Thread: Insurance????

Last Activity
    03-14-2015 01:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Red face Insurance????

Hi Everyone,

I am new to this site and have had a look to see if there are any insurance threads... couldn't find any so I am sorry if they are somewhere and I am putting up a repeat thread please let me know if I am.

I have a gastric band and I am looking to go to a sleeve, however I let my insurance go a few years back.

Can you please tell me who your insurance is with and which cover is the appropriate one?

Thankyou

Doreen

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr James Chau
    Last Activity
    07-21-2015 02:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 587 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Insurance????

While I was in hospital after my op I met a woman who was with Navy health Insurance. She said that she only had to pay $500 excess. Worth wile looking into. I had never heard of them but sounds like a good deal to me.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

All insurances are different. I have Blue Cross/Blue Shield but my school district added "No bariatrics" to our coverage. So it's basically whatever your employer wants to pay for. Not only would mine not cover bariatric surgery, they would not cover any complication related to bariatric surgery, so if for some reason I ended up back in the hospital, I would have had to pay 100%.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Martin
    Last Activity
    03-02-2020 07:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 40 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

Hello Doreen, I Have Bupa and I have to pay out of pocket close to 7000. I have many friends that had the sleeve done and also paid over $5000. I dont know of any insurance that pays everything. Do some research and hopefully you can find something thats right for you. Dont forget most insurances give you a year waiting period before they cover anything. Good luck.
    Pre-Op:123 kg/270 lb
    Total weight loss so far: 39 kg/85 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Deb26
    Surgeon
    Mr Stephen Clifforth
    Last Activity
    04-11-2017 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Shannon,

I've been trying to locate folks in Australia who are either considering or are getting some form of bariatric surgery to asssit them in their weight loss journey. After moving to regional Victoria and having been overweight most of my adult life I thought I really should consider some type of medical intervention. So I have been referred to a local general surgeon who has had many successes via either the band but mainly from the sleeve. After speaking with him and reading heaps of material I decided to just do it. But when I contact my private health insurer I found I would be out of pocket in excess of $7,000.00! I was really shocked I've got top hospital cover with HIF and basically the only thing they will pay for is the room in hospital!
    I am so out of pocket it isn't funny! I'm so disappointed! I don't have that kind of money sitting in my bank. I'm recently retired due to a workplace injury so my super has been converted to a pension. This obviously is a huge problem for anyone with PHI who is considering surgery to really change their life and who is on top cover only to find they are really not covered at all!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Deb26
    Surgeon
    Mr Stephen Clifforth
    Last Activity
    04-11-2017 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Doreen,

I don't think there are any Private Health Insurancers who actually cover you for the whole procedure whether it be the band or sleeve. I recently decided that I had to seriously consider some type of surgical intervention so I have been referred to a local general surgeon who would be able to help me. I've seen him and he has had numerous success stories and believed I'd be an ideal candidate. So after doing heaps of reading and deciding to just do it, I contacted my PHI only to find out that even though I've been with them for years and having top cover I would be out of pocket over $7,000! I was shocked, angry and so disappointed, there is no way I can cover this amount myself. I thought that paying for top cover which included this type of surgery I might be out of pocket for 1-2 thousand but not in excess of 7! I'm retired from work due to a workplace injury and my super has been converted into a pension so now I have to go on the public waiting list which will take years!