Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-28-2015 04:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Post This is important-please read!

Hello from Tijuana.
    My name is Kevin. This is the 3rd time I have been down to Mexico. Let me tell you my story. First and most importantly, 2 things. I am a registered nurse and spent many years working in surgery, I am 49 and live in Iowa. Second, I am writting this simply to get information out to all of you. I am not in anyway connected to any group or facility and really I have not posted on this kind of website for 3 years.

In Jan 2012 I came to Tijuana to have gastric sleeve surgery with Dr. Almanza. I was 80 pounds overwieght and had diabetes, high blood pressure and high cholesterol. The Trifecta. After much research and honestly after talking several times with Melissa Bracker who many of you may have talked to already, I decided to have my surgery at St. Jeruselum Hospital with Dr. Almanza. I was really not fully prepared for what I experienced at his facility. While my experience was OK, I was surprised at how packed in like cattle we were and how completely wrong the facility was for surgery, we literal had to walk down a flight of stairs right after surgery to get to our post op room. IT IS NEXT DOOR TO A PITTSBURG PAINT STORE. Anyway, my surgery went well and I loved the hotel that we stayed in after. I NEVER saw the doctor other than a ten minute meeting before surgery. Afterwards I actually had to fight with the nurses who were trying to pump MORE IV fluids into me because I KNEW my blood pressure was to high already and they would not listen to me. NOTE that the doctor did 15 surgeries the day I was there.

I came home three days later and all but one of my incisions opened up. I am lucky that I have immediate access to healthcare that most people do not as I work with doctors in a clinic. Everything finally healed outside and honestly the surgery internal was great and I have slowly but surely become a much skinnier and healthier person. I am down 80 pounds and have NO ISSUES other than I burp when I drink diet coke......

4 months later I was asked by two very important family members to travel back to Tijuana so they could have the surgery. I connected them with Melissa and helped get them set up for surgery. I went with them to be there as a companion. All seemed similar when we arrived except that the number of patients had gone way up. We literally had to wait outside the clinic to get in so that my daughter and step mom could get prepped for surgery.

Once they were ready I left them and headed to the hotel knowing that I would not need to be there as I would not see the doctor after surgery. At 3 am I get a call from the lobby of the hotel from my duaghter who is bawling. Dr. Almanza's staff had come in to the recovery rooms and got all of the patients up and made them WALK to the van and then into the hotel within hours after surgery in the middle of the night. THE HOTEL DID NOT EVEN HAVE ROOMS FOR THEM. It was the worst experience I have ever had in my life, watching two people I love go through this.
    The entire stay was terrible. WAY TO MANY patients and not enough staff or room. Luckily both my daughter and step mom have done very well long term post op. The overall surgery was successful but the risk and treatment at the facility was not good, actually dangerous.

Three days ago I brought my business partner down for the sleeve. I was more reluctant to move forward with surgery at the same facility but I felt like I could manage things for her now that I knew what was up. Luckily a week before our travel I got a call from Melissa explaining that things had really gone wrong at St. Jeruselum and that while it was our choice, she felt that we might like to go someplace else. Of course I wanted to understand this troubling call so spent time researching and talking with folks. We decided to make a move and we are NOW HERE at Trinity Medical in Tijuana. I can only say this.......I wish I had known about this facility sooner. THe doctors and staff our incredible. The entire philosophy of the center is based on QUALITY patient care. The experience for my buisness partner Darcy and others here who I have talked to has been incredible. Of course as a surgical nurse I have asked to see the entire facility and meet the entire staff. I have been very impressed and Darcy has had hands on care by the nurses and doctors constantly. THe hotel we moved to after the first night is literaly in the same parking lot and the doctors come back and forth.

I asked the staff to help me spread the word about this awesome place and hence my post tonight. The do a max of 5 procedures a day and quality is the key here. I would love to share more with anyone who wants to ask. I am headed back to Iowa on Thursday and will be back at work and on with my life. Darcy has watched me and my family go through this and it is just such a wonderful positive thing to do if you are overweight and tired of not losing weight. It changed MY LIFE.

I am getting nothing from this, I mean that. I feel it is way to important to share our experience and about this new facility. The doctors all trained with one of the top surgeons in the world in this field. They also do many other procedures but I cannot speak to those. The people you will meet with stay with you for the rest of your life. Rick, Melissa, Nathan, Eliza and the doctors for starters.

I wish you all the best in whatever you do as you look at this option in your life. If you want pictures, let me know and I can send.

Choose wisely and change your life,

Kevin
    Reason: spelling errors

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Laycock
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Default Re: This is important-please read!

So.....you didn't think it was important enough to share (at that time) what you thought were dangerous conditions and potentially save lives.....but you do feel it important enough to wax ecstatic about the new facility that did not even do your surgery..... ooooookkkkkaaaaayyyy

Surgery date
    06/09/2014
    Surgeon
    dr. curiel
    Last Activity
    06-28-2016 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I used Dr curiel at medical tourism. They too have an awesome hospital and only 4 to 5 procedure a day. You have a driver that takes everywhere and the beautiful hotel. I would recommend them highly.

Goal 1----lose 50 pounds in one month----done 7-4-14
    Goal 2----get to twoferland 8/7/14
    Goal 3----lose 70 lbs 8/7/14
    Goal 4----get to 250

Name
    Lora
    Surgery date
    08/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-12-2016 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

Quote Originally Posted by thinmaninside View Post
    It was the worst experience I have ever had in my life
    Sorry to say, your post is very strange. For someone who had the worst experience of their life, it is weird that you continued to do business with Almanza. My experience with Dr. Almanza was not perfect, but I am confused by your whole story.

7/29/2014: 324 lbs
    8/29/2014: 305 lbs (surgery date)
    9/29/2014: 289 lbs
    10/29/2014: 281 lbs
    11/29/2014: 271 lbs
    12/29/2014: 263 lbs
    1/29/2015: 257 lbs
    2/28/2015: 250 lbs
    3/29/2015: 246 lbs
    4/29/2015: 239 lbs
    5/29/2015: 237 lbs
    6/29/2015: 232 lbs
    7/29/2015: 227 lbs
    8/29/2015: 225 lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member sassyrae21's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-20-2016 05:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 11 Posts

Dr. Almanza did my surgery on Dec 12th, 2014 and my experience was nothing like what you describe. There was five or six of us scheduled for that day, not 15. The hotel was nice, the nurses were good and knowledgeable. Yes, you have to walk to the van. You won't die. The gas pain sucks but that's all it is, it's not actual pain from the incisions or the new sleeve. If the patient travels with guests, then yes, you have to book your own room and pay for it yourself. Did they book the room ahead of time? I had no problems getting a room, it was all taken care of for me, but I traveled alone and had another patient as a roommate.

If you are comparing this hospital to a hospital in the US, then yes you may be overly critical of how they operate. If this is the case, get your procedure done in the US. Mexico has different guidelines and they do things differently. It is not dirty, dingy or have used needles lying around. For a small hospital, it is nice.

I had NO issues post op, my incisions healed perfectly within 12 days. I haven't had an ounce of pain or negative side effects from having my surgery with Dr. Almanza.

What were the health issues you speak of? You didn't mention any of them. Pretty sure this post is from another Doc's office trying to pull business away from Dr. Almanza. There's a reason Dr. Almanza has performed well over 10,000 of these surgeries, maybe he knows what the hell he is doing? Anyway, I'm completely satisfied with my care, I would recommend him to anyone.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member rockscott40's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    01/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-16-2017 11:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,066 Times
    Blog Entries

Dr. Almanza did my surgery on Jan 6th, 2015 and my experience was nothing like what you describe. Not even close!!!!! They did a great job, hotel was fine, hospital was nice with people giving great care......

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Kristen
    Surgery date
    06/18/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-09-2015 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Was Thanked 251 Times in 218 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 185 Times
    Blog Entries

Odd this is your first and only post. And why would you take people down for surgery with a doctor and facility you felt you had a bad experience with?

I had a very positive experience with Dr. A.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

This website is biased, they receive monies (Pesos) from the surgeons and who knows who else.
    Dr A's name will come up with a hyperlink when entered in a post (just one of a few hyperlinks automatically created).
    I will not comment on any of the surgeons who advertise. They did not perform my surgery. From what I read, the more frequently mentioned surgeons in these posts are very competent and very professional with almost always successful outcomes.

It is feasible that someone may be trying to pull business away from him.
    I also remember the accusations that people who are coordinators for those surgeons acting as forum members either promoting their surgeon or befriending a newbie who is researching the procedure to try to sway them for the financial compensation of referring a patient; either with posts or private messages -that is also very low, it should be divulged if you have a vested interest and are biased.

But people are people (whether it is a Depeche Mode song or there is the almighty Dollar (or Peso, etc.) involved).

Unfortunately, it is difficult sometimes to pick out the wolves who are in sheep's clothing.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thinmaninside's Avatar
    Surgery date
    01/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Good morning from Mexico. For all of you above who think this is a POST from someone who is working for a center, you would be mistaken. You see, before this experience I had no good frame of reference about how things went down here. I never said that I had a terrible outcome, I am very very thankful for Dr. Almanza and what he did for me.

I am sure most of us that have come down for this life changing surgery feel good about the experience. I am not putting DOWN anybody's experience here, just telling you HOW MINE WENT. I have had the advanatage of going through this and then watching as others have gone through as well.

Just an update.....the hotel that you would have stayed in down here for Dr. Almanza caught fire and is now going through a large renovation. I am sure many had wonderful small groups having surgery and for those who had a good experience, I am happy for you.

I am an RN. As I stated above I simply want to pass on what info I can telling you MY EXPERIENCE. Things are so much nicer and more patient centered here and I am sure at other places. The only way any of us can make good decisions about our health is to listen to facts from lots of people.

I am on facebook. You can look me up. see my before and after pictures. I do not make a big deal about what I had done, I again am not connected to any company related to this stuff. Sad that many of you cannot accept that someone can be critical without some kind of benefit........I am just trying to help folks make a decision.

Here is my facebook info. Please be kind. I just want you to know what I know. And just so we are clear per one post above, I am NOT working with Dr. Almanza...not sure where that came from???

Face book.................kevin.babb1

kevin

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thinmaninside View Post
    Good morning from Mexico. For all of you above who think this is a POST from someone who is working for a center, you would be mistaken. You see, before this experience I had no good frame of reference about how things went down here. I never said that I had a terrible outcome, I am very very thankful for Dr. Almanza and what he did for me.

I am sure most of us that have come down for this life changing surgery feel good about the experience. I am not putting DOWN anybody's experience here, just telling you HOW MINE WENT. I have had the advanatage of going through this and then watching as others have gone through as well.

Just an update.....the hotel that you would have stayed in down here for Dr. Almanza caught fire and is now going through a large renovation. I am sure many had wonderful small groups having surgery and for those who had a good experience, I am happy for you.

I am an RN. As I stated above I simply want to pass on what info I can telling you MY EXPERIENCE. Things are so much nicer and more patient centered here and I am sure at other places. The only way any of us can make good decisions about our health is to listen to facts from lots of people.

I am on facebook. You can look me up. see my before and after pictures. I do not make a big deal about what I had done, I again am not connected to any company related to this stuff. Sad that many of you cannot accept that someone can be critical without some kind of benefit........I am just trying to help folks make a decision.

Here is my facebook info. Please be kind. I just want you to know what I know. And just so we are clear per one post above, I am NOT working with Dr. Almanza...not sure where that came from???

Face book.................kevin.babb1

kevin
    Some people who had a positive experience with those surgeons may take offense if you say something negative about their surgeon.
    Unfortunately there are some people who will say negative or positive things for monetary gain. I am not saying you are one of them.

It is important that people read both sides of the post VSG outcomes. A small percentage of people will have issues during or following the surgery, even at the highest acclaimed bariatric surgery hospitals in the U.S. (rated level 1A by the ASMBS).

This surgery does involve some risk, but the long term health aspects of obesity are far worse.

Some people interpreted what you wrote as "Your baby is ugly!", I didn't, maybe you should have said "Would your baby care for a banana?".

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Name
    Lora
    Surgery date
    08/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-12-2016 10:26 AM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

I think the confusion is that you started out severely criticizing your experiences with Dr. A and then turned into a "this is the best doctor ever" post. A lot of people probably just read the first half of your post and thought you only came to vent.

7/29/2014: 324 lbs
    8/29/2014: 305 lbs (surgery date)
    9/29/2014: 289 lbs
    10/29/2014: 281 lbs
    11/29/2014: 271 lbs
    12/29/2014: 263 lbs
    1/29/2015: 257 lbs
    2/28/2015: 250 lbs
    3/29/2015: 246 lbs
    4/29/2015: 239 lbs
    5/29/2015: 237 lbs
    6/29/2015: 232 lbs
    7/29/2015: 227 lbs
    8/29/2015: 225 lbs

Surgery date
    01/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks for the input. This is my first experience with this doctor. I know this, Darcy, who I am here with has seen the doctor daily since her surgery. I NEVER saw Dr. Almanza after. I guess the best way to put it is that I have been very overwelmed by the difference in experience and I want to share that.

I am going to post my before and after pics just so everyone has a face with a name.

Kevin

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

This story in some respect is similar to my experience in 2012. The clinic, the stairs and for me noisey staff at night, but they respected my request for quiet unlike the staff at my local hospt. here in Canada. Noisy all night.

The clinic was very clean, the staff were very helpful. I am a success story.

I believe that the clinic has upgraded and it is quite different today.

Bottom line for me was professional service, cost and availability. My needs were met.

Surgery date
    01/16/2012
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Joanne, you would have been there a few months after me. I am also a success story. There is much I have not posted here about what I have found out about St. Jeruselum. Yes they are in a nicer facility but I would tell everyone looking to go there to be very careful and do good research. knowledge is power for people wanted to make informed decisions.

Kevin

Surgery date
    04/29/2014
    Surgeon
    David Schroeder
    Last Activity
    12-26-2015 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poppa View Post
    This website is biased, they receive monies (Pesos) from the surgeons and who knows who else.
    Dr A's name will come up with a hyperlink when entered in a post (just one of a few hyperlinks automatically created).
    I will not comment on any of the surgeons who advertise. They did not perform my surgery. From what I read, the more frequently mentioned surgeons in these posts are very competent and very professional with almost always successful outcomes.

It is feasible that someone may be trying to pull business away from him.
    I also remember the accusations that people who are coordinators for those surgeons acting as forum members either promoting their surgeon or befriending a newbie who is researching the procedure to try to sway them for the financial compensation of referring a patient; either with posts or private messages -that is also very low, it should be divulged if you have a vested interest and are biased.

But people are people (whether it is a Depeche Mode song or there is the almighty Dollar (or Peso, etc.) involved).

Unfortunately, it is difficult sometimes to pick out the wolves who are in sheep's clothing.
    Thank you for the Depeche Mode reference :-) Takes me back to my childhood... *lol*
    1 month post op - 17.2kg/37lbs/2.7st lost
    2 months - 8.6kg/18lbs/1.37st
    3 months - 5.1kg/11lbs
    4 months - 5kg/11lbs
    5 months - 4.1kg/9lbs
    6 months - 4.5kg/9lbs
    73.1=50kg 7/12/14
    72.8kg=8st 10/12/14
    68.1=55kg,SURGEON'S GOAL!! & "normal" BMI - 20 Jan 15

66kg=9st, MY GOAL!!! 12 Feb 2015!!!