01/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Terracina
    Last Activity
    11-01-2016 09:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 128 Times

Default Re: What other options do we have post sleeve????

That's what I'm going back to. Like I said my bariatric post eating plan had stages. In the begining I wasn't even allowed carbs from fruit. That is when I lost the most. That is the stage of eating that I went back to and I did get in a phone convo with the nutritionist and that's exactly what she told me to do. Which I knew it was anyway. Like I already mentioned I was approved to graduate to adding more carbs, but that doesn't seem to work well for me. I will have to try to go real low on the carbs cuz realistically I'm not going to make it to anyone's gym. Like I said I work 12-14 hours overnight shift, hell last night I worked 16, and I'm working on a Masters at NYU. Most weeks I'm struggling to turn in assignments on time and it's solely because of the schedule cuz I never had issues prior to the overnight schedule. Since I know this I walk my whole break at work outside or the buildings, it's a military base so it's huge, and I also have to take long walks like every two hours at work to do my rounds.... I know I need to get in more exercise, but I don't really see where that's going to happen until some type of scheduling change. We shall see though.... According to my Dr I have to do at least 30 mins everyday. I do that much.... But could use more.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    01/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Terracina
    Last Activity
    11-01-2016 09:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 25 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 128 Times

Why has there been an assumption that I won't do what I can or need to though? I lost almost 100lbs and already over the percentage expected to loose from the surgery period. We are human you guys not robots. I know for a fact that no one on this board has eaten under 30g a carbs every single day, worked out several hours every single day, etc etc... Ummm.... yeah....

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 417 Times in 281 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 382 Times

I havent had time to read through all the responses, but if it hasnt been said - start lifting weights. The more muscle you have as a base, the higher your BMR. If you keep eating the same, your weight loss will start up again, and you will be able to eat more and continue losing and/or maintaining. The reason most people only hit about 60% loss is because they lose so much muscle along with the fat that their base metabolism is much lower over time - at the same time you start being able to eat more and more. You reach a new "calories in=calories out" equilibrium (our calories out are now "normal" due to loss of muscle, so online calculators will not be very accurate). The solution is either to eat less (which you really dont need to do - you are probably not eating a ton overall) or increase the calories "out" portion (through either cardio/exercise, or increasing the base amount of muscle you have... my preferred option! )

Start a weight lifting program - it should be full body and *progressive*. You can start with body weight only (You are your own gym or COnvict COnditioning) then move up to something like Starting Strength or Stronglifts. You only need about 45 minutes 3-4 times a week, and its not cardio (which you can do too if you want, or just walk more). Find a way - it will be well worth it.

I lose 55 pounds from surgery and was very "skinny-fat" (flat butt, skeletal arms and shoulders, stomach fat still) and stalled for a year and not quite where I wanted to be yet. Then I *gained* 20 pounds from not exercising and continuing to eat a little more (about 1700 calories). Then started weight lifting and dropped calories back to 1300 to start. Over the following 6 months, I upped my calories to 1800 (100 a month or so higher) and *lost* 30 pounds plus reshaped my whole body. I have continued since then and in the 8 months after that held my weight steady but lost more body fat - down from 25% to 17% during that time (started at 40%). I now eat about 2000-2200 calories a day to maintain my weight.

I could eat a 6 inch sub (slowly... over an hour or so). It makes a big difference* what* you eat in terms of how "restricted" you feel. I promise if you tried to eat the same *volume* of tuna as that sub, you would NOT be able to . Carbs digest quickly and leave your stomach sooner so you can continue to eat more. They are mostly air so you can fit a whole lot more in than you could something like tuna. In any case, do NOT rely on the restriction to decide when to stop eating - that is what made you gain weight int he first place, eating until you felt "full". Your stomach is a terrible indicator of whether you have eaten enough. If you know you can eat a 6 inch sub and "feel" it, then next time eat only 4-5 inches of it and stop (cut it up first, put the rest away). Then go do something else. Chances are you will be satisfied with the smaller amount - its a mental game. You should not feel "stuffed" ever, you should always stop before you "feel" your stomach restriction. Use your head to decide how much to eat, not your stomach. If you truly are hungry an hour or two later, have a snack of veggies - they have volume but low calories and let you chew.

Good luck... you really do not need another surgery, although if that is the option you take, it will probably end up similar - it will work for awhile, but everyone eventually can eat more so you will still need to learn better habits around food and exercise in the end. Building muscle is something you need to do regardless of whether you have the second surgery.

Hope it works out for you!

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Surgery date
    07/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pleatman
    Last Activity
    08-12-2020 09:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 243 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 68 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 25 Times

I would say get back to basics. It sounds like you just need to recharge. Remember that the sleeve is a tool - as are any WLS - not a 100% fail safe. I'd get back to basics and protein first and so on. Good luck.
    Day of Surgery 7/22: 201
    Month 1: 187
    Month 2: 176
    Month 3: 166
    Month 4: 158
    Month 5: 150
    Month 6: 143
    Month 7: 138
    Month 8: 133
    Month 9: 130 (reached target goal)
    Month 10: 126
    Month 11: 126
    Month 12: 123
    Month 13-18: 121-123 (weight range on maintenance)

Current goal: maintain weight in low 120s. Exercise 6 days a week - weight lifting, yoga, biking, running, paddleboarding, and just being active.

Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I'd like to echo everything jane_vsg_ayla said and add a few tips. Strength training burns more calories than just cardio. However, if you are aiming to lose fat, you also have to incorporate cardio. When you are at a point where you can incorporate exercise, alternate days. Do strength one day, 30 minutes of cardio the next, then strength, then cardio, then strength, and so on and so forth. Don't ever work the same muscle groups two days in a row. Don't do arms one day and arms the next day. Alternate. Do arms one day, legs the next. Get in some ab work with each strength training session. I also add things like planks and crunches to my cardio days. YOu can also do calf raises or calf strengthening exercises every day. Abs and calves are the only muscle groups that can be worked every day. The rest must alternate so there is a resting period in between.
    I know you don't have time for the gym on a regular basis, but there is so much you can do on your off days. I was losing steadily, but I didn't start to see drastic differences in the shape of my body until I started working out. And WOW! The weight melted away and my body took on a whole new shape! I MAKE time for it now. If I can't do it during the week, I make sure I do it on the weekend. All you need is 30 minutes a few times a week. It's about being kind to yourself. We all can work in 30 minutes somewhere. I work full time, commute two hours, have twins, and am working on my degree. If I can find time for it, anyone can.
    I hope you find this information helpful. Good luck!

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Nailsinthecityy_VSG's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mark Cavaretta, MD
    Last Activity
    07-13-2015 11:40 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

You sound really determined, so I'm confident you'll do ok Hopefully, the thought of a second surgery was out of desperation (we've ALL had that feeling.."the scale isn't moving! I must of broke my sleeve!" Lol). 100 lbs is an awesome loss! Being that you're a year out, it's not going to come off as quickly now; your body has had time to adjust.
    Yes, a six inch sub is more than most sleevers can eat - however, we all have days were we can consume more than we normally can. If it's something you're worried about, then maybe measure out your food. As you probably know, our hungry & full signals feel different now, so you can't always go by them. Also, consider doing the 5 Day Pouch Test. I tell anyone who will listen how it broke my carb addiction But a lot of people say that it helps renew their sense of restriction too.
    Good luck girl! Work that sleeve!

Gastric Sleeve Member Ibleedblue's Avatar
    Name
    Leah McIntosh
    Surgery date
    02/03/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-01-2023 07:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

If you cant get approved to do the lap band, could you do the same postop diet you did after the sleeve? Maybe not the clear liquids but just protein shakes for a week or two?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I surely didn't intend to sound that way - you have done great!

I had a lapband for 10 years and while it works well for some people (lots of success stories on this very forum!) I have a hard time understanding going from a sleeve to a lapband. I just dont see that as a solution to your current situation. I ended a 10 year stint wiht a band much heavier than I started...

It seems to me you are determined, you have lost an amazing amount of weight and lets be honest we all have our own journey and our own body types.

So, maybe you would be a little better off under 200# but I think the MOST important thing is protecting and maintaining your losses. Life is so good in the 200s versus the 300s (I have spent alot of time in that general range so I can attest to that!!!). I think you have a wonderful attitude and I say just keep "working" that sleeve and continue to celebrate your success!!

Quote Originally Posted by Onilew0984 View Post
    Why has there been an assumption that I won't do what I can or need to though? I lost almost 100lbs and already over the percentage expected to loose from the surgery period. We are human you guys not robots. I know for a fact that no one on this board has eaten under 30g a carbs every single day, worked out several hours every single day, etc etc... Ummm.... yeah....
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!