Dr. Jon Schram
    Last Activity
    03-10-2015 11:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Lap band to sleeve Revision: The approval process

Hello all!

In 2006, I had the lap band surgery. In 2010, my band slipped and my doctor took out all of the liquid. A few weeks later, I went back and got more liquid put in. It slipped again shortly after doing that. But I never went to the doctor and was living with a slipped band, mainly because I lived in the mountains and was pretty far from a bariatric doctor. It caused me to vomit several times a day and every night I aspirated, choking on food I had eaten several hours before. My husband finally gave me an ultimatum, telling me I needed to go to a doctor. I went last week. As I expected, the doc informed me my band had slipped. He suggested a revision to a sleeve, which is what I was hoping for. He said his office would be putting together the information for the insurance company. Typically, how long does it take for the insurance company to approve or disapprove the procedure, once submitted? Has anyone had a similar situation and was disapproved? For those who have had the revision procedure from a lap band to a sleeve, what are your thoughts? I appreciate all of your insight!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Touliatos
    Last Activity
    08-17-2015 11:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 28 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Lap band to sleeve Revision: The approval process

I had the band for about 6 years. Initially, I lost about 30 lbs but not much more after that. I ate slider foods because real food would get hung and I would spend a lot of time in the bathroom throwing up. So, I went to my doctor in November of 2014 and I was sleeved Jan 30, 2015. I am just a little over a month out but so far, I am very happy with the sleeve. I can eat so much more (variety wise) than I ever could with the band. I was told the weight loss would be slower than if I was a first time WLS patient but I am still happy with my weight loss thus far (25 lbs.)

I had a three week stall 2 weeks post-op which really sucked. Thank goodness for this forum or I would have been very discouraged. Thankfully, the scale has started to move again. Hope this helps you!!