Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    11-30-2015 10:17 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Dr Juan Corvala / Hosp Angeles May 2015

Hello all,
    After exhaustive research, I selected Dr. Corvala for my gastric sleeve.
    There were 3-4 surgeons that seemed highly qualified based upon fellowship training, FACS and international reputation, etc... I hear that Hosp Angeles is the premier and true full service hospital in TJ that the US Embassy uses.
    I will be staying 4 nites at Hosp Angeles followed by two in a hotel as part of my package.
    Anybody going to be in TJ around May 20?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/30/2015
    Surgeon
    corvala
    Last Activity
    08-29-2015 11:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Dr Juan Corvala / Hosp Angeles May 2015

i'll be arriving in tj on june 22 for surgery with dr corvala on june 23. please let me know how it goes for you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Sent you a PM

Surgery date
    08/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Corvala
    Last Activity
    05-15-2015 05:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey,I haven't been on the board in a while,but I posted in this sub forum about Dr.Corvala.Awesome dude,awesome experience,awesome hotel.Shopping and a movie theater within easy walking distance if you feel up to it.Anything I can do feel free to ask.If you care I'm a 38 year old male,had surgery in August at around 325,currently feeling great at 250.Goal is 185-195,currently losing about 10-15 pounds a month.I'll try to stop by soon if you have any specific questions
    all the best
    sean

Surgery date
    08/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I have returned!I'll try to keep this short since no one likes long posts and Im also a horrible writer

Day 1
    I was told if I flew in to San Diego before 10am surgery would be that day,so I arrived at 955.Driver was right on time and called me the second I landed and met me out front,guess he didn't want to pay to park at the airport.I was the only one in the van and it was about a 30 minute drive to the hospital.
    15 minutes or so of paperwork and collecting my cashiers check (6500 US) we were on to blood work and getting me checked into my room.Room was a very nice private room,but the couch if you brought someone with you doesnt fold out and looks awful.Doctor Corvala introduced himself and spoke very good english.
    Surgery
    I was the only one,so the guy giving me the gas said it was only oxygen so I waited for the gas to hit.Well,he must have lied because I woke up about 2 hours later being put in my room.
    Day2
    Nurses don't speak little if any english,but are very caring and compassionate.It seemed someone was coming in my room every 30 minutes or so for IV checks or massages.WIFI is pretty slow and tv has 3 channels,they do have a dvd player but I didn't bring any
    Day 3
    Pretty much same as day 2,I walk around a pretty empty but super clean and quite hospital.Im surprised at how great Im feeling.Doctor has checked on me a few times by now,and finally JELLO!
    Day 4
    I was offered to go to the hotel (Camino Real) if I feel up to it and the drain is removed.Hotel is a solid 3.5 star hotel with better internet and tv.As soon as I put my bags down a guy beats on my door bringing me fresh cookies (seriously..)There is a 7/11 type store right next door so I bought some gatorade to keep my fluid up.Hotel doesn't have any of those popsicles,ice chips or broth others do,but I just wanted liquids anyways
    Day 5
    I felt good enough to walk over to the mall (There were no organized shopping trips like Ive read from others)Its barely a block.The prices at the mall are super high and the same as your local mall,they do have an awesome movie theater (yes in english) so I saw Hercules.Cops everywhere at the mall,you'll feel safe.
    Day 6
    Driver picked me up at noon,I do not have a passport,just a birth certificate and my license.Van has the medical pass thing so 10 minutes we were at the crossing.Border guy asked me why I didn't have a passport,but just entered my name and we were on our way to San Diego.
    Driver dropped me off at a local hotel,went to the baseball game last night (padres suck) caught an early flight home today.Feel like a million bucks
    End of story
    If you have any questions feel free!Only slightest negative I have was I had to pay for my prescriptions,i was told 100 bucks it was almost 200.Other than that great experience!

Here is my post from the thread.All I can say is that I wish I had done it 5 years ago.

7. Said thanks:

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Thanks ssloan!!!!
    Did you need to bring any bandage related material?
    How many nites did you stay in the hospital and then the hotel?

Surgery date
    08/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Nope didn't bring anything.I stayed at the hotel 3 days.i was going stir crazy and needed out.they offered to let me stay the whole time if i wanted.3 days at the hospital 2 at the hotel,then I stayed an extra night in San diego

Surgery date
    08/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Screw the bandages and bring some Dvds to watch is my advice

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-10-2015 12:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been thinking about dr. corvala but what concerned me was that I was told that he does a 36 bougie and the standard recommended size is now 32. I inquired whether he could do a 32 if I requested it and then was told a different story that he does a 32. Just the change throws a red flag but I will still consider him because he is good. Did you have any conversation about the bougie size?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

I am booked for next month. Regarding bougie size, I spoke to a surgeon who said that there is more variation in stomach size based upon surgical and closure technique as compared to the very small differential in Bougie size. I am more concerned with the closure technique and the specific protocol that the anesthesiologist uses to knock us out and manage us on the surgery day. So far, I am impressed with the protocols. Hospital and Dr Corvala seem to be world class. I will find out soon enough.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

I have very high expectations for Hosp Angeles and Dr. Corvala. I am expecting an experience on par with the top NYC bariatric programs. One month to go so time will tell if the hosp and doc are as good as their credentials and reputation. I will report back with a thorough critique in when I return the end of May. Thanks for the advice Ssloan.

Surgery date
    08/20/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr.Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sleeveroo View Post
    I have very high expectations for Hosp Angeles and Dr. Corvala. I am expecting an experience on par with the top NYC bariatric programs. One month to go so time will tell if the hosp and doc are as good as their credentials and reputation. I will report back with a thorough critique in when I return the end of May. Thanks for the advice Ssloan.
    Awesome glad I could help.Ive lost around 90 pounds so far.Waist is down from about a 44 to a 37.Im not sure if 195 is possible,but Im gonna give it a shot.They will take good care of you

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Ok, DVDs and band aids / dressings! The fresh dressings etc take up just about no space or weight in your carry on. The nurses handed me a couple fresh dressings & bandaids upon discharge from the hospital & told me I didn't need to change most of the bandaids when showering - just the one at the drain site. No,,, don't think so! I wasn't about to have bandaids soaked with shower water sitting on a fresh incision. Besides, I have latex allergy and none of the dressings I was given were latex free. Most of those of us who travel to Mexico for surgery will have at least a couple day stay in a hotel afterwards before flying back home. So good to be prepared. I had a thermometer, scopalamine patches also. Extra pajama bottoms came in handy because one pair got all screwed up with drainage while I was still in the hospital.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Juan Corvala
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times

Good idea Luann. I am spending 6 total nites in TJ. Bringing scopolamine for the last day including flight home, Zofran, Meclizine, Vicodin ES, pre-op Nutricia, Emend for pre op, Hibiclens scrub brush for pre op nite, Isopure RTD bottles, acetaminophen suppositories, sterimstrips, band aid, sterile gauze, electrolyte drops, etc.... Probably overkill but gives me peace of mind.
    I will be at Hospital Angeles 4 nites and hotel 2 nites. They have narcotic pain meds only if truly needed.

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Wow, you ARE prepared! I love it. I got a small box of tramadol, it would have been toradol but I was still trying to avoid steroid like meds due to a fusion that still had not healed. Pain wasn't bad at all at least for me, except for right when I woke up in the recovery room. My back hurt a lot worse than my sleeve did while I was in the hotel. I hope you get by with very little discomfort too. For me the nausea was by far the biggest factor post op.

I forgot I had a small supply of zofran too. Had hit my head badly a couple weeks before my trip. Got cleared for any real damage but they gave me some zofran - I hoarded it for my upcoming trip. I think it helped - maybe I would have been even worse off without it.