to communicate about important and personal information. You have seen here hundreds (if not thousands) who found the restrictions not to eat pretty useful. Yes, the first 2 weeks post op suck, yes, you will learn to live different, your relationship with food will change. Yes, you will need to take vitamins every day for the rest of your life. Yes, you will have to find a protein shake you like, yes, you might need a vitamin B shot monthly. So what. None of that compares to the effects of chemo or radiation, and a cancer patient has to take BOTH.

While we get together here and encourage each other, are positive with each other, offer positive reinforcement, let us not forget they call it MORBID obese for a reason.

Your worth it, your family is worth it, your life is worth it. If the rest of us can do this, you can to.

Or you can die much sooner. It really is a choice. I truly wish you well and hope you choose the path that leads to health, and a wonderful life.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregg Jossart
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

Thank you for the information and perspective. I really appreciate your words.

HW 381
    SW 338

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/28/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Gregg Jossart
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times

Thank you. While I agree that every eventuality won't occur - it is equally foolish not to research and weigh them out before making a decision to permanently alter my body. Having said that, I am strongly leaning toward having the surgery and appreciate your taking the time to write - though I can assure you I will review and measure the risks associated with surgery vs obesity (not falling lights or cartels) to make an informed decision. I know I can do this - but it's not a decision I take lightly.

HW 381
    SW 338