02/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ben Tanner
    Last Activity
    08-30-2015 05:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default My Pre-Sleeve Diet does not look like anyone else's and I am worried about that!

My surgery date is 2/24/2015. I am starting at 306 lbs./ BMI 49.5 I was not required to lose any weight prior to surgery EXCEPT that I am supposed to do a diet the 2 weeks prior to the surgery. And I am doing it, but I have searched this site and the web and so far I am seeing no other diets looking like mine.

My diet is 1500 calories a day and low fat. As I look around at other people's diets, even though there is a range of diet restrictions, my "restrictions" look very relaxed and my caloric intake is way higher than most people on this restrictive phase.

The whole purpose of this is to shrink my liver etc to make surgery safer and easier to do it laproscopically. Now, I am freaking out because I am wondering if my diet is actually going to do that. From what I am gathering, people are saying the restrictions it takes to get everything shrunk is way more restrictive than mine.

Any thoughts on this?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    02/13/2015
    Surgeon
    Paul Macik, MD
    Last Activity
    10-10-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 28 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My Pre-Sleeve Diet does not look like anyone else's and I am worried about that!

Mine was "no carbs" for 2 weeks, no more than 20 carbs/day. Every surgeon is different but you could always call his office and ask some questions.
    My post op is different but I'm going with it- 32 oz of clear liquids and 32 oz of skim milk per day. I think the most important thing is to ask questions and trust your surgeon.

Pre-surgery weight: 279
    Day of surgery: 274
    6 weeks: 247
    8 weeks: 234
    10 weeks: 229
    16 weeks: 220
    18 weeks: 216

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    DARRLA
    Surgery date
    01/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Todd Foreman
    Last Activity
    10-14-2015 08:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 77 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: My Pre-Sleeve Diet does not look like anyone else's and I am worried about that!

My pre op instructions were full liquids for 2 days prior to surgery and clear liquids for 24 hours prior to surgery. That was it, well, and the prep drink the night before. My surgery was 1/21 and I did fine! It's crazy how many different pre op diets there are out there! Good luck!

Highest weight: 254
    Surgery day: 242 (-12)
    2 weeks post op: 232 (-22)
    One month post op: 227 (-27)
    Two months post op: 217 (-37)
    Three months post op: 208 (-46)
    4 months: 202 (-52)
    5 months: 197 (-57)

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    12/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Larson
    Last Activity
    01-15-2018 09:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 81 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 325 Times

I only had to not eat from midnight the night before. No issues with my surgery, at least not that I am aware of. It seems every doctor has their own requirements. I think it is best not to compare, if you trust your dr. do as he says. You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure it out... Good luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ben Tanner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Ok. I am starting to feel a little better. Thank you for your replies and I welcome any more that anyone may have.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member linzy2886's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/04/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-27-2015 08:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries

my diet is just liquids for 3 days pre op. I think every doctor is different and every sized person gets a diff diet. I wouldnt stress yourself about something like that.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

Assuming you're not completely sedentary, you'd need somewhere around 3000 kcal to maintain your weight (guesstimate based on your BMI). 1500 kcal would cut your consumption in 1/2. Unless your diet is composed pretty much completely of carbohydrates in the same quantity as your previous diet w/o going over your limit... that would most definitely shrink your liver (glycogen stores depletion and fatty liver reserves spent, ultimately resulting in weight loss). I've seen a variety of different diet requirements and for my doctor, patients w/ a BMI >40 has looser allowances. If you want to restrict yourself more, it's worth talking to your doc/nut.

Surgery date
    01/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kemmeter
    Last Activity
    01-19-2020 05:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

Every program is different both pre AND post-op. Always follow your surgeons plan. They have a reason for why they do what they do. If you read the posts on here everyone's plans vary. Unless of course you are going to the same Dr. for the procedure. Which a lot of members here have used doctors in Mexico. So of course their instruction will/should be the same. Follow the plan given to you and you will be fine!
    “Once you have established the goals you want and the price you’re willing to pay, you can ignore the minor hurts, the opponent’s pressure and the temporary failures.” - Vince Lombardi

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

The liver shrinking is acheived by uber low carb - I had to do it for 2 weeks preop. I about died, I can't imagine how people who have to go all liquids or have very long preop diets.

The longer duration/different types of preop diets acheive different goals than liver shrinking. Not saying that is a bad thing - it can be really encouraging to jump start your weight loss... but for me the restrictions preop (when I was freaking always hungry with that bottomless pit of stomach) versus post op where much much harder.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

I had to do a 2 week low fat low carb liquid diet. It was not easy but I managed it and so will you. Stick to what they say and you will do great.

Good luck
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ben Tanner
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

An update....

I had my surgery 2/24. My surgeon said my liver etc were shrunk and made everything easy and fast. So happy to know that it worked out even with my restrictions.

I wanted to follow up incase anyone had a similar question in the future and came across this post. Thanks to all!

Surgery date
    09/22/2012
    Surgeon
    Mr Chris Sutton
    Last Activity
    11-10-2015 06:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 37 Times
    Was Thanked 748 Times in 671 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 482 Times
    Blog Entries

My pre-op diet was low fat low cal (1000 cals) and I was a start weight of around 235. Yours sounds pretty similar to me.

The point is to reduce the fatty liver. Low fat intake is great for that. Good luck.